cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to apply for SavorOne, already have 2 cards with Cap1 but might close one. Should I?

tag
timbalero
Established Member

Want to apply for SavorOne, already have 2 cards with Cap1 but might close one. Should I?

Some background: I just bought a house (first time buyer) and will close in 3 weeks (yay!). After closing, I anticipate having to buy a bunch of stuff homeowners need (furniture, lawnmower, ladder, tools, etc.) and I would like to put it on a credit card with 0% promo APR for the first year (don't worry, I'll pay it all off before the regular APR kicks in).

I've been eyeing the SavorOne as a possible option, but I already have 2 cards with Capital One: a Quicksilver ($10k limit) and VentureOne ($6.5k limit). I rarely use the V1 except every few months to keep it open, and wouldn't miss it if it was gone. It is my oldest card, though. Something like 6.5 years old whereas the QS is only about 4 years old.

My question: If I close the VentureOne before applying for the SavorOne, will that increase or decrease my approval odds? Also, will I get a higher or lower starting limit on the SavorOne? Or will it have no effect whatsoever on either?

Also, side question: Would I be considered too risky to approve right now since I just took out a mortgage? I would obviously wait until after closing to apply for the card, since the mortgage matters way more, but would that have a negative effect on my approval odds for the card?

Discover It $8.5kAmEx BCE $20kWF Autograph $11.9kPenFed PCR $17kCap1 SavorOne $8kCap1 Quicksilver $10kCap1 360 CheckingFidelity CMA
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Re: Want to apply for SavorOne, already have 2 cards with Cap1 but might close one. Should I?

Mortgage makes you more stable not less (in theory).

I would check prequal.

I would apply for Savor(one) before closing any other card.

Congrats on your new house and GL!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 2 of 12
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

Re: Want to apply for SavorOne, already have 2 cards with Cap1 but might close one. Should I?

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

I would check prequal.

+1 to applying before closing a card. Unfortunately there is no prequal for the S1 any longer. Only for Secured, Platinum, QS, and QS1. Walmart card as well, but the prequal link is on a different page. Congrats on the home, and good luck if you app! Let us know how it turns out! 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 3 of 12
timbalero
Established Member

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

Even if I just got approved for it and don't have any payment history on it yet?

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

I would check prequal.

Doesn't prequal only check for subprime cards like the Platinum or QSOne? There's some fine print at the bottom of the prequal page that seems to hint at this, but not sure.

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

Darn. I was actually hoping it would help my odds to close one. Remembering to put periodic charges on the VentureOne is a hassle sometimes.

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

Thank you! Smiley Happy

Discover It $8.5kAmEx BCE $20kWF Autograph $11.9kPenFed PCR $17kCap1 SavorOne $8kCap1 Quicksilver $10kCap1 360 CheckingFidelity CMA
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have no Cap cards, NOT sure but believe they recently change rules that you may only have 2 Cap cards at one time. Know others have more than 2, grandfathered in. 

Message 5 of 12
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Cap One used to prequal for any card.

It was nice because if you prequaled for Venture (not venture one) then you knew you would get a $5k+ CL.

I guess they changed it.

GL!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 6 of 12
timbalero
Established Member

@Ficoproblems247 wrote:

+1 to applying before closing a card. Unfortunately there is no prequal for the S1 any longer. Only for Secured, Platinum, QS, and QS1. Walmart card as well, but the prequal link is on a different page. Congrats on the home, and good luck if you app! Let us know how it turns out! 

Thanks and will do!

Message 7 of 12
timbalero
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:

Have no Cap cards, NOT sure but believe they recently change rules that you may only have 2 Cap cards at one time. Know others have more than 2, grandfathered in. 

This is only true for Capital One's subprime cards (Platinum, Secured, QuicksilverOne, and Journey I think). You can have up to 5 of their prime cards (Savor/SavorOne, Venture/VentureOne, and Quicksilver), per their own website. This is from Cap1's own product page for the SavorOne, at the bottom in the "Rate and fee information" section:

I understand that I am not eligible for this offer if:

[...]

I have 5 or more open credit card accounts with Capital One.

https://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards/savorone-dining-rewards/

Message 8 of 12
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Per the T&Cs posted right on Cap1's website: You may not apply for Secured, Platinum, QS1, or Journey if you currently have TWO or more Cap1 products. You may not apply for Venture, Savor, V1, S1, or QS if you have FIVE or more products with Cap1. The rule of 2 only applies to their sub-prime products. OP will be complete fine to app for S1. 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@timbalero 

Thank you for correction. Read it somewhere and did realize it was only sub primes.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.