Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uber Visa Approval Odds

tag
SEAlifer
Established Contributor

Uber Visa Approval Odds

This is my first post so thanks for any advice you can provide

I've only very recently got into the credit card game but I have a decent income and I'm about to do a bunch of work travel. My credit history is pretty short and I don't have that many cards yet. I make payments weekly to keep utilization low but might carry a $2K balance while I'm on the 0% on the Discover until I'm reimbursed for the work travel.

Key2More Rewards Card - 2 years, 3 months, Authorized User - $12,500 limit, under 5% utilization
Cap One Plat - Opened Apr, 2019 - $1K limit, under 1% utilization
Discover It - Opened May, 2019 - $6K limit, under 5% utilization
Chase Freedom - Opened May, 2019- $4,600 limit, under 10% utilization

TU & EXP Score around 750, Equifax 690

I'm going to have one domestic and two international work trips in the next 2-3 months so I want a card that has 0% foreign transaction fee that will earn as much points as possible. I would like a CSR but I know my history is a bit short for that. I'm getting lots of offers in the mail for the Gold Amex but I'm not super excited about that one as you only get 2% back on Delta purchases.

So are my chances for the Uber Visa good, bad or should I settle for the Gold Amex?

AU

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
patoot10
Frequent Contributor

Re: Uber Visa Approval Odds

I honestly don't think your profile is ready for Uber just yet.

a) you have a very thin file

b) your accounts are very new

Barclays likes to see 1 year of age plus a quite report for the last 6 months (no inquires or new accounts), you lack both.

You can always spare a HP but I don't think it's worth it. I recommend you get Paypal Cashback card. no FTF and 2% on every single transaction.

Thanks,

Message 2 of 16
SEAlifer
Established Contributor

Thanks for the response. Yes, they have been sending me preapprovals for a while since I use PayPal regularly with a few friends and my partner. That's a good idea.

AU

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

All you really need is Chase to bump you over 5K on your existing card and swap it to a Signature version and it's a worry of the past.

I would go Uber (Barclay's) over PPMC (Sync) just to avoid the temptations of Sync and picking up a ton of them for the ease of higher CL's.

Uber will be looking at TU and if you're really a 750 FICO then it's quite possible even w/ lack of age and your ability to work them up in CL w/ a recon might be a possibility as well.

Message 4 of 16
SEAlifer
Established Contributor

@

Wanted to follow up and ask what would be the worries of my past if I was bumped over 5K and got a Visa signature. I see some benefits on the website explaining the benefits of Visa Signature but no FTF is unfortunately not one of them. I was just wondering if you had any insights about the benefits Signature provides.

AU

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclay's wants to see at least 2 years across all accounts before they will consider you. Stay in the garden.
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SEAlifer wrote:

@

Wanted to follow up and ask what would be the worries of my past if I was bumped over 5K and got a Visa signature. I see some benefits on the website explaining the benefits of Visa Signature but no FTF is unfortunately not one of them. I was just wondering if you had any insights about the benefits Signature provides.

Hmm... I could've sworn the VS on Freedom was a selling point when I swapped my CSP to a CF and the guy asked which card to pull $ from to make it $5K VS for some "perk".  

https://creditcards.chase.com/no-foreign-transaction-fee-credit-cards

I guess getting them to $5K and swapping to a CSP would be one route to get rid of the FTF.

Or for No AF https://creditcards.chase.com/travel-credit-cards/united-travelbank?iCELL=61HB (5K min) ((1K min for platinum))

https://creditcards.chase.com/travel-credit-cards/marriott-bold?iCELL=61HB (5K min) ((2k for platinum))

https://creditcards.chase.com/cash-back-credit-cards/amazon-rewards?iCELL=61HB ($500 min)  might be best option... doesn't everyone need at least 3% @ Amazon?  ((5% if prime member))

I would send them a SM and see what your options are for changing w/ the cards above in mind for the no FTF.  Or just flat out ask them if you can PC to a NO FTF card and see what they come back with. 

))Might be an issue under 12 mo's of age// need a new app to get one situation((

Message 7 of 16
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Barclay's wants to see at least 2 years across all accounts before they will consider you. Stay in the garden.

@Anonymous, the above statement is not entirely accurate.  Unless you are intimately familiar with their algorithms and overall UW process, then we really cannot cite absolutes.  With regard to the Uber CC, as long as the OP sustains their present line up, doesn't add new tradelines and/or unnecessary inquiries, they could potentially qualify within 12 months from their last approved tradeline, not 2 years.

Message 8 of 16
SFLSpotter9210
Valued Contributor

Cap One cards have a no FTF. As for Barclays their a very conservative bank. They also require HP for CLI too. I’ve had a Apple Barclays for 2 years that’s sitting in sock drawer due to no CLI. I’m not wasting a HP on that. I got the card before becoming a member here. Is your Cap One Card a starter account? Well to be honest I always call the Banks when I’m traveling to ensure all intel is accurate. Good luck with whatever you decide.
NFCU Flagship 32,500 | Penfed PowerCash 8,750 | PENFED GOLD 12,500 | PenFed PL 20,000 | NFCU AMEX Rewards 37,500 | NFCU GoRewards 7,000 | FNBO VISA SIGNATURE 9,400 | Capital One Quicksilver 6,300 | Lowe’s 34,500 | Wells Fargo Propel 19,700 | Barclay Apple1k | Citi Rewards+ 12,100 | Citi Double Cash 14,800 | Citi Simplicity 7,000 | PNC Core VISA 22,500 | USAA AMEX 10,000 | Discover 17,000 | BB&T Rewards 4,500 | BB&T Bright Card 4,500 | GS Apple 6,000 | Chevron 2,500 | Fico 8 Scores EQ=757 | EX=760 | TU=771scores and CL current as of 08/22/22 AAoA years 6 months | AoOA=18yrs
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, you’ve cited only TU and EQ - are you getting these scores from Credit Karma? If so, please go to www.creditchecktotal.com and pull your FICO scores for $1 so you know where you really stand. If you’re quoting known FICO scores, then ok, but often people make the mistake of thinking CK offers scores that are relevant to lenders’ decisions to extend credit, and this isn’t the case.

Edit - ugh, I need more sleep - mistook your EX for EQ. Carry on and don’t mind me Smiley Wink
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.