Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WF Propel - Declined pretty much

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

WF Propel - Declined pretty much

EDIT: Mods merged some threads. See my last post 

Decided to try my luck and go for the WF Propel.

Seems it's gone to pending so we'll see if i get an approval or not.

Guess I can call in tomorrow to see if there is anything new. 

So over the past while been thinking about trying to get a 3rd card under my belt that i'll use but with COVID been putting it off.

With that said I've been looking at both these cards more carefully and actually thinking the SaverOne may be a better for me overall in the long term. I don't really travel much and don't plan to anytime soon. Even pre-covid I didn't. 

The current 5% cashback for the quarter is useless for me on the flex. It appears after the first year the 5% grocrey reward perk goes away and then it's just the default 1% while the SavorOne has 2% unlimited.

Both have the same 3% perk for dining out. The 3% on drugstore purchases really isn't that special for me since i wont use it that often. Most of that type stuff I just got to target for and use the REDcard discount. I know it doesn't actually apply to prescriptions or over the counter stuff but you know what I mean Smiley Happy 

I guess at the end of the day the main perks for me of both cards are grocery and dining out. With that said the Cap1 triple pull is harsh tho I figure approval there will be easier then chase. I did one apply for the card a year ago and was denied but my profile was new at the time less then a year. 

Thoughts?

Message 1 of 62
61 REPLIES 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Freedom Flex vs CapOne SavorOne Rewards

You are doing a good job of considering the facts that apply to your needs. I missed that the Chase Flex groceries goes away after a year.

Best of luck as you acquire a card that best suits your spend pattern!

Message 2 of 62
MacCreed
Valued Member

Chase ftw!  C1 is a weirdo bank. Or WF Propel to go with your CW.  

Message 3 of 62
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So over the past while been thinking about trying to get a 3rd card under my belt that i'll use but with COVID been putting it off.

With that said I've been looking at both these cards more carefully and actually thinking the SaverOne may be a better for me overall in the long term. I don't really travel much and don't plan to anytime soon. Even pre-covid I didn't. 

The current 5% cashback for the quarter is useless for me on the flex. It appears after the first year the 5% grocrey reward perk goes away and then it's just the default 1% while the SavorOne has 2% unlimited.

Both have the same 3% perk for dining out. The 3% on drugstore purchases really isn't that special for me since i wont use it that often. Most of that type stuff I just got to target for and use the REDcard discount. I know it doesn't actually apply to prescriptions or over the counter stuff but you know what I mean Smiley Happy 

I guess at the end of the day the main perks for me of both cards are grocery and dining out. With that said the Cap1 triple pull is harsh tho I figure approval there will be easier then chase. I did one apply for the card a year ago and was denied but my profile was new at the time less then a year. 

Thoughts?

Imho the best card for you might just be a flat 2% cashback card. For everyday spend , especially if one doesnt have great income or low spend, it can be the most uncomplicated card out there. Plenty of good options too. 

Message 4 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

You don't use cff for 1points spending, main earner for cff will be 5% categories and bonus categories. From past experience, cff will have at least 1 quarter for grocery, 1 quarter for dining, 1 quarter for paypal. These are all good categories.

Thing about drug stores, and grocery stores, is the potential of buying gift cards of various vendors.

I find all cap1's offerings underwhelming, if you are looking at savorone, may as well look at USB altitude go instead.

In the end, you will have to do your own math, we don't really know how much you spend in each categories.

Message 5 of 62
Hoben02
Frequent Contributor

Sounds like you want cash back rewards if you can get status with bofa I suggest looking at their line of cards like the bofa premium and bofa cash rewards

Chase (CSP,CF,CFU,southwest premier)
Barclay(jetblue, arrival)
Bofa(US pride, premium, travel, cash, Suzy komen)
Citi(Premier, Double cash, Costco)
Fnbo(Mlife)
Amex(everyday, cash, Hilton)
Blockfi
Caesars rewards
Sofi
Gemini
Cap One Savor One
Message 6 of 62
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

If groceries and dining are the two main categories you want to cover, Navy's More Rewards is 3x on both.

Message 7 of 62
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

Imho the best card for you might just be a flat 2% cashback card. For everyday spend , especially if one doesnt have great income or low spend, it can be the most uncomplicated card out there. Plenty of good options too. 

I agree, and I think for most people, at least those into cashback, should get a flat 2% card of some type as early on as possible (assuming 3% flat rates aren't easily available).  It provides a reasonable rate of reward and gets rid of a lot of noise when comparing certain cards, which, in addition to their main attraction, have 2% categories (as a random example, SavorOne groceries.   And lots of other, like Chase Amazon Prime).   With a flat 2%, you can ignore all those and concentrate on the key rewards of other cards.

Once you have one, after a while you can revisit your question for dining.   But now the question will be whether it is worth getting one of those cards for an extra 1% on whatever your spend is.

Message 8 of 62
ccquest
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You don't use cff for 1points spending, main earner for cff will be 5% categories and bonus categories. From past experience, cff will have at least 1 quarter for grocery, 1 quarter for dining, 1 quarter for paypal. These are all good categories.

Thing about drug stores, and grocery stores, is the potential of buying gift cards of various vendors.

I find all cap1's offerings underwhelming, if you are looking at savorone, may as well look at USB altitude go instead.

In the end, you will have to do your own math, we don't really know how much you spend in each categories.

Seconding this. 4% for food/dining, 2% for grocery and gas. Plus $50 higher SUB. Completely beats the SavorOne if you ask me (that's why I went for it). Does neglect the "entertainment" part though.

Then you got cherries on top like the $15 streaming credit and that it's just a single pull unlike CapOne which does a triple and Chase which is usually a double.

as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 9 of 62
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

I agree, and I think for most people, at least those into cashback, should get a flat 2% card of some type as early on as possible (assuming 3% flat rates aren't easily available).  It provides a reasonable rate of reward and gets rid of a lot of noise when comparing certain cards, which, in addition to their main attraction, have 2% categories (as a random example, SavorOne groceries.   And lots of other, like Chase Amazon Prime).   With a flat 2%, you can ignore all those and concentrate on the key rewards of other cards.

Once you have one, after a while you can revisit your question for dining.   But now the question will be whether it is worth getting one of those cards for an extra 1% on whatever your spend is.

OP already has the WF Cash Wise which is 1.5% on everything already. I guess it just depends on if it's worth burning a card slot on a 2% card with a 0.5% gain. That's some math the OP is going to have to figure out

To be honest I think between the CW and Redcard OP has a lot covered that will allow him to be more selective. CW for general spend and Redcard on buying gift cards from restaurants where he frequents to get the 5% cashback to go along with any other shopping while there. Why I think taking the CFF is the better of those two choices. The 5% rotating categories can be beneficial even if he only takes advantage of one quarter. Get 3% dining on those restaurants where Target doesn't sell their giftcards to boot

Message 10 of 62
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.