Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Bank Cash Plus CLI Offer E-Mail Bait and Switch

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

US Bank Cash Plus CLI Offer E-Mail Bait and Switch

I've been a US Bank Cash Plus cardholder for about 15 months.  I recieved a special CLI offer e-mail today and was invited to apply before the end of the month.  My account is in good standing, and always paid in full.  The e-mail said they already did an account review, so this would be pretty easy, right?  So I followed the link offer from my e-mail, inputted my current income and rent, and then got the underwritters are working on it message.  Ok, well, so much for the instant luv that I thought I was going to get.  Transunion sent me an e-mail later saying the US Bank computer tried to do a HP while my report was frozen, and thankfully so it was frozen. I went in thinking this would be a simple SP, and on your way with a modest increase.  I definitely felt like this was a bit of bait and switch by US Bank. If they call I will tell them forget about it, as I don't want to waste a HP on a possible modest CLI.  So if you get one of those US Bank E-Mails inviting you for a special CLI offer, pass on it unless you want to waste a HP.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: US Bank Cash Plus CLI Offer E-Mail Bait and Switch

At the bottom of the email in the terms or fine print does it suggest that a HP may be performed?

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

They said "may" but not always definite.  I always like to go on the asusmption that a targeted offer to an existing customer would be a SP.

Message 3 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

They said "may" but not always definite.  I always like to go on the asusmption that a targeted offer to an existing customer would be a SP.

You should always go with the assumption that it'll be HP, as evidenced by your data points.  It all boils down to internal profile criteria, since there are targetted invites that denote that no CR will be obtained and end up being SP, just like there are data points on individuals submitting online CLI request which yield SP results, yet others end up being HP. 

So, this isn't a bait-n-switch.  

Message 4 of 9
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Also, they will not be calling you. At some point you will receive a letter giving you 30 days to unfreeze your reports or the request will be disregared

Since you don't really want/need that increase, no big deal. 

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had one of these as well in the regular mall for $4500 (15,500 to 20,000) with the offer code and special telephone number. Boom, instant hard pull on TU. I had an 849 TU F8 and 850 TU F9 at the time. I received the letter “maximum amount of unsecured already issued.” No reference to report, score, FCRA, anything. I called in to ask why and they (basically) said the automated system must have picked up how strong my overall profile is. Underwriting said, your usage was not enough. I guess my internal score must have therefore not been high enough and the hard pull was done. I asked if there were any credit report issues or income questions. No, there were not. I do have another card with US Bank w/ CL of 15,000. Then the Elan BMW WEMC, only $6250 line, which I use more than any other card (PIF before month closing date). Did not help.
Message 6 of 9
summerterrace
Regular Contributor

Never assume it will be a soft pull for final approval.  Also, if you freeze your credit bureaus no one will give you a credit line increase, or open new accounts for you.  Maybe AmEx if you already have one of their cards, but most banks won't.

US Bank Altitude Reserve, Delta Gold Am Ex, PenFed Power Cash Rewards, PenFed Pathfinder, Navy Federal Flagship, Chase Freedom, IHG Rewards Club Premier, Marriott Bonvoy Premier
Message 7 of 9
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@summerterrace wrote:

Never assume it will be a soft pull for final approval.  Also, if you freeze your credit bureaus no one will give you a credit line increase, or open new accounts for you.  Maybe AmEx if you already have one of their cards, but most banks won't.

That's absolutely not true for a big chunk of lenders when it comes to CLIs. 

I've gotten them from Discover, Citi, US Bank, Amex (already mentioned) and quite a few others.  

There are also lenders other than Amex who will open new accounts based on ARs (done via SP). 

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

My advice to OP would be dont worry about it and put more spend and a few months before your next try. If you PIF before statement cut near 15-20% of limit USB appears in a generous CLI phase at the moment. Even if we did get slighted :/
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.