cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Utilization % is good for CLI from Capital One?

tag
Repairman
Established Contributor

Re: What Utilization % is good for CLI from Capital One?

@Curious_George2 wrote:

Yes, myEquifax has a free membership option that includes the reports I mentioned. I think you could pay something to get more, but I've never looked closely at that option.

EX is a little different. They do have some cool stuff available at experian.com, including the surprising ability to do one free trial after another (cancel before you incur charges), with no limit. I like their services and interface quite a bit, but unfortunately the reports they provide do not include SPs. The only place I've been able to get EX reports with SPs shown is ACR. I used to have trouble getting EX reports from ACR, but I think I got it to work one time by... turning off my adblocker, or using Firefox or some other browser, or maybe using incognito mode? I don't remember the details, but once it worked, it kept working without any further problems. (Hope I didn't jinx it by saying that!) 

Good tips. I will try a different browser/no ad blocker.

Message 21 of 32
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

IMO, it's not worth the effort with them at the moment. Many DPs suggest that no matter how much spend/utilization is reported, even with large limits such as yours, they are still only offered a paltry $100 CLI.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 22 of 32
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

They're tight, but they're not quite that tight. Smiley Happy

I was tracking CapOne CLIs in the Approvals forum for nearly all of 2020. The three largest CLs to get a CLI on request (i.e. excluding autos) that I noted were as follows:

• Feb. 2020, @Openwater's $10k limit got a $1,000 CLI. Link
  • Aug. 2020, Openwater's $11k limit got a $1,000 CLI. Link
  • Sep. 2020, @jasonbourne84 reported that a $10k limit got a $1,000 CLI. Link

To my knowledge, the biggest limit to receive a $100 CLI is @JNA1's $1,600, in November, but I might have missed some. I'm not saying a $1,000 increase on an $11k limit is large relative to the market, but it's better than $100.

If the pattern holds, I expect if OP asks again after CapOne notices Util under 30% aggregate and under 80% on each card, they will give a CLI of $2,000. Admittedly, that's a bit speculative because I'm not aware that we have heard about any CapOne limits as large as $20k getting a CLI on request recently. I'm extrapolating based on their practice of giving around 10%.

Good luck @Repairman, and please keep us posted! 

Message 23 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

10% has got to be just about the most conservative there is out there when it comes to CLIs.

Message 24 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Repairman wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Repairman wrote:

I requested a cli yesterday on my Capital One Venture card, and it was denied. They did a sp on EQ and the only reason given for the denial is your financial obligations reported to us is too high. I viewed the CR they referenced, and it shows my utilization at 23%, but that is actually out of date and not updated. The report is actually still showing thousands of dollars of debt that has already been paid off. Therefore, once EQ updates, I do intend to request an increase again, but what would people advise is a good utilzation percentage for me to wait to achieve, before requesting, to increase my chances of getting a CLI from Cap One?

When you decide to ask for a CLI again, I would pull your annual credit reports (free to do so weekly thru 4/2021 - no scores) and see if Cap One has SP'd you lately. While the CRs may reflect changes, the report Cap One has may be very outdated. These reports specifically show when you jave been SP'd. You can pull EQ exclusively since that is what they are checking, it seems.

I recently got an auto CLI from them and they rarely SP me, but I noticed just a couple of days prior that they had SP'd my EQ. This was the first time in probably 6 months. I had been planning on hitting the luv button next month and was checking the last time they had felt me out. My util was much higher than usual (usually 1%, but had 30% reporting at time of SP, though, I have low credit limits, so raw $ is low).

So I sugeest double checking when they actually SP you. They don't do it when you hit the luv button. 

To echo the poster above, they have been tight with the purse strings and have been giving $100 (min) or 10% of CL for CLI when requested.

That brings up a whole other issue I have. It's very strange. I'm not sure why, but it won't allow me to access any reports but Transunion. For the 1st 2 weeks I accessed them, several months back, I got all 3 with no problem. However, since then, I can only access Transunion online. For EQ and EXP it tells me to send a written request and it wants me to supply documentation like photo id, etc. I'm not going through all of that, so I've just been viewing my Transunion free weekly.

I recently found that going straight through TU you can get a free report every 24 hours for free. These reports also include SP and "estimated date of removal", both I usually have obly been able to find through ACR. Just be careful to not get drawn into their paid service or credit scores. It is only the report (no scores) that you get free every 24 hours. They also take the 24 hours literally.

I have paid EX service, so I get a new report daily and a handful if EX scores, but no SPs are listed and they do not give the "on record until" dates unless you go into the dispute center. You dont actually file a dispute, you just go into the dispute center and poke around a bit at each account. Still no SPs there. Also, since I have the paid service, I am not certain what one gets with the free service - like free daily reports and such.

With ACR, every now and again it will say I need to mail for a report or send in info, but I just try again later or the next day and it eventually lets me grab my reports.

Message 25 of 32
Repairman
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Repairman wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Repairman wrote:

I requested a cli yesterday on my Capital One Venture card, and it was denied. They did a sp on EQ and the only reason given for the denial is your financial obligations reported to us is too high. I viewed the CR they referenced, and it shows my utilization at 23%, but that is actually out of date and not updated. The report is actually still showing thousands of dollars of debt that has already been paid off. Therefore, once EQ updates, I do intend to request an increase again, but what would people advise is a good utilzation percentage for me to wait to achieve, before requesting, to increase my chances of getting a CLI from Cap One?

When you decide to ask for a CLI again, I would pull your annual credit reports (free to do so weekly thru 4/2021 - no scores) and see if Cap One has SP'd you lately. While the CRs may reflect changes, the report Cap One has may be very outdated. These reports specifically show when you jave been SP'd. You can pull EQ exclusively since that is what they are checking, it seems.

I recently got an auto CLI from them and they rarely SP me, but I noticed just a couple of days prior that they had SP'd my EQ. This was the first time in probably 6 months. I had been planning on hitting the luv button next month and was checking the last time they had felt me out. My util was much higher than usual (usually 1%, but had 30% reporting at time of SP, though, I have low credit limits, so raw $ is low).

So I sugeest double checking when they actually SP you. They don't do it when you hit the luv button. 

To echo the poster above, they have been tight with the purse strings and have been giving $100 (min) or 10% of CL for CLI when requested.

That brings up a whole other issue I have. It's very strange. I'm not sure why, but it won't allow me to access any reports but Transunion. For the 1st 2 weeks I accessed them, several months back, I got all 3 with no problem. However, since then, I can only access Transunion online. For EQ and EXP it tells me to send a written request and it wants me to supply documentation like photo id, etc. I'm not going through all of that, so I've just been viewing my Transunion free weekly.

I recently found that going straight through TU you can get a free report every 24 hours for free. These reports also include SP and "estimated date of removal", both I usually have obly been able to find through ACR. Just be careful to not get drawn into their paid service or credit scores. It is only the report (no scores) that you get free every 24 hours. They also take the 24 hours literally.

I have paid EX service, so I get a new report daily and a handful if EX scores, but no SPs are listed and they do not give the "on record until" dates unless you go into the dispute center. You dont actually file a dispute, you just go into the dispute center and poke around a bit at each account. Still no SPs there. Also, since I have the paid service, I am not certain what one gets with the free service - like free daily reports and such.

With ACR, every now and again it will say I need to mail for a report or send in info, but I just try again later or the next day and it eventually lets me grab my reports.

Really? Good to know.

Message 26 of 32
Repairman
Established Contributor

@Curious_George2 wrote:

They're tight, but they're not quite that tight. Smiley Happy

I was tracking CapOne CLIs in the Approvals forum for nearly all of 2020. The three largest CLs to get a CLI on request (i.e. excluding autos) that I noted were as follows:

• Feb. 2020, @Openwater's $10k limit got a $1,000 CLI. Link
  • Aug. 2020, Openwater's $11k limit got a $1,000 CLI. Link
  • Sep. 2020, @jasonbourne84 reported that a $10k limit got a $1,000 CLI. Link

To my knowledge, the biggest limit to receive a $100 CLI is @JNA1's $1,600, in November, but I might have missed some. I'm not saying a $1,000 increase on an $11k limit is large relative to the market, but it's better than $100.

If the pattern holds, I expect if OP asks again after CapOne notices Util under 30% aggregate and under 80% on each card, they will give a CLI of $2,000. Admittedly, that's a bit speculative because I'm not aware that we have heard about any CapOne limits as large as $20k getting a CLI on request recently. I'm extrapolating based on their practice of giving around 10%.

Good luck @Repairman, and please keep us posted! 

Thanks!

Message 27 of 32
Iusedtolurk
Established Contributor

@AnonymousI believe you are saying you don't see your soft inquiries and if so this will help:

I view my softpulls all the time at Experian.

You can look at your soft pulls by following these steps below.

Then select "inquiries" and there will be a link down below after the "hard inquiries" that says "view soft inquiries"

View your soft inquires.

Then close it out/log out without actually filing a dispute.

EDIT: Included images

experian-dispute-guide1.JPG

experian-dispute-guide2.JPG

experian-dispute-guide3.JPG

experian-dispute-guide4.JPG

Message 28 of 32
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

Wow! That totally works. I had no idea. Thanks @Iusedtolurk!

Message 29 of 32
Repairman
Established Contributor

@Repairman wrote:

@Curious_George2 wrote:

Yes, myEquifax has a free membership option that includes the reports I mentioned. I think you could pay something to get more, but I've never looked closely at that option.

EX is a little different. They do have some cool stuff available at experian.com, including the surprising ability to do one free trial after another (cancel before you incur charges), with no limit. I like their services and interface quite a bit, but unfortunately the reports they provide do not include SPs. The only place I've been able to get EX reports with SPs shown is ACR. I used to have trouble getting EX reports from ACR, but I think I got it to work one time by... turning off my adblocker, or using Firefox or some other browser, or maybe using incognito mode? I don't remember the details, but once it worked, it kept working without any further problems. (Hope I didn't jinx it by saying that!) 

Good tips. I will try a different browser/no ad blocker.

I tried accessing the ACR site in a different broser, and it worked to let me access my Experian report. Oddly, the Equifax report was still not accessible.

Message 30 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.