Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart MC and Comenity’s Sephora VISA Guidelines

tag
TattnallTrio
Frequent Contributor

Walmart MC and Comenity’s Sephora VISA Guidelines

Hello everyone. I closed a few accounts that I used for my rebuild since I don’t need them (Victoria’s Secret, Zales, Overstock, Wayfair and Helsberg)
I am between 690-710 on all 3 bureaus. 1 inquiry in the last 12 months on TransUnion and 1 in the last 12 months on Experian. 0 on Equifax. I do have at least 30 inquiries on each bureau from 13-24 months ago (car shopping and app sprees)
No new accounts in the last time 12 months. Several opened 13-24 ago.
No late payments since BK7 Discharge 11-2017.
My utilization is less than 9% and I’m AZEO.

I burned Capital One and Synchrony but not Comenity.

My questions are:
Will I have a good chance of getting approved for a Sephora VISA with Comenity?
I tried their PreQual for a Toyota VISA and didn’t get an offer. I do buy beauty products for my kids.

Is the BJs MasterCard easier to get than Sephora?

What about the Walmart MasterCard?
I currently have a QS Visa (was a Journey VISA) with a $500 limit. Started at $300 went to $500. The past reasons for CLI denial have been too many inquiries. I also have a QS1 Mastercard $1,500. Same reason for CLI denial.

If I apply for a Walmart MC, will I have a chance or will I just get a store card since I already have 2 Major Capital One cards?

Should I close the QS1 and then apply? I like the the QS is a VISA and works at Costco is why I wouldn’t close it.

Thanks for your help.

I also didn’t mention, I have a few Comenity Cards like Big Lots $750, Meijer $500 and Ulta $250.

I have a Menard’s Capital One store card $1,500.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Re: Walmart MC and Comenity’s Sephora VISA Guidelines

You can close your QS1 if you're not pleased with the annual fee. But you don't have to close it to acquire a Capital One retail card, co-branded major card, or prime major card. The only cards that you're prevented from getting with two Cap One cards under your belt are their subprime cards.

Message 2 of 9
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Comenity will not approve you for a Visa/MC with a BK on your credit report, regardless if they were IIB. Numerous DPs on this, and I was instantly denied for a AKC Visa when my 2010 BK was around 7 years old, letter just listed BK.

Good advice from @HeavenOhio on Cap One cards.

Yeah, Cap One will consider you for a Walmart store card if they don't approve you for a MC. I don't see much advantage to a Walmart MC over the store card, but my store card transferred over from Synchrony and I have better reward cards for dining & travel.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaveInAZ wrote:

Comenity will not approve you for a Visa/MC with a BK on your credit report, regardless if they were IIB. Numerous DPs on this, and I was instantly denied for a AKC Visa when my 2010 BK was around 7 years old, letter just listed BK.

Yeah, Cap One will consider you for a Walmart store card if they don't approve you for a MC. I don't see much advantage to a Walmart MC over the store card, but my store card transferred over from Synchrony and I have better reward cards for dining & travel.

They gave me a $1K WS VISA. Maybe they did that because my BK will be gone in less than a year though. 

Message 4 of 9
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

Ronaldmorgan1982,

I was able to get approved for Toyota Visa and Good Sam's VISA after the 7 year mark after my chapter 7 bankruptcy. My TU Fico was 745 at the time.  

Hope this helps.

Guyatthebeach

Message 5 of 9
JaseT
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@DaveInAZ wrote:

They gave me a $1K WS VISA. Maybe they did that because my BK will be gone in less than a year though. 

Just to add to the DP’s, I was approved for my only Comenity account, a WS Visa, in 2018. My BK was discharged in 2017, so yes they do approve with BK on your record. I obtained mine through the SCT, and it specifically stated that I was preapproval for the VISA.

BK7 Filed 12/16, Discharged 3/17 *** Current Revolving CL Total $122.1k *** PIF/AZEO
6/19 FICO SCORES:
On My Radar Cards: Nothing ATM
Future Goal Cards: US Bank Cash +, Citi Double Cash, Discover It, BoA Cash Rewards, USAA Cashback Rewards Plus Amex
Message 6 of 9
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Hmmm, I've seen several postings that Comenity was a No for Visa/MC with a BK on CR. Perhaps they've loosened up . . . so I'll stand corrected. But I'll take a pass on them for me, turn me down and only reference a 7 yr. old BK, I move on . .

Message 7 of 9
JaseT
Established Contributor

@DaveInAZ wrote:

Hmmm, I thought it was @pizza1 who posted that Comenity was a No for Visa/MC with a BK on CR. Perhaps they've loosened up if at least 7 years post BK, but the OP was discharged in 11/2017, not likely an approval.

I think it’s all a YEMV thing, since my approval was just a little over a year after my BK7 discharge.

BK7 Filed 12/16, Discharged 3/17 *** Current Revolving CL Total $122.1k *** PIF/AZEO
6/19 FICO SCORES:
On My Radar Cards: Nothing ATM
Future Goal Cards: US Bank Cash +, Citi Double Cash, Discover It, BoA Cash Rewards, USAA Cashback Rewards Plus Amex
Message 8 of 9
J-F168
Frequent Contributor

I used to have several Comenity Visa (Sportsman's Guide Buyer's Club® Rewards Visa, former Total Rewards Visa, WS, ) I could get them at 6-7mo after D/C. Indeed every profile is different. My scores was in low mid 600's at that time.

I dunno if Sephora visa is an easy card to get cuz its not that old on the market. 

EX 716 - EQ 707 - TU 724
BK 7 D/C Dec '16.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.