cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Us bank has funny rules about ask for an increase in credit line on card that aprove.

tag
firefox100
Valued Contributor

Us bank has funny rules about ask for an increase in credit line on card that aprove.

On Friday night I called US bank to apply for visa cash plus account, was parove for Cl of 14500. This morning I called underwriting @ 1800 947 1444 to see if i could have credit limit increase 1,500 to even 15,00. I was told only way that could be done if they another hard pull on my credit report. I ask why it could be foft pull she said it is gov regulations that makes no sence because last year when I open Barcley's uber visa card and first got credit line of 11K I caled them next day on Sunday and they increase my credit line to 12K with hard pull and no problems. I told no thanks and called back to speak to another person this time she said you have fico score of 806 and you have great credit report, you would have no problem getting increase of 500 you want to make an even 15K but I need to pull your report again, ask her your looking my credit report from Friday night, why do you need to do another hard pull on credit report. That is regulations by feds. I told no thanks I am not going to hit just to get another 500 more, is ther another way around this with Us bank do increases with soft pulls only.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Us bank has funny rules about ask for an increase in credit line on card that aprove.

A lot of banks will not allow you to use the same HP that was used to apply for the card to conduct further credit business such as a CLI. If you want the increase then take the HP otherwise wait it out while perhaps getting lucky getting an auto CLI or use their online website to see if you can get one that way with a SP. Here's more info regarding increases with USB.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/u-s-bank-no-longer-hard-pull-credit-limit-increases/

https://www.usbank.com/splash/credit-cards/credit-line-increase.html

Message 2 of 8
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Us bank has funny rules about ask for an increase in credit line on card that aprove.

You could always ask them to decrease it by $500, then you'd have nice even $14000 and no HP would be needed. 

Message 3 of 8
UH_HUH
Valued Contributor

They do indeed have funny rules for CLI's.

I called and asked for one,rep was very nice, said 

he would send off my request and I would

hear back from them soon. Well soon was about a week

later  and came in the

form of a letter.

They did not even hard pull me as my account had 

been dormant to long in their opinion.

Their money their rules. YEMV

Message 4 of 8
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Wait the 6-9 months to see if they auto increase it. Honestly, $500 isnt worth the hassle for another hp. You tried, you asked, the best you can do, they said not without hp. I get it, why need 2 reports in a day or 2, lol @Anonymous and Pendread!, but if they wanted to give you 15k, they would have done so on the first pull. Just some perspectiveSmiley Wink
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

What I don't get if why you're asking for a CLI of $500 instead of bumping it to 25K or more?

Aim higher if you're tempting the credit gods for a HP.  Don't shoot yourself in the foot for $500.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed. lol

It's definitely unnerving at times though, my Discover has been stuck at an odd number ever since one screwy CLI. If I can't get it to even out by the end of this year, I'll just call and get a CLD for that amount.

Message 7 of 8
firefox100
Valued Contributor

eeRe: Us bank has funny rules about ask for an increase in credit line on card that aprove.

Discover is easy to work with, last week on Friday I called Discover to ask for line increase at that time credit line was 27K. Thay increase line by five hundred to 27.5K. I ask the CSR to put me through to credit operations after couple mins on phone with nice person from credit operations my credit line was increase by another five hundred to 28K on my discover card. My fico scores are over 800. Given them try only soft pull, you may have better out by calling Discover then doing it on line. good luck, let use know what if you should go head and call them.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.