Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upromise Denial with "funny" reasons

tag
I-think-I-can
Valued Contributor

Upromise Denial with "funny" reasons

Hi everyone! I figured I would share my denial story...

Before I hit the garden, I applied for the Upromise card( I was hoping to save a little extra $ towards my son's college tuition).  I got the dreaded pending/review screen.  I called in to speak with an analyst and was questioned about only one negative thing from 2009 and my recent inquiries/new accounts.  I explained to the analyst that I have been rebuilding and was hoping to get the card now, so that all of my accounts would age well together.  Well, needless to say, that didn't work, lol...and though she did applaud me on my excellent management of my "re-builders: (i.e. Merrick/Credit One) unfortunately they could not offer me an "approval at this time".  Can't say I wasn't a little disappointed!

So I get the letter in the mail and my denial reasons were:

-History of severe delinquency (lost everything in 2009)

-High number of recent credit inquiries on your credit report

-Insufficient number of accounts

-High number of credit cards recently opened

They pulled TU and my score was 693

It's the last two that tickled me a bit...sooooo I have insufficient number of accounts but I also have too many? lol

In all fairness, I do understand why they denied me...I knew it was a longshot, but the somewhat conflicting denial reasons made me laugh.  Smiley Happy

Starting Scores 2/13/15: EQ 635 EX 674 TU 684 ////7/16/15 Scores: EQ 661 EX 669 TU 703 //// 2/15/16 Scores EQ 652 EX 647 TU 756 //// 3/24/16 Scores: EQ 661 EX 649 TU 773 //// EQ 670 EX 653 TU 768 (EQ And EX still tainted)
Goal Scores: 760 across the board
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Upromise Denial with "funny" reasons

Keep calling back.

Message 2 of 12
I-think-I-can
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Keep calling back.

Really?! Think I have a chance?

Starting Scores 2/13/15: EQ 635 EX 674 TU 684 ////7/16/15 Scores: EQ 661 EX 669 TU 703 //// 2/15/16 Scores EQ 652 EX 647 TU 756 //// 3/24/16 Scores: EQ 661 EX 649 TU 773 //// EQ 670 EX 653 TU 768 (EQ And EX still tainted)
Message 3 of 12
tonyjones
Valued Contributor

@I-think-I-can wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Keep calling back.

I wouldn't, Barclays know when you call to recon, so the next time you call the next credit analyst/underwriter already knows you called lol

Current Fico Scores: (December 2023)
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@I-think-I-can wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Keep calling back.

I got SM on my 4th try.

Message 5 of 12
I-think-I-can
Valued Contributor

I don't know if I have the "gumption" to call again, lol...but it sure is tempting!

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@I-think-I-can wrote:

I don't know if I have the "gumption" to call again, lol...but it sure is tempting!

Gumption has nothing to do with it. Look at your credit profile and find the strong points you can argue. Be ready to explain the weak points if brought up.

Don't volunteer anything that will not help.

Message 7 of 12
joedtx
Valued Contributor

Barclays really like some history with them unless your score is elevated and your file thick, so really they are just being a bit picky. You may want to consider one of their other cards like the Rewards Mastercard which is easy to get and then PC to the card that you really want or at a minimum pay good on the card for a year and apply you'll get in with ease.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your denial reasons kinda gave me a chuckle too.

My most recent denial letter said I was denied for not having experience with mortgages.  I applied for an entry level credit card.  Hahaha

Message 9 of 12
I-think-I-can
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@I-think-I-can wrote:

Gumption has nothing to do with it. Look at your credit profile and find the strong points you can argue. Be ready to explain the weak points if brought up.

Don't volunteer anything that will not help.

Good point Nixon...perhaps "confidence" would have been the better word! I think maybe closer to the end of this year I will be in a better position?  As the saying goes..." I can show them better than I can tell them"....so maybe if I handle my new accounts well,  the approval will be easier with them. Fingers crossed Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.