Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Us Bank Acct/CC app

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Us Bank Acct/CC app

So yesterday DH and I applied for a us bank gold checking acct and added the flex visa at the end of the checking acct app. We got the account but credit card app response was to wait it out. I figured that would happen after reading boards but I have some questions.

It was a joint application for the checking but only DH and DHs debit card show up when I created the online banking account. I got a separate email that my checking account was approved but same wait it out info on cc app. Does us bank not have a combined online banking profile?

This morning we got an alert that they pulled his Eq score (kill me now) which is the lowest of the 3 scores by FAR. We bought a house in December, we applied for HELOC with penfed on our other house to consolidate debt from working on that house but decided against using heloc against our house in case we need to sell it for less than we hope, ended up with about 3 more penfed pulls because we also tried personal loan with them which was a no go. We used a lending club loan to pay off Reno debt and that popped up yesterday on Eq. So along with reducing aaoa, he has entirely too many inquiries thank you penfed. I love when banks reassure you that rate shopping won’t hurt your score until it looks like you went on a massive credit app spree but really only bought A house :blah:

Anyway, us bank has not checked my credit that I can tell yet. Everything I read said US bank checks TU, which is many many points higher than dreaded Eq. Is Eq pull normal with opening a checking account and apping for card at the same time?

The automated number says they can’t find either of our information in the system. I know patience is key with US bank but I want to go close out the account if we don’t get the cc because I’m not paying $16 a month for a gold checking acct when most banks have free Checking.

He also went back to the site after logging out and cold apped for a different card. No credit pull yet for that unless they pulled once on Eq for both? If that’s the case I’m ready to kiss that opportunity goodbye. Eq is not nice to us lol.
10 REPLIES 10
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Us Bank Acct/CC app

I would give them a call regarding CC app if automated system has no info. 

US Bank does a SP for checking, so HP you got must have been for CC. It's possible you were denied, so call and see if that's the case. 

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

USB is a bit quirky when it comes to the process in which they use TU for a CC app.  It sounds like you used the right method of applying for checking and adding the CC at the end of the app to trigger using TU instead of EQ but, nothing is 100% when doing these things.

I apped for 2 CC's w/ them outright and the system never picked up the info automatically from the apps and ended up calling 800-947-1444 and speaking with someone in credit.  Found out it was an auto denial for inq's, asked for a manual review that ended up with 1K/ea and then called again to get another review to 25K/ea and they countered with 10Kea.  They're a bit slow when it comes to reviewing things but, if you keep on them it tends to work out.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I waited on the auto line for a real person to ask if we even did the application correctly because it never pulled credit for me as joint owner for the cc application. She said yes she can see my app and we did it correctly, but it was an auto denial for DH, which kept them from pulling my credit but she can't tell me why it was a denial (I figured that before I called). 

I told her that was a bummer that we were hoping to be able to use US Bank as our local bank in the area where we just moved to and that I didn't want to pay the $16.95 fee to have gold checking with no CC so I'd have to go cancel my account. I was very nice, just saying it was a bummer. Before I could finish, she said she would sent it back to underwriting with a note on it. I told her I was hoping they wouldn't have pulled Eq solely because Penfed is HP happy and dinged Eq at least 10 times in the last year while we were buying a home and considering the HELOC on our other home. She said she would notate that and send it back through. We shall see how that goes! I don't know if his Eq score is strong enough to get our foot in the door.

Just a US Bank waiting game at this point Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 11
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Sorry to hear the downside to all that effort.

I been in this credit thing a very long time and i absolutely detest Equifax on this end. I never seen a decent approval SL when compared to the other 2 Bureau's outright. I recently just went through an app tour and sure enough got some great approvals through TU & EX but every one of the EQ pulls yielded either a denial or dirt low SL which i summarily called and closed those cards the same day. EQ is just horrible IMHO and rarely does anyone any good as far as i'm concerned. That's been my personal experience anyway.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

great approvals through TU & EX but every one of the EQ pulls yielded either a denial or dirt low SL 

I never really thought about CL's based on the CR the lender decides to use.  Maybe it's more of a lender issue than a CRA issue?  It also depends on where you're located as certain CRAs tend to be pulled more on geography than anything else.  I know when I was in the midwest at one point the primary pull was TU and the SE has been either EQ/EX.  Then there's the primary pullers that only pull a particular CRA unless something like a locked report is an issue like Baarclays 99% of the tmie pulls TU.  Chase tends to pull 2 CRA's, Cap1 pulls all 3, BOA pulls EX for approvals and TU for CLI's.  

Chase pulled EX/EQ for my CSP and nailed a 25K CL 

Citi pulled the same and came out with a 16K CL

USB apped 2 cards they pulled EQ B05 mortgage for their products and denied for inq's, requested manual review for an approval of 1K/ea and then again MR for 10K/ea ultimately

BBT pulled EQ on 2 apps and resulted in 2 apprvals for 10.5K/ea

While these approvals aren't quite where I think they should be they weren't horrible by any means eaither considering they were poached for the SUB and then thrown into a drawer for the most part.

Message 6 of 11
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

I think as a rule most CU's focus or at least tend to lean closer to EQ for bureau reports with products, but not all.

Same with certain Prime Lenders but not as much.

Which should bring attention to any customer to certainly research Lenders carefully as a group-collectively and make choices that achieve a balance along ALL the CRA's without crowding up a single CRA which almost certainly will draw more FICO penalty points against scores the more those add up.

I just mention EQ almost as a superstition but even more based on my results when doing a comparison. I seen members draw in excellent approvals from EQ alone so it's simply different for different folks and it does one well to measure where a potential lender will likely go when applying or seeking a CLI which takes a HP.

Wish i could offer some experience on PenFed but i was approved by them some year or so ago at the top of a profile improvement as they didn't suit or even come close to meeting NFCU and Alliant CU for me so i dismissed them and moved on per my own habits.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

Wish i could offer some experience on PenFed but i was approved by them some year or so ago at the top of a profile improvement as they didn't suit or even come close to meeting NFCU and Alliant CU for me so i dismissed them and moved on per my own habits.

Honestly, if Penfed hadn't been there for us a couple of years ago when we needed to buy new (new to us not new-new) vehicles, I would kick them to the curb. I feel like they have buckled down with their lending and have not been able to beat interest rates like they did before. They are turning into USAA Smiley LOL

On another note - I just got an alert that my Equifax was pulled by US Bank. The rep I talked to earlier said if they weren't going to approve DH, they wouldn't pull my credit. So maybe that is good news? Still nothing in the automated system. I might give them a call on the way home from work today to see if they have anymore info for me. I am hoping that if UW decided to give DH a chance, they won't decline his app after pulling mine. I only have one negative account from 2016 that has a 0 balance, but most of the cards we used while reno-ing our other home are on my credit so my util is poop (around 39%). The consolidation loan we just took out is paying off most of it, but not all of it has reported yet. We should have been a bit more patient Smiley Embarassed

Message 8 of 11
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

Honestly, if Penfed hadn't been there for us a couple of years ago when we needed to buy new (new to us not new-new) vehicles, I would kick them to the curb. I feel like they have buckled down with their lending and have not been able to beat interest rates like they did before. They are turning into USAA Smiley LOL

On another note - I just got an alert that my Equifax was pulled by US Bank. The rep I talked to earlier said if they weren't going to approve DH, they wouldn't pull my credit. So maybe that is good news? Still nothing in the automated system. I might give them a call on the way home from work today to see if they have anymore info for me. I am hoping that if UW decided to give DH a chance, they won't decline his app after pulling mine. I only have one negative account from 2016 that has a 0 balance, but most of the cards we used while reno-ing our other home are on my credit so my util is poop (around 39%). The consolidation loan we just took out is paying off most of it, but not all of it has reported yet. We should have been a bit more patient Smiley Embarassed

It's always a good thing when any lender be it CU or other comes through for you. Tightening up comes and goes and we sometimes just get caught in those changes, and usually when least expected.

If there is any consolation to come from this experience is that it's a lesson to learn while you and DH expand your profiles going forward.

We all look for FAIR and it eventually comes our way but takes time and these sort of bumps along the way. You have an excellent attitude having run into this one and dealing with it the only way there is.

On a different note best of luck that US Bank brings something through in spite of everything else that resulted in throwing things a little off balance.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Us Bank Acct/CC app *Update*

Ok so just a little bit of an update for anyone interested (I am always searching these boards for topics that relate to my own questions so hopefully this will help someone else someday!)...

Recap: Originally DH and I applied for a US Bank Gold checking and planned to also apply for a credit card at the same time (this was all done online). The checking account was easy peasy and the card that popped up for us was the Flex Perks with the option to choose Visa or Amex (hoping I'm right on the details here from what I remember). We chose the Visa. We got an email saying it would take more time to come to a decision. I called in the next day and the representative said it had been declined when they pulled DH's credit so they never pulled mine (he was first on the account app). I told her we were hoping to use US Bank as our local bank so I'd probably close the account since there were other places with free checking accounts in the area - I was nice - she was nice - she sent in a reconsideration for me based on that and the fact that I told her DH had a lot of Inq on Eq from buying a home and apping for HELOC through penfed. DH also applied (without being logged into online banking) for the Plat Visa for balance transfer options and that was also an Eq HP. For some reason Eq is the go-to where we live despite most people saying TU. Boo. 

Forward to now... I did finally get a HP on my Eq on the 24th. I logged into our US Bank account yesterday and saw a credit card account with a SL of $1200. Looks like it is the Flex Perks Visa. The online banking system lists DH first so IDK if they gave us both a card, or just DH because I only see one card. With the holiday on Monday we haven't gotten anything in the mail yet. We are also super rural and mail takes a couple of extra days sometimes. I don't know if I should call in and recon the SL, or just wait to see if it will build on its own. Neither of us need another Eq HP. Both of our Eq scores are sad compared to Ex and TU so I'm just happy to see some progress and sortof be "in" with US Bank.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.