cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visa Signature recommendations? Or good bonus offers!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Visa Signature recommendations? Or good bonus offers!

Hi! Very 1st time posting to the board! Looking to get my first visa signature card as I plan to travel overseas (non business purposes) starting next month. Only CC Inq. I can think of in the last 12 months is for a Chase card (Jan 18'), Delta Gold Skymiles (Feb 18') and Discover IT (Mar 18'). Approved for the latter two and Discover has even raised my limit in such a short time without me requesting it.

The app for the chase card is what caused them to look further into my current CC with them and they closed my highest limit card! Granted I had a high balance on the card. I was only about 3 months into paying interest on the card and they closed my $4500 card and the rep said I was doing good but just not paying the balance down fast enough for them, despite the fact I was paying them $80 in interest a month.

Even though in my opinion I was in good standing, this may impact a further relationship with chase right now. I have banking relationships strongly with Wells Fargo for 3+ years and with Chase (just a small checking account) for 5+ years. Are there any Visa Sig cards you recommend with my credit profile? Or even some great offers on the market? BTW: I'm not looking to spend $4K+ in 3 mos to get a bonus, income is around 40K at the moment.

Really interested in Southwest or Amazon (I know its with Chase Smiley Sad ) or possibly Barclays Aviator 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Visa Signature recommendations? Or good bonus offers!

Why Visa Signature? Are there specific travel or other benefits you're looking for in having a VS? (varies by institution subscribed to the VS benefit guide).

There's also good ole plain Jane Visa or MC which work overseas as well including World or World Elite.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:
Why Visa Signature? Are there specific travel or other benefits you're looking for in having a VS? (varies by institution subscribed to the VS benefit guide).

There's also good ole plain Jane Visa or MC which work overseas as well including World or World Elite.

Things like travel insurance, no preset spending limit, lost luggage reimbursement, etc

Message 3 of 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Just keep in mind that not all VS CCs are created equal, and while the majority do provide an array of benefits aside from what the lender provides, each would have some exclusions.

That also goes for the flexible spending piece since some VS CCs don't have the flexibility that allow them to go over the assigned CL and/or would require prior authorization depending on the charges.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

any recommendations? Thinking of app for barclays but dont want to have tiny SL

Message 5 of 7
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

I think you would be better off looking at which cards fit your spend rather then if it’s a Visa Signature. Most credit cards now a days are visa signature anyway.

Not many cash back cards offer NO FTF so if you wanted a cash back card. It’s going to be with PayPal, capital one and discover.

I would start looking at what cards fit the requirements you have, then try that creditors prequalified site.

Amex PRG
US bank Flexperks
Citi
Chase

Those four creditors are where I would start at.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 6 of 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

You'll get different reviews or opinions about Barclays. Some folks will hiss and curse them while others will sing praises.

I've had no complaints with Barclays and have been with them for over 15+ years, 4 CCs with them currently. Bear in mind they tend to be a little bit more on the risk-averse side of things if something out of the ordinary triggers an AA. Despite the fact that I've had a lot of new accounts during several years and several inquiries, especially TU, I've still gotten approvals - key thing with Barclays is strategy.

I'd recommend the Uber Visa (IMO) if that CC fits your rewards lifestyle or spend patterns. The Aviator CC is also a great CC but it is a WEMC version.

The only thing that I see on the surface is the SL not being approved in the VS range since a variety of the current CLs in your signature appear to be < $5K, unless I missed something.

Perhaps other folks can chime in with other suggestions. BoA, PenFed, NFCU, US Bank, Capital One, etc. have decent CCs with VS benefits and no FTFs. I'll leave Chase out of the picture given your recent experience with them, but they tend to be pretty good on the VS side.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.