Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What balance to have for CLI?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What balance to have for CLI?

Does it matter if you make a partial payment or PIF before trying for a CLI? I just knocked my Disco balance in half..from near max to $500 and was going to try or am I wrong in thinking this way and I should have paid in full? Or does it just not matter and I am overthinking? The balance itself has never reported with a high utilization.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: What balance to have for CLI?

I think it depends on different variables. It's always good to have low UT when requesting a CLI. So, if your CL is $1K and you knocked it from say $900 to $500, it is still high UT of 50%. If you want a decent CLI, paying it down to <9% increases your odds. And it depends on your overall UT across all your CCs too, not just Disco. When I ask for a CLI on any card, I make sure that my aggregate UT is <5%. So it's not necessary to PIF, just to have low UT. Hope this helps and GL.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 2 of 7
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Im becoming of mind that the computer decides if you are eligble or not for a cli with Discover. Its always good to have your account looking its best but in thr end you are either eligble by whatever standards their computers are set to look for or you're notSmiley Wink. Good luck
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

lol I did it. I didn't feel like waiting for my $500 payment to process.

So my balance is currently $852 with about $100'ish in pending charges not posted yet. ($1250 limit)

Joe is right again. It didn't really matter.

$650 CLI!Discz.JPG

Message 4 of 7
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congrats nothighenough.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 5 of 7
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Way to go, gotta love Disco and those odd numbers. At least this gives you some breathing room nowSmiley Wink
Message 6 of 7
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Yeah the 300 odd number in my CL still gets me.. No soup for me however....

-J

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.