Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wells Fargo or AMEX after CO

tag
Niceman
Established Member

Wells Fargo or AMEX after CO

So when I was 20 I was stupid.  I had credit cards with BoA, Wells Fargo, Chase, Discover, and AMEX.  I just ran them all up and I just didn't pay yhem.  Like I said stupid.  Most of them were sent to collections and I just hide from the creditors.  Never paid them back but of course it totally screwed up my credit.  Fast forward 19 years and I worked hard rebuilding my credit.  Everything is always paid on time.  No balances carried over each month (except for my mortgage and car lease) and no negative marks at all on my credit report.  I rebuilt my relationship with BoA (5 CCs with them), Chase (3 CCs with them), and Discover.  I also have the Citi Double Cashback, couple of Barclay Cards, and PenFed.  

My "Fico 8" according to Citi Card is 846 (range goes up to 900), BoA has me at 821 for Fico 8 (range goes up to 850) on TU, CreditWise shows 831 on TU (Not a Fico but range goes to 850), CreditKarma has me at 833 on both TU and EQ.  All three credit reports show the same accounts.

I keep wanting to try either Amex or WF.  I heard they are really hard to get back in with.  I don't need them but guess it's kind of hey I made it.  I just revied my CRs and only one new credit card in the last 24 months.  So really trying on the fence if I should try or not.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Wells Fargo or AMEX after CO

After 19 years, there is a chance. Go to Amex and see if you are pre-approved for any of their cards. While they have a long memory, some have had success of getting back with them after a period of time. Good luck! 

Message 2 of 7
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

Try Amex first as they don’t HP if you’re blacklisted with them (So no harm done). They filter out people on their internal list first before they do a HP and auto reject people that are blacklisted. Not sure about WF but most likely a HP regardless.
New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 3 of 7
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

Just a heads up...

Amex Prequal is not reliable if you’re on their Blacklist. Heck they always show me prequal’ing for their cards then auto deny me when I go ahead and apply. Lol
New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 4 of 7
Niceman
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:

After 19 years, there is a chance. Go to Amex and see if you are pre-approved for any of their cards. While they have a long memory, some have had success of getting back with them after a period of time. Good luck! 

Thanks I tried AMEX preapproval site and it gave me three options, the Platinum, the Gold, and the Everyday card.  I may have to pull the trigger tomorrow on the Everyday card and see what happens.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why tomorrow? Do it now! 😂

Message 6 of 7
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.