Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Venture after Chase Sapphire Reserve? 2/24

tag
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

Re: Venture after Chase Sapphire Reserve? 2/24

@Anonymous wrote:
Haha yea ChargedUp I need to get on that. I've read that Chase will ask on the application how much you make or plan to make with your business? Scares me a bit.

Also, on the tax side of things, how to claim and what to claim is a bit out of my realm. Something I need to investigate further.

As long as you're not claiming to be Sam Walton or Jeff Bezos, I don't think they're going to dig much deeper than your own personal credit history. As far as taxes, talk to a CPA or Tax professional in your area for proper guidance. In general though, if you're going to file taxes for a home business, you get some nice deductions. If you're just selling a couple things here and there on eBay or Craigslist though, i don't think the IRS really comes into play.

Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well put. Thanks ChargedUp!
Message 12 of 18
NRB525
Super Contributor

I have a wide range of other travel cards, Chase, AMEX, US Bank.

Had a Venture for a couple years, closed it earlier this year, as part of setting up to apply again.

I view the 75,000 point SUB as a way to efficiently get $750 in travel benefit for one HP. Yeah, it's a $5,000 spend, but it's only one new account in relation to all the "limit your new account additions" 5/24 and such going around. So it is a good payback for the 3HP, one new account.

Maybe some folks missed the news, but Venture now transfers to some of the same airline partners as UR and MR points, and even without that the no-hassle Travel Eraser option is extremely easy to use with hotel costs. So Venture, in my mind, is a viable addition to the other points systems, which often aim toward airline partners.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

Had a Venture for a couple years, closed it earlier this year, as part of setting up to apply again.

I view the 75,000 point SUB as a way to efficiently get $750 in travel benefit for one HP. Yeah, it's a $5,000 spend, but it's only one new account in relation to all the "limit your new account additions" 5/24 and such going around. So it is a good payback for the 3HP, one new account.

Maybe some folks missed the news, but Venture now transfers to some of the same airline partners as UR and MR points, and even without that the no-hassle Travel Eraser option is extremely easy to use with hotel costs. So Venture, in my mind, is a viable addition to the other points systems, which often aim toward airline partners.

I use Airbnb often and the no-hassle Travel Eraser will come in handy if we decide to allocate our points for stay. The new partners were also very appealing. I decided to pull the trigger and got the dreaded 7-10 message. I have 800 scores accross the board with only 1 inquiry. I'm really hoping it's for verfication purposes, but I have read that the Venture card has been recently denying people with stellar credit. Fingers Crossed!

And thank you for the input! It helps me justify that I've made a decent decision.

Message 14 of 18
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

While I agree on diversifying travel cards, what is Ventures' transfer rate compared to Ink's bonus of 80K UR's for the same spend? Ink would likely be one HP compared with Cap One's 3 HP's.

Message 15 of 18
NRB525
Super Contributor

@ChargedUp wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

While I agree on diversifying travel cards, what is Ventures' transfer rate compared to Ink's bonus of 80K UR's for the same spend? Ink would likely be one HP compared with Cap One's 3 HP's.

INK cards require someone to have a business. Outside my scope of availability.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ChargedUp wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

I don't think there is any denying the Ink Preferred was my next best move. However, I just didn't feel comfortable applying for a business card yet. It's my top priorty going into my next app. I felt the current bonus sign up for the Venture outweighted getting the Freedom or any Amex card atm. I have yet to get any Amex cards. Hoping perhaps I can hold out and get targeted for the 100k on the Plat, then decide what to do with the CSR moving forward.

Message 17 of 18
UncleB
Credit Mentor

This thread is locked and closed to new messages. 

The conversation is continued here:  https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Too-Soon-Venture-Capital-One-Application/t...

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.