Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Bank AR

tag
hawkins
Frequent Contributor

US Bank AR

So I applied for the Altitude Reserve today which was unfortunately denied. When I called recon to try to appeal the denial they told me I must be a US Bank customer first before getting that card. Now I was under the impression they removed that obstacle last year or so. Please correct me if I'm wrong about that or not. Either the rep was misinformed or I was. I'm hoping it was the rep. Either way I asked for a manual review so time will tell if that will produce something or not. Bummer but oh well life moves on.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: US Bank AR

There is at least 1 datapoint in the dedicated thread on Flyertalk where someone with no previous relationship with USBank was approved.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34681091-post1969.html

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 2 of 6
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I remember doing some research last year as it was pointed out to me that they "accountholder" requirement included other cards,  not necessarily a bank account if that helps...

Message 3 of 6
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@cashorcharge wrote:

I remember doing some research last year as it was pointed out to me that they "accountholder" requirement included other cards,  not necessarily a bank account if that helps...

That's correct.  There have also been reports over the last few years about going in-branch without having any kind of prior relationship and walking out with a deposit account opened immediately followed by an AR application + approval i.e. their mininum requirement for length of time one has been an accountholder to qualify for an AR approval was not completely immutable.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 4 of 6
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@hawkins wrote:

So I applied for the Altitude Reserve today which was unfortunately denied. When I called recon to try to appeal the denial they told me I must be a US Bank customer first before getting that card. Now I was under the impression they removed that obstacle last year or so. Please correct me if I'm wrong about that or not. Either the rep was misinformed or I was. I'm hoping it was the rep. Either way I asked for a manual review so time will tell if that will produce something or not. Bummer but oh well life moves on.

You're right. The requirement to be an existing client was removed around September of last year.

Unless there are other issues with your credit profile, that shouldn't be one anymore.

Message 5 of 6
Aim_High
Super Contributor

I'm watching this thread because US Bank Altitude Reserve was back on my short list due to that very change.  I'm not in the geo-footprint for banking (they denied my deposit account inquiry.)    And I wasn't sure I wanted to open another US Bank card just to qualify for Altitude Reserve.  If that policy has changed back, it might alter my plans for new accounts in the next 24 months.

I tend to think the rep was mistaken since it was a recent policy change.   Hopefully, you'll find a favorable outcome shortly. Fingers crossed. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.