Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird Denial Letter for CL Increase

tag
Dervrak
Valued Member

Weird Denial Letter for CL Increase

About ever six months or so, I make the rounds with my credit cards asking for CL increases. Most are usually denied, but once in a while I get lucky and get a bump. 

Made the rounds at the start of August, typical result, I got a bump on 2 of my accounts and rejections on the other 8. 

However, this time I received a denial letter from BBVA Compass with a reason for the denial I had never seen before:

Description of Action Taken: We have declined your application for a credit limit increase

Principal Reason(s) for Credit Denial, Termination, or Other Action Taken Concerning Credit

-LexisNexis Risk View Score-

So what is this? A new scoring system I have to worry about on top of my credit score now? In the past the reason for denials have always been something like "Inadequate time at current credit limit" or "Length of Credit History" or similar.

So is there any place I can find out what my LexisNexis score is and how to raise it?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Re: Weird Denial Letter for CL Increase

I don't think the score is available. But one would think it would have been provided if it was the basis of your denial. Reports should be available.

We usually hear about these scores when insurance checks your credit to determine rates (unless you live in California, Massachusetts, or Hawaii, where using credit to determine insurance rates is prohibited).

There are some differences between LN and FICO. One of them is that store cards — particularly gas and auto parts cards — hurt your score.

Message 2 of 11
Munderful

Wait, what? I always read how we should have great credit score to get better insurance rates. I’m thinking auto and even home insurance. But I never see a difference. When my credit was stellar my auto always seemed high. I request to have it lowered because of my score and it would drop like $11.00 or something chumps. I never see any change which at current is actually wonderful cause I hit a major patch few months back and my score was dented. I’m in California. I never heard of any prohibiting factors of yea or nay. I got to look this up. And then, why? I’m a drone flyer and Cali is one of the only states not offering insurance coverage for the expensive copters. Again, why? Googling....

Starting Score: 575
Current Score: 689
Goal Score: 830

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 11
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

Ahhh good ol’ LexisNexis!
LN is a secondary Consumer Reporting Agency which is actually more like a Data Collection and Mining Company that buys and sells Consumer informations varying from Utility bills, Traffic and accidents, and pretty much anything and everything under the consumer sun!
Problem with them is more often than not their data is either very out dated or downright inaccurate!
That’s the reason why a lot of MFers have theirs permanently frozen and locked along with Sagestream, ARS, etc....
To prevent financial institutions from gaining access to inaccurate data and giving an “Unfair Risk Assessment” of the Consumer/applicant.
New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 4 of 11
zerofire
Valued Contributor

@Dervrak wrote:

About ever six months or so, I make the rounds with my credit cards asking for CL increases. Most are usually denied, but once in a while I get lucky and get a bump. 

Made the rounds at the start of August, typical result, I got a bump on 2 of my accounts and rejections on the other 8. 

However, this time I received a denial letter from BBVA Compass with a reason for the denial I had never seen before:

Description of Action Taken: We have declined your application for a credit limit increase

Principal Reason(s) for Credit Denial, Termination, or Other Action Taken Concerning Credit

So what is this? A new scoring system I have to worry about on top of my credit score now? In the past the reason for denials have always been something like "Inadequate time at current credit limit" or "Length of Credit History" or similar.

So is there any place I can find out what my LexisNexis score is and how to raise it?

Was there an actual score listed? If not most likely it is just a template that they used with no core obtained. I had a Synchrony Bank denial that had a place for a FICO score but since they used all internal data they never filled it in. As for the denial it is probably due to LexusNexus. They are a bureau that likes to collect everything under the sun. As a side effect the reports have a habit of being rather stale or absolutely garbled. The catch to this is though that they might have listed all of your CLI requests and resulting denials. Be aware that some lenders will do HP's for CLI's so that will be on your main beureu's credit reports.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 5 of 11
Dervrak
Valued Member

@zerofire wrote:

@Dervrak wrote:

Was there an actual score listed? If not most likely it is just a template that they used with no core obtained. I had a Synchrony Bank denial that had a place for a FICO score but since they used all internal data they never filled it in. As for the denial it is probably due to LexusNexus. They are a bureau that likes to collect everything under the sun. As a side effect the reports have a habit of being rather stale or absolutely garbled. The catch to this is though that they might have listed all of your CLI requests and resulting denials. Be aware that some lenders will do HP's for CLI's so that will be on your main beureu's credit reports.

No. There was no score, just that reason for denial. I brought this up in another thread and someone mentioned that BBVA Compass doesn't typically offer credit lines above what I already have, $10k, at least throught the normal CL increase process.  They said the letter might have just been a generic denial the system spits out when you request a credit line increase after already having hit their ceiling because they didn't do a hard or soft pull knowing there was no reason. A little confusing if true. You would think they would just say, "Sorry Bud. Don't bother asking for any more increases. Max we give is $10k."  

Message 6 of 11
Remedios
Credit Mentor

LN Risk score is not a traditional score. LN is data aggregator and as such, provides types of information that's not on your CR. 

An example, they may determine you to be a higher risk because of the address. They may determine you're a higher risk based on the phone number prefix. They will reference your assets. If you moved too many times, they will reference that, too 

Scoring wise, Fico does not care if you have cards from sub prime lenders, nor does it care about the limits. LN risk score will specifically address the presence of subprime lenders and store cards. It goes on and on. It's beyond intrusive, but a lot of lenders are starting to rely on secondary reports such as this one, Sage Stream, Innovis etc. because they provide a deeper look into financial life, among other things. 

Oh and the boats. Apparently because I dont own a boat, I'm a higher risk. At least they did not annotate I dont own a plane, either. 

There is hardly anything you can do about them, other than ordering a copy of your report and make sure there are no inaccuracies. 

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Munderful wrote:

Googling....

CBIS is what you're looking for. There are threads on it here under General Credit Topics.

https://www.naic.org/cipr_topics/topic_credit_based_insurance_score.htm

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dervrak wrote:

I'm guessing you have your reports frozen?

LN as others said is an aggregator of sometimes valid info and sometimes invalid info.  It's based off credit and public info DB's and usually where your ID verification questions pull their info from 20 years ago obscure questions and info.  You can request a copy of your full report from them and they'll send it in the mail.

Message 9 of 11
sarge12
Senior Contributor

Nobody seems to be mentioning this, so I will. I am fairly sure that the FCRA gives the consumer the right to a free copy of any CRA report that is used in the denial. That denial letter is a ticket to get a free copy of the LN report, and might be worth doing, just so you can get a peek behind the curtain. Just a thought.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.