Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to get a Amex and Discover card after BK Chapter 13

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Trying to get a Amex and Discover card after BK Chapter 13

My Bk was discharged over 2 years ago after 5 years of paying. My score is 803 Trans and 805 Equi. I got us bank Amex card, Citibank AA card and many others. Both Amex and Discover where included in my BK. Any advice will be appreciated. I tried to apply for both Amex and Discover card with no luck. Thanks
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Trying to get a Amex and Discover card after BK Chapter 13

@Anonymous wrote:
My Bk was discharged over 2 years ago after 5 years of paying. My score is 803 Trans and 805 Equi. I got us bank Amex card, Citibank AA card and many others. Both Amex and Discover where included in my BK. Any advice will be appreciated. I tried to apply for both Amex and Discover card with no luck. Thanks

Sounds like you are BL right now..., but if you were a BK13, and paid them back, plus your file date has passed the 5 yr rule with Amex, it may just take time. Did your EX report get pulled at all for the Amex app? If not, youre on BL, if you did get a HP, what was your reason on the denial letter??

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, I didn’t get a HP from Amex, I did get one from Discover. So I’m guessing that I’m blacklisted.
Message 3 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
No, I didn’t get a HP from Amex, I did get one from Discover. So I’m guessing that I’m blacklisted.

AMEX might be a while (very long memories) even if Ch 13.  But, IIRC Discover can be more forgiving.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX has a very, very long memory.  Look at 10+ years before they approve you. ymmv

Message 5 of 12
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Was the BK the reason of denial for the Discover?.. Discover likes to see at least 2 years after discharge usually... usually because they are a bit unpredictable but some folks have reported thats what was suggested... wait another 6 months or a year and try again on the disco.... But even once you get appoved.. its likely not to be a fast growing discover... gonna probably take the scenic route for a bit on CLIs.... 

Amex is a tough cookie to crack esp when you burned them... they have a long term memory... if you can pay them back, you might be able to shorten that.... 

-J

Message 6 of 12
stinastina
Established Contributor

There's a thread on bk friendly cards where the consensus is that Amex will likely approve you 5 years post filing but since you did Ch 13 maybe discharge would be more applicable. And Discover is hit or miss. I hope you don't waste hard pulls on Discover. You can see if you prequailfy from their site.

BK7 Discharge 1/16
10/15 ~ EQ: 406; TU: 520
10/18 ~ EX: 666; TU: 646; EQ: 652
Message 7 of 12
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

OP is way past the 5yr mark for Amex...states he is 2 yrs post discharge already which means his file date with a BK 13 was years before that, and with scores 800's. OP is currently BL right now with AMEX even in a pay back BK13. Amex never pulled him which means BL.

OP...Keep trying every month or two, check their prequel site and see if you have any offers.
Message 8 of 12
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Pizza is better at this stuff than I am. But when it comes to Disco... I definitely would sign up for Credit Scorecard if you havent and put yourself on Discovers radar.... they seem to use the SP score as part of the approval and/or prequalify ..... Also can sometimes mean one less HP when you app... =)

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried the prequali for Amex, and I’m getting prequal for 3 of their cards but not luck.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.