cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Utilization % is good for CLI from Capital One?

tag
Repairman
Established Contributor

What Utilization % is good for CLI from Capital One?

I requested a cli yesterday on my Capital One Venture card, and it was denied. They did a sp on EQ and the only reason given for the denial is your financial obligations reported to us is too high. I viewed the CR they referenced, and it shows my utilization at 23%, but that is actually out of date and not updated. The report is actually still showing thousands of dollars of debt that has already been paid off. Therefore, once EQ updates, I do intend to request an increase again, but what would people advise is a good utilzation percentage for me to wait to achieve, before requesting, to increase my chances of getting a CLI from Cap One?

31 REPLIES 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What Utilization % is good for CLI from Capital One?

@Repairman wrote:

I requested a cli yesterday on my Capital One Venture card, and it was denied. They did a sp on EQ and the only reason given for the denial is your financial obligations reported to us is too high. I viewed the CR they referenced, and it shows my utilization at 23%, but that is actually out of date and not updated. The report is actually still showing thousands of dollars of debt that has already been paid off. Therefore, once EQ updates, I do intend to request an increase again, but what would people advise is a good utilzation percentage for me to wait to achieve, before requesting, to increase my chances of getting a CLI from Cap One?

@Repairman I think the best individual utilization is under 8.9% and if you have 3 cards or more follow the AZEO technique.

I think your previous utilization was pushing your score out of their range for a cli. Once everything updates, definitely try again. They have been stingy with CLIs lately (some folks have only been getting $100). I hope this is not true with you.

Edit: My initial post was blank so I updated it. 

Message 2 of 32
Repairman
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Repairman wrote:

@Repairman I think the best individual utilization is under 8.9% and if you have 3 cards or more follow the AZEO technique.

I think your previous utilization was pushing your score out of their range for a cli. Once everything updates, definitely try again. They have been stingy with CLIs lately (some folks have only been getting $100). I hope this is not true with you.

Edit: My initial post was blank so I updated it. 

Thanks for your input! But please explain to me what AZEO is. I have no clue.

Message 3 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Repairman wrote:

When you decide to ask for a CLI again, I would pull your annual credit reports (free to do so weekly thru 4/2021 - no scores) and see if Cap One has SP'd you lately. While the CRs may reflect changes, the report Cap One has may be very outdated. These reports specifically show when you jave been SP'd. You can pull EQ exclusively since that is what they are checking, it seems.

I recently got an auto CLI from them and they rarely SP me, but I noticed just a couple of days prior that they had SP'd my EQ. This was the first time in probably 6 months. I had been planning on hitting the luv button next month and was checking the last time they had felt me out. My util was much higher than usual (usually 1%, but had 30% reporting at time of SP, though, I have low credit limits, so raw $ is low).

So I sugeest double checking when they actually SP you. They don't do it when you hit the luv button. 

To echo the poster above, they have been tight with the purse strings and have been giving $100 (min) or 10% of CL for CLI when requested.

Message 4 of 32
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

AZEO = All Zero Excep One.  

Basically, letting only one card report a small balance (below 9%) during a reporting cycle.  Rotate as necessary and/or rinse and repeat until the desired optimized results are achieved.

There's a variety of threads in the General Credit Topics and Understanding FICO Scoring subforums that provide more in-depth guidance.

Message 5 of 32
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

So I sugeest double checking when they actually SP you. They don't do it when you hit the luv button. 

To echo the poster above, they have been tight with the purse strings and have been giving $100 (min) or 10% of CL for CLI when requested.

Just adding to what's mentioned above, temper your expectations as far as a CLI, OP.  

If you haven't used the card substantially, there may not be a CLI; or if approved, it is not going to be anything like AmEx or BoA, for instance.  

Message 6 of 32
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

For me, this denial reason is tied to a rule that seems to require aggregate utilization on revolving accounts to be under 30% and each individual revolver to be under 80%. Here's a link to a post where I discussed it.

As mentioned above, some people have found that Capital One goes 3-4 months between account review pulls, so any improvements you make might that long for them to notice. That hasn't been my experience, so YMMV.

And yes, the CLIs they are giving out now are basically 10%, with some rounding. Post 17 in the linked thread shows more detail about that.

Good luck! 

Message 7 of 32
Repairman
Established Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Just adding to what's mentioned above, temper your expectations as far as a CLI, OP.  

If you haven't used the card substantially, there may not be a CLI; or if approved, it is not going to be anything like AmEx or BoA, for instance.  

That's the thing, I have used it substantially. It is an almost $20,000 cl that was used close to the max 2 years ago and paid down to 0 that same year, and then brought to pretty much that same amount again last year and paid down again. Currently has a $3000 balance.

Message 8 of 32
Repairman
Established Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

AZEO = All Zero Excep One.  

Basically, letting only one card report a small balance (below 9%) during a reporting cycle.  Rotate as necessary and/or rinse and repeat until the desired optimized results are achieved.

There's a variety of threads in the General Credit Topics and Understanding FICO Scoring subforums that provide more in-depth guidance.

Thanks. I tried to search the topic before asking the question, but just came up with a bunch of posts mentioning it, without explaining it.

Message 9 of 32
Repairman
Established Contributor

@Curious_George2 wrote:

For me, this denial reason is tied to a rule that seems to require aggregate utilization on revolving accounts to be under 30% and each individual revolver to be under 80%. Here's a link to a post where I discussed it.

As mentioned above, some people have found that Capital One goes 3-4 months between account review pulls, so any improvements you make might that long for them to notice. That hasn't been my experience, so YMMV.

And yes, the CLIs they are giving out now are basically 10%, with some rounding. Post 17 in the linked thread shows more detail about that.

Good luck! 

Good info. The old EQ info has some my individual cards above 30% util, but in my actual current profile, my aggregate and individuals are all well under 30.

Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.