Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome bonus pop-up message went away for Amex Gold charge card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome bonus pop-up message went away for Amex Gold charge card

Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to share an interesting DP on Amex Gold. So I've been looking into getting this card for a few months now. Applied for the first time back in late June and got the doomed pop up that I am not eligible for the welcome bonus. Obviously I didn't submit the application.

I started researching and turned out there's no answer as to why this happens but putting some spend MAY actually work. So I started putting automatic amazon gift card reload for $5/day for like a month, applied again a couple times after that (two weeks apart) and got the same popup message.

Kept those automated daily charges coming and in the meantime I also put a big fat juicy charge of 8 grand (it was planned, I'm not an idiot!) on my BCE card (only amex card I have) and waited another month or so until today when I applied again and finally got approved for 60K MR points welcome offer using incognito mode.

I can personally confirm that this trick works guys, at least for me, you just gotta be persistent. Hope this DP helps other people in the same boat.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Welcome bonus pop-up message went away for Amex Gold charge card

yes like I said that 8k was already planned (home improvement) and I only decided to put that on my amex BCE.. it may or may not have triggered it.. actually if I were to choose one of these two I'd say a consistent daily charge of $5 would probably have helped me more to remove that red flag than a big purchase like that

Message 2 of 5
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

actually if I were to choose one of these two I'd say a consistent daily charge of $5 would probably have helped me more to remove that red flag than a big purchase like that

You got it backwards.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't say it was the sole reason for that.. I'm just saying what happened and how it was removed.. from what I had researched back then, I learned that daily charges might show the Amex system that the account is active again and it was possible that the red flag was removed because of that.. but on the flip side you may be right too, it could be the large purchase that trigerred it, I still don't think there's one definitive answer for this.. in any case just wanted to share my experience!

Message 4 of 5
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Thanks for sharing the data points. If more people post their experiences, it will make it easier to determine if a sole large charge, and what the required amount might be, or just some daily use would remove the block on SUBs. I know it's been a pain point before and I'm sure people would be extremely happy if it turned out buying coffee every day for a few weeks would enable them to get a sub again.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.