Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verizon VISA: 7-10 Day Notice from Pre-Qualification Check

tag
Absolution16
Frequent Contributor

Verizon VISA: 7-10 Day Notice from Pre-Qualification Check

Most folks would get the dreaded 7-10 day notice from actually applying for a card, but mine is due to come after just checking to see if I pre-qualify.

I placed a 1-year fraud alert with Experian last June.  Upon checking with Equifax, they told me they somehow did NOT have that alert on my file, strange as that sounds.  I was able to check and remove the fraud alert online with TransUnion, while Experian's link to submit whatever documentation they want from me took me to a page where it insisted I MAIL them the documents.  So fraud alert active only with Experian.

I also had security freeze on all 3 of my reports, but I was able to unfreeze them.

I am currently out of the country in Asia, soon to return.  I was making changes to my Verizon account, including setting up Auto Pay, and thought the Verizon VISA might come in handy.  I had to use VPN to access the Pre-Qualification Check webpage and to proceed.

My FICO8 scores are 775 EX, 760 EQ, and 778 TU.  No inquiries for the last 18 months, 7 years AAoA, 20% utilization, and 1 ongoing vehicle loan scheduled to be paid off at the end of this year.

When I called Synchrony, they just told me to wait for the mail for the reason for "denial."  It wasn't even an actual application; it was only a check for PRE-qualification.

I am glad I did not just straight up do the actual application.  If I get a 7-10 day notice for a PRE-qualification check, I am surely going to get the same result, in addition to an actual HP inquiry placed on my reports.

What may be the reason(s) behind this?  The fraud alert that I couldn't remove from Experian?  The freeze should have been lifted as I got confirmation emails from the bureaus.  Or maybe because I had to use a VPN connection?  Which bureaus does Synchrony check for this card?

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Lurker22
Frequent Contributor

Re: Verizon VISA: 7-10 Day Notice from Pre-Qualification Check

I pre qualified with them 32 days ago (only a few days after my 13 was discharged) and was shocked to see I was "pre approved" so I applied, they immediately hit TU, was instantly approved (not the best limit but hey it was only a few days after discharge so I'll take the $4k limit) - they immediately added the new account to all 3 CB's with a 0 balance

Message 2 of 17
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Out of country and VPN and big red flags for most credit card issuers.  Likely fraud prevention

Message 3 of 17
Absolution16
Frequent Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:
Out of country and VPN and big red flags for most credit card issuers. Likely fraud prevention
Ah... I suspected it as much. I have heard that people often get an email ahead of the snail mail notice as well, so I suppose all I can do is to wait.
Message 4 of 17
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@Lurker22 wrote:

I pre qualified with them 32 days ago (only a few days after my 13 was discharged) and was shocked to see I was "pre approved" so I applied, they immediately hit TU, was instantly approved (not the best limit but hey it was only a few days after discharge so I'll take the $4k limit) - they immediately added the new account to all 3 CB's with a 0 balance

@Lurker22 

Yeah I got mine with a $4k limit almost 3 years ago while still making Ch 13 payments and every CLI request since discharge a year ago has been an instant denial.

Guess I gotta wait till my reports are clean later this year.  Smiley LOL

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 5 of 17
Absolution16
Frequent Contributor

@TRC_WA wrote:

@Lurker22 wrote:

@Lurker22 

Yeah I got mine with a $4k limit almost 3 years ago while still making Ch 13 payments and every CLI request since discharge a year ago has been an instant denial.

At least you got approved!  Good for you!

I just found it strange that a check for PRE-qualification offers can also be "denied."  Normally, wouldn't it be a simple "We have no offers available for you at this time" response?  Now I am suspecting they are taking precaution to verify me, considering VPN and my physical location at this time.

Message 6 of 17
Lurker22
Frequent Contributor

@TRC_WA wrote:

@Lurker22 wrote:

@Lurker22 

Good to know, I won't even try for a CLI until I'm clear next year 

Message 7 of 17
bigseegar
Established Contributor

@Absolution16 wrote:

@TRC_WA wrote:

@Lurker22 wrote:

@Lurker22 

At least you got approved!  Good for you!

I just found it strange that a check for PRE-qualification offers can also be "denied."  Normally, wouldn't it be a simple "We have no offers available for you at this time" response?  Now I am suspecting they are taking precaution to verify me, considering VPN and my physical location at this time.

Actually it happens a lot. Remember there is a big difference in "Pre-Qualification" and "Pre-Approved" as well.

Message 8 of 17
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Out of country and VPN and big red flags for most credit card issuers.  Likely fraud prevention

^This. I got the same type message when my VPN was on when I applied for mine. I ended up calling in and asking if they needed anything else to process my application. They just wanted to verify my identity. The letter that eventually came in the mail said the same thing. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 9 of 17
hackersmovie
New Contributor

@Absolution16 wrote:

Most folks would get the dreaded 7-10 day notice from actually applying for a card, but mine is due to come after just checking to see if I pre-qualify.

I placed a 1-year fraud alert with Experian last June.  Upon checking with Equifax, they told me they somehow did NOT have that alert on my file, strange as that sounds.  I was able to check and remove the fraud alert online with TransUnion, while Experian's link to submit whatever documentation they want from me took me to a page where it insisted I MAIL them the documents.  So fraud alert active only with Experian.

I also had security freeze on all 3 of my reports, but I was able to unfreeze them.

I am currently out of the country in Asia, soon to return.  I was making changes to my Verizon account, including setting up Auto Pay, and thought the Verizon VISA might come in handy.  I had to use VPN to access the Pre-Qualification Check webpage and to proceed.

My FICO8 scores are 775 EX, 760 EQ, and 778 TU.  No inquiries for the last 18 months, 7 years AAoA, 20% utilization, and 1 ongoing vehicle loan scheduled to be paid off at the end of this year.

When I called Synchrony, they just told me to wait for the mail for the reason for "denial."  It wasn't even an actual application; it was only a check for PRE-qualification.

I am glad I did not just straight up do the actual application.  If I get a 7-10 day notice for a PRE-qualification check, I am surely going to get the same result, in addition to an actual HP inquiry placed on my reports.

What may be the reason(s) behind this?  The fraud alert that I couldn't remove from Experian?  The freeze should have been lifted as I got confirmation emails from the bureaus.  Or maybe because I had to use a VPN connection?  Which bureaus does Synchrony check for this card?

I've recently seen a similar "denial" from Synch. When I called it turns out I wasn't denied but, rather hit a "identity verification" issue. I did their goofy verification process: video of head shake and took a picture of my license and BOOM, approved!

YMMV.

Personal Cards:

Business Cards:

FICO 8: Equifax - 686 / Transunion - 727 / Experian - 678
FICO 9: Equifax - 659 / Transunion - 776 / Experian - 673
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.