Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Waited so long for NFCU and…

tag
Thermionic_E
Regular Contributor

Waited so long for NFCU and…

I've been trying to get an nfcu membership for years and finally did and got the nice surprise that my internal score is 200/450 Smiley Sad 

checked fico 9 and it is TransUnion 780s... and inquiries are 6, navy fed being one, two in April, two in March, one December, and one in May. 
I have 10 percent utilization across my revolving accounts of 60k.

i just can't believe I'm that low... I don't even know if I should recon.

ps. I know they are about relationships. What would you recommend I do? How much should I deposit? 

BALANCE STATUS OF NAVY FEDERAL ACCOUNTS

NUMBER OF INQUIRIES

INSUFFICIENT VARIETY OF SECURED LOAN ACCOUNTS?!? I have a Sheffield trailer loan and a ram truck loan I've paid from 90k to 20k since November 2019...

LENGTH OF NAVY FEDERAL MEMBERSHIP

Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Waited so long for NFCU and…

So applied for a CC and this is you adervse action letter aka denial?  Something doesn't seem right with them denying you based on FICO, etc.. sre internal score plays a role, but very strange.  Granted I havent applied for anything with NFCU in ages, but strange.   Be curious with others that follow nfcu as this just seems strange to me.

What is your AAoA (average age of account)

income decent?   Asssume so due to 80k car/truck loan.  although never really been about income

dti ok? < 35ish%?

Message 2 of 7
hwwilliams
Valued Member

I've only just started a relationship with NFCU about a month ago but based on what you've listed I'm not sure why you would've been denied or why your internal score is only 200.

I opened a checking and savings account with them using $250 but I opened a NFCU Platinum during the same call as the initial account openings and was approved barely scrapping by with a $500 limit. My account inquiries at the time were 4/6, 8/12, 8/24 and my average score was below your 780 as well. After my card was approved I received some documents in the mail that showed my internal score was 266.

Perhaps someone else can chime in that has more experience but I consistently hear that NFCU loves relationship so maybe setting up a direct deposit of a small amount to their checking account or opening a CD with them and waiting a month or two until you try again might get better results.

Personal Cards

Business Cards

Message 3 of 7
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@Thermionic_E wrote:

ps. I know they are about relationships. What would you recommend I do? How much should I deposit? 

Yes they are LOL... I learned the hard way a month ago.  Denied for the same reasons... direct deposit status... etc... etc...  so now I have ALL my DD's going in... and opened up a secured CC for $750 (my first secured card ever LOL... if it was anyone but NFCU they'd get the middle finger like the other secured offers do)

NFCU pulled my TU on the unsecured credit card app and I actually discovered an error on my report that I am disputing.  I am expecting a score boost when it's resolved but it probably wouldn't have mattered in this case anyway.  I'm in the garden till 2023.  I'm expecting my secured card to graduate then and at some point NFCU should open the floodgates.

As someone else told me... it's a game... you just have to play it... so that's what I'm doing.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 4 of 7
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

@Thermionic_E wrote:

I've been trying to get an nfcu membership for years and finally did and got the nice surprise that my internal score is 200/450 Smiley Sad 

checked fico 9 and it is TransUnion 780s... and inquiries are 6, navy fed being one, two in April, two in March, one December, and one in May. 
I have 10 percent utilization across my revolving accounts of 60k.

i just can't believe I'm that low... I don't even know if I should recon.

BALANCE STATUS OF NAVY FEDERAL ACCOUNTS

NUMBER OF INQUIRIES

INSUFFICIENT VARIETY OF SECURED LOAN ACCOUNTS?!? I have a Sheffield trailer loan and a ram truck loan I've paid from 90k to 20k since November 2019...

LENGTH OF NAVY FEDERAL MEMBERSHIP

Smiley Sad

I applied for a card last November. My FICO 9s were a bit lower than yours. My factors also included length (I had been a member for about a month), secured loans (never had one), and inquiries (I had 1 on TU, ever). I didn't get the balance status (I had moved over about $4K because I was considering an SSL). I only had checking (not Flagship) and savings, and I didn't have direct deposit set up. But my internal score was more than 100 points higher than yours.

It sounds like you were at 4/6, so the inquiries could be part of it. Setting up direct deposit and putting a few grand in savings couldn't hurt. Anything else, like high DTI? There's probably something you're not thinking of.

Message 5 of 7
Thermionic_E
Regular Contributor

It may be high dti, and my account wasn't fully approved yet as I hadn't signed and had approved their social security document with the account number, and I finally had my debit activated and deposited 500 into savings and 500 into checking. I think I'll try reconsideration, but I'm not too hopeful. I suppose someone else was approved with a low 200s internal score so I'll just go for it.

Message 6 of 7
mfinsmi1
Established Contributor

@Thermionic_E its always worth it to try - the worst they can say is no 

Personal Cards (Over $100k):

Business Cards:

Rebuilding Starting Scores - December 2021

FICO SCORE 8/9 - Current 1/6/23

Stats: : 3/6; 8/12; 17/24 --- AAoA 3 YRS, 8 MO --- INQ: EX-6/TU-7/EQ-2
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.