Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US bank altitude go further information

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

US bank altitude go further information

Hi Everyone,

How is Everyone?  I am new to my Fico Forums.  I currently have TD Bank Cash card and I want to apply for the US Bank Altitude go credit card because TD Bank Cash card is charging a Foreign Transaction Fee of 3%.  I had TD Bank Cash card since 2009 and back then they did charge the Foreign Tracation Fee but in 2016 I believe they didn't charge the Foreign Transaction Fee and starting on March 31, 2021, they start charging again.  I already have Discover Card (2008) and Capital One quicksilver (2010) and they don't charge a Foreign Transaction Fee at all.  I remember before Discover card did and it was 2% but in 2011 they change the policy of not charging a Foreign Trancations fee.  Before that, I had HSBC Master card (2007) now I don't use that card at all and it is closed and has 0 balance.   Before I apply I read in some forums that after you apply they want further information like proof that is you.  My credit score is 800+. My question is when you apply for the card shouldn't that have enough proof with all your income and all that?

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
blossom_rebuilding
Regular Contributor

Re: US bank altitude go further information

When I applied for the Altitude Go in spring, they asked for proof of identity and had me upload a copy of my driver's license. I figured that may have been because U.S. Bank does not have a geographic footprint where I am located (Maryland) and I had no prior relationship with the bank so they did extra due diligence, but who knows what the actual reason was.

Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@blossom_rebuilding wrote:

When I applied for the Altitude Go in spring, they asked for proof of identity and had me upload a copy of my driver's license. I figured that may have been because U.S. Bank does not have a geographic footprint where I am located (Maryland) and I had no prior relationship with the bank so they did extra due diligence, but who knows what the actual reason was.

Oh wow! thanks.  I am in NY.  I never heard of US Bank before until I need a new card and search for a new bank.  For the miles card, I don't want it because for instance Capital One if I want to redeem it will deduct 50% of my miles to convert to Cash  So that is why I need a cash card without annual fees and no foreign transaction fee.  Yes, they don't have it on the East Coast. Thanks for the info.  I want to apply during the holidays because then I have time for the extra stuff if the bank needs it.  I want to get the info beforehand so it does not be a mess when I apply.

Message 3 of 22
practical1
Regular Contributor

I don't know if any of this is useful -- but here are some observations about US Bank and their cards.

I live in NJ -- like NY, US Bank has no physical footprint here, so any banking needs which require a branch are nearly impossible.  Since I had opened my checking account  while previously living within their service area, I established and retained a banking relationship associated with a branch. 

This was very helpful as USB seems much more willing to extend credit products to customers who already bank with them and when the branch manager submits the application via their internal systems.  After moving to Texas (another state with no USB branches), an officer from my old branch in Chicago was happy to process applications for their credit cards and credit line -- which were approved same day.

None of this helps you.  However, I can say that once you have USB credit products, you'll likely be quite satisfied with them.  Customer service lines are generally answered quickly and professionally and issues (should you have any) resolved with alacity.   Interest rates are often quite fair, for a commercial bank and their mobile app and websites work well.

I was informed during a call last year that they do offer credit cards in all 50 states; you can apply online and possibly by phone.  My guess (as was mentioned above) is that as someone without a prior relationship with USB, they may "run you through hoops" during the application process.

So, if your credit is in decent shape (they tend to be a bit stricter with underwriting than CapOne), why wait?  The card itself (if like mine) is a fire-engine red and constructed of thin but solid metal, a colorful addition to any wallet.

Best of luck!

FYI:  One possibly useful data point:  Regardless of when your statement closing date actually falls, my experience is that USB reports to all the credit bureaus on the last business day of each calendar month.  So, if you do acqure one of their cards and are concerned about the appearance of excessive balances affecting your credit card utilization factor (for credit scoring), you can make online payments timed to minimize any ill effects.  Just something else to weigh into your decision.

Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,
Thank you this helps a lot. This is like Discover Card their headquarters are located in Delaware. There is no Discover Card in NY or NJ. Yes as with any bank if you have accounts with the same bank they do extended more money on their credit cards. Customer Service is #1 for me and if that outs the door forgot it then. I do customer service myself and I work in IT. If they run me through hoops I am prepared anyway. I wish there was more color like blue, green etc but only red that's fine. Re guarding about the balance it doesn't effect because when they post I immediately pay. For example I buy a $30 grocery and they post I pay immediately and I don't wait for the bill. So when the bills comes it is $0. I am not concern about my balance at all because I pay before the bill comes. Since you have USB do they do the forgiveness like one time if you miss the payment they forgive you or not. I rarely miss paying my bill because I always watch when it is posted but you never know it can happen I miss to pay the bill. Discover card has the forgiveness one time only. Do they do automatic credit limit increases when you have a good standing history with them. Discover card does that. The reason I am waiting is because during the holidays I am not working and I have time to resolve issues if the application has problems. That is why I am waiting around Thanksgiving or so to apply. I am not in a rush anyway.  When I do apply and there's an update I will post my results.  Thank you.

Message 5 of 22
TampaBAY86
Regular Contributor

I applied for the Altitude Go in April this year.  I live in FL, another state with no physical branches, and didn't have any prior relationship.  US Bank didn't require any additional information and I was approved instantly, so it is possible.

I will say, if you are trying to get your card at a specific time, apply at least a few weeks prior.  It took 2.5 weeks for my card to come in the mail after approval.  In fact, my first statement cut prior to receiving the card.  I have read several similar stories on here.  Also, it is very common for applications go to manual review with US Bank so keep that in mind as it may add to that time as well.

Message 6 of 22
practical1
Regular Contributor

One more thought....

Since you appear to be interested in travel and have an excellent FICO score, why not consider the Altitude Reserve, instead or in addition to this one.

The annual fee is $400 -- but you get back $325 of it in travel and/or dining credits, it provides the $100 rebate for TTP or Pre-Check, Priority Pass lounge access and other Visa Infinte benefits.  Also, an excellent sign-up points bonus is available, if you hit the spend target, whcih is worth $750.

To ensure success, though, open either  checking, savings or other depost account (can be done online) and then wait at least 5 business days before applying for this card.

Just a thought.  I happen to love this card -- and if you use it for shopping with your mobile phone, the points you can earn are worth 4.5% of purchases.

Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TampaBAY86 wrote:

I applied for the Altitude Go in April this year.  I live in FL, another state with no physical branches, and didn't have any prior relationship.  US Bank didn't require any additional information and I was approved instantly, so it is possible.

I will say, if you are trying to get your card at a specific time, apply at least a few weeks prior.  It took 2.5 weeks for my card to come in the mail after approval.  In fact, my first statement cut prior to receiving the card.  I have read several similar stories on here.  Also, it is very common for applications go to manual review with US Bank so keep that in mind as it may add to that time as well.

Hi Tampa Bay 86. Oh great you applied the Altitude Go this year. I see about FL.  Ok great they didn't need additioanl info.  Thank you about how long I will get the card.  I am not in a rush to get the card if I don't get that card I will use my Visa TD Bank it's just that I don't want the Foreign Tranaction Fee that is all.  Ok thanks for all the good info.

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@practical1 wrote:

One more thought....

Since you appear to be interested in travel and have an excellent FICO score, why not consider the Altitude Reserve, instead or in addition to this one.

The annual fee is $400 -- but you get back $325 of it in travel and/or dining credits, it provides the $100 rebate for TTP or Pre-Check, Priority Pass lounge access and other Visa Infinte benefits.  Also, an excellent sign-up points bonus is available, if you hit the spend target, whcih is worth $750.

To ensure success, though, open either  checking, savings or other depost account (can be done online) and then wait at least 5 business days before applying for this card.

Just a thought.  I happen to love this card -- and if you use it for shopping with your mobile phone, the points you can earn are worth 4.5% of purchases.

Thanks but the Altitude Reserve has a annual fee and too me it is not worth it.  I don't travel that much but I sometimes I order things from ebay and it in another country.  I will never hit $750.  Thanks for you help I apperciate a lot.  Thanks.

Message 9 of 22
KatSoDak
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@practical1 wrote:

One more thought....

Thanks but the Altitude Reserve has a annual fee and too me it is not worth it.  I don't travel that much but I sometimes I order things from ebay and it in another country.  I will never hit $750.  Thanks for you help I apperciate a lot.  Thanks.

Wow. I had no idea the FTF applied to eBay purchases. I guess I never considered that as a reason to have a no FTF fee card.  Instead I only considered the fee during foreign travel.  Thanks for mentioning this. 

FICO 8:

EQ FICO 9 - 770
EX FICO 9 - 758

Citi (2) | Discover | HSBC | BOA | NFCU (2) | WF (2) | Simmons Bank | FNBO (2) | PENFED | BBVA | US Bank | Lowes | Care Credit | Home Depot AU
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.