Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wells Fargo Propel Decline

tag
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

Re: Wells Fargo Propel Decline

I was low 700s when I applied for WF Amex. Credit Seeker across the board. I received a message to call, then a request for 2 most recent pay stubs. Then a call asking for picture of driver's license and social security card. Figured I was denied, but almost a month later, card arrived in mail.

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 21 of 31
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

Sorry to hear about the denial OP.

Just keep on improving your profile and try again. 
I got mine on my 4th app in a 4 yr period with them. And trust me when I say that card is super worth it! Easily on my top 3 cards if not number 1! 
I will suggest an EX F9 of 720+, 0/12 hp and no more than 3/24 new accts on EX for best result! Yeah it's a bit challenging but that card like I said is really worth it! - This coming from a WF hater! Lol

New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 22 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JR_TX wrote:

Sorry to hear about the denial OP.

Just keep on improving your profile and try again. 
I got mine on my 4th app in a 4 yr period with them. And trust me when I say that card is super worth it! Easily on my top 3 cards if not number 1! 
I will suggest an EX F9 of 720+, 0/12 hp and no more than 3/24 new accts on EX for best result! Yeah it's a bit challenging but that card like I said is really worth it! - This coming from a WF hater! Lol

Thanks for the encouragement. I travel often and live in Paris so this card would get tons of use from me. Plus no annual fee is lovely. I'll try again next year. As they say here on boards. Credit is a marathon not a spring so it's all good. 

Message 23 of 31
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Who do I have to $@#% to get this darn card? TBH I knew my chances were slim but since it's my goal card I gave it a go. Took a 6pt hit on EX for nothing. Even after recon no dice. 

I'm kind of at a lost for words. No way in hell would I waste a HP on something that I thought my chances would be slim to none. OK I added the "to none" but Why? Why? Why?  would you do that to yourself. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 24 of 31
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Who do I have to $@#% to get this darn card? TBH I knew my chances were slim but since it's my goal card I gave it a go. Took a 6pt hit on EX for nothing. Even after recon no dice. 

Sorry to hear of the decline. 

Work on getting your utilization down some.

In the meantime, if you don't have an account with them; open a savings account and put $300 in there (avoid the monthly fee by staying above $300 minimum daily balance).

A minimum of 90 day's after this last denial, and at least 30 days of having the savings account opened; and 6 months have passed since your last inquiry. 

Opening an account was suggested by some on here, CSR said "having an account won't hurt your chances, but we aren't allowed to tell you a relationship is required for your scores."

The CSR also said they look at inquiries during the previous 6 months; "two is too many."

Better luck next go around. 

(Conversation with CSR took place in March 2018, so no promises all information listed may be outdated) 

Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 25 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditInspired wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm kind of at a lost for words. No way in hell would I waste a HP on something that I thought my chances would be slim to none. OK I added the "to none" but Why? Why? Why?  would you do that to yourself. 

People do dumb things all of the time. I'm not the first and certainly won't be the last. 

Message 26 of 31
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditInspired wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

People do dumb things all of the time. I'm not the first and certainly won't be the last. 

Meh! Its only one inq!

Message 27 of 31
Nomad3
Frequent Contributor

Sorry about the denial OP!

I got mine as my 2nd card ever. 764 with 8% reporting on my only card and a 30d late on a closed auto and I barely got my foot in the door with minimum SL.

Message 28 of 31
KiraSan
Established Member

Sorry to hear about the denial!!!

I too have this card on my must have list. Applied last year for two cards, chase freedom(approved 7k) and a month later WF propel for which I was denied.

Reason was something like opened too many trade lines or not long enough credit history.

Stats when I applied:

Score from the denial letter I got was 740+

Cards: RBC Black - $5K, JCP - $600

AoYA ~1m | AAoA ~ 1.5y | AoOA ~ 1.7y | Inq - 2 | HP: Ex + TU

Gardening Since then, planned to apply again in a few months but now based on how hard it is I won't be trying until I have really solid credit.

Message 29 of 31
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Odds of approval for a Wells Fargo card are definitely better if you're an existing client and they do sometimes extend preapprovals (you'll still take a HP if you apply) to new clients 6 months after they open an account.

It's up to you to determine if you want a WF card enough that you're willing to open up a checking and/or savings account with them and waiting several months before applying in order to improve your chances of success. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 30 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.