cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Journey - AMEX BCE Prequal - Denied - Cap1 Prequal SaverOne - Denied - want a 3rd card.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Want a 2nd Visa or MC card as a backup. Thinfile How to approach this?

@Anonymous wrote:

Better Chance?  Not really.... It's all marketing tactics in most cases.  The few that were worthwhile for me were BBT / Regions as they showed the CL and APR info before hitting submit.

NFC... well, if you have a phone you can add the card to the wallet and be NFC no matter what the physical card does.

5%.... you have a Target card already.

SavorOne... How about Uber for the same spend? Comparison

The Category cards offering 5% are useful if you have several of them and can rotate them out for better earnings per quarter like Disco/Freedom/Cash+ even BOA @ 3% where you pick the category like Cash+.

For entertainment... Marvel card comes to mind @ 3%... Those gaming sites might fall under online subscriptions which there are some other options like BCP @ 6% potentially

Or you can shoot for the straight 2% options like DC / PPMC to keep it simple while starting out.

I'm of the few with a phone that doesn't have NFC. Does google/apple pay still mess with catagories or mostly sorted out now? 

Sync recently denied me for low limits and credit being too new so a path I can't go down. For now. 

Message 21 of 125
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can't really say on the categories.  

Maybe just sitting on the bench for a few months might be the best option?  These card options aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Message 22 of 125
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Can't really say on the categories.  

Maybe just sitting on the bench for a few months might be the best option?  These card options aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Yeah. Just looking and floating ideas. 

Message 23 of 125
Anonymous
Not applicable

the mcc for the sony online store and steam aren't entertainment. i forget what it codes as but its something like online digital store. so you'd need to use a 2% cb card on it. there's a mastercard booklet where you can look up the mcc's and a visa supplier locator website for it too.

Message 24 of 125
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Umm, Capital One's prequal is known to be pretty solid. It's a SP on EQ, not pure marketing. 

My denials would beg to differ.  2 times in the past couple of years... They might be mad because I closed out an old account with them that didn't see much action for several years as it was a carryover from HSBC when they bought their portfolio.

There's two niche areas where they will hand out cards.... where they can make a profit on Platinum and where they will make money on swipes with an aged / firm credit foundation w/o a lot of activity.  Their card practices put them at the bottom of the list of non-predatory cards.  

Well it's well-known that Cap doesn't like credit seeking. I'm still shocked that they approved my SavorOne. 

Cap does like thin files though and not just for Plat/QS1. They won't give a thin file Venture or Savor but regular QS, Venture One, and SavorOne are all in play for thinner files. 

I do think that aging existing accounts is probably a good idea right now but I would pick up one more before hitting the garden since one of those two revolvers is just a store card. 

Message 25 of 125
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Umm, Capital One's prequal is known to be pretty solid. It's a SP on EQ, not pure marketing. 

My denials would beg to differ.  2 times in the past couple of years... They might be mad because I closed out an old account with them that didn't see much action for several years as it was a carryover from HSBC when they bought their portfolio.

There's two niche areas where they will hand out cards.... where they can make a profit on Platinum and where they will make money on swipes with an aged / firm credit foundation w/o a lot of activity.  Their card practices put them at the bottom of the list of non-predatory cards.  

Well it's well-known that Cap doesn't like credit seeking. I'm still shocked that they approved my SavorOne. 

Cap does like thin files though and not just for Plat/QS1. They won't give a thin file Venture or Savor but regular QS, Venture One, and SavorOne are all in play for thinner files. 

I do think that aging existing accounts is probably a good idea right now but I would pick up one more before hitting the garden since one of those two revolvers is just a store card. 

Yeah trying to get ONE more card under my belt. A SaverOne and I'd bet set for quite awhile. 

Perhaps I should just take the plunge for a SavorOne when my usage reports much lower and see what happens. If denied garden for awhile. Not too concerned about SL as I expect it to be low if approved. 

The only thing worse about TU and then EX here is a extra HP due to being denied for Sync. Not sure how sensitive Cap1 would be on that. 

I guess really 2 HPs with TU 1 with EQ and 0 with EX 6 months in isn't exactly terrible and I still have some more room. 

Message 26 of 125
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah trying to get ONE more card under my belt. A SaverOne and I'd bet set for quite awhile. 

Perhaps I should just take the plunge for a SavorOne when my usage reports much lower and see what happens. If denied garden for awhile. Not too concerned about SL as I expect it to be low if approved. 

The only thing worse about TU and then EX here is a extra HP due to being denied for Sync. Not sure how sensitive Cap1 would be on that. 

I guess really 2 HPs with TU 1 with EQ and 0 with EX 6 months in isn't exactly terrible and I still have some more room. 

Cap won't care about those few inquiries for sure. 

They also want customers who will actually carry a balance since that's where they make their money is on finance charges so I would $0 the REDcard and keep WF under 30% instead of AZEO so you can show that you're using credit but you're using it responsibly. 

If the SavorOne doesn't pop on prequal but the regular QS does, you might consider just getting the regular QS to get that relationship going with Capital One. Honestly despite having higher earning cards, my QS still is one of my favorite cards. 

Message 27 of 125
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Cap won't care about those few inquiries for sure. 

They also want customers who will actually carry a balance since that's where they make their money is on finance charges so I would $0 the REDcard and keep WF under 30% instead of AZEO so you can show that you're using credit but you're using it responsibly. 

If the SavorOne doesn't pop on prequal but the regular QS does, you might consider just getting the regular QS to get that relationship going with Capital One. Honestly despite having higher earning cards, my QS still is one of my favorite cards. 

My REDcard pretty much always reports as 0. I have no reason to float a balance on that during the grace period. 

One concern I have is Cap1 denial based on income. However the low income seems to be ok with Target and WF for low limits and WF is known to be extremely picky so perhaps it's ok. 

Message 28 of 125
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't remember you sharing your income on these posts so far so I don't want to say it won't be a problem without knowing what it is but I mean I'm on SSDI and have an $18K income and none of my lenders have taken an issue with it. I have $8250 limit on my QS that started life as a $300 Platinum and they gave me a $10K SavorOne back in June. 

I have a thick file though (AAoA 2y-3y3m depending on the bureau and AoOA 9y7m) which is what makes a big difference. Cap would probably start you at the $1K minimum on the SavorOne if they approve you (QS has the same minimum). 

Also if you want that REDcard to ever grow, you need to let balances report and then pay it off. TD's algorithm apparently doesn't look at activity that doesn't get reported. 

Message 29 of 125
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't remember you sharing your income on these posts so far so I don't want to say it won't be a problem without knowing what it is but I mean I'm on SSDI and have an $18K income and none of my lenders have taken an issue with it. I have $8250 limit on my QS that started life as a $300 Platinum and they gave me a $10K SavorOne back in June. 

I have a thick file though (AAoA 2y-3y3m depending on the bureau and AoOA 9y7m) which is what makes a big difference. Cap would probably start you at the $1K minimum on the SavorOne if they approve you (QS has the same minimum). 

Also if you want that REDcard to ever grow, you need to let balances report and then pay it off. TD's algorithm apparently doesn't look at activity that doesn't get reported. 

Lower then that being self employed but my costs are low right now. Yes, I'm still living at home. Some people seeing this as being bad but it save a load of costs at some freedom. Social acceptability be damned Smiley Happy 

I'd be more then happy with a 1k SL. More is better for FICO score optizmiation of course. 

As I said at the end of the day i don't carry balances on credit cards I just use them for the benefits and have cash on hand to cover what I charge. Use the grace period to keep the cash on hand longer as it's free anyways. 

Message 30 of 125
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.