cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What did I do wrong? Amex blue cash Avery day.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What did I do wrong? Amex blue cash Avery day.

Asked Amex increase my balance and was denied. I have 500$ balance. They wrote me “ income you provided is insufficient relative to your overal debt obligations , as reflected in our records or on your credit report. Your recent payments are too low relative to your requested total line and your debt obligations with Amex.” Never had a late payments with the other cards and with that card as well. No derogatory marks. 2 hard inquiries. Fico and other scores 720. Age of credit history 1 and 3 months. I have a 9 months Discover account and they increase my balance twice from 2000$ to 3500$ and I’m not even ask them about that. What needs to be changed?
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: What did I do wrong? Amex blue cash Avery day.

Assuming that we replace balance with credit line, Amex denied you for a credit line increase because they determined that your income does not support the amount of credit you are using.

income you provided is insufficient relative to your overal debt obligations

What income did you report?  What is the current balance reporting on your credit reports from all credit cards, and what is the total credit limit among all of them?  Do you have loans such as student, auto, or mortgage?  What is the monthly payment on those?

Your recent payments are too low relative to your requested total line and your debt obligations with Amex

Are you making only minimum payments or slightly above on your Amex accounts?  For best results, and of course to avoid paying interest, you should pay the full statement balance each month prior to the due date.  Do you have other cards with Amex?  What is the current balance on those and what are their credit limits?

Message 2 of 19
SomewhereIn505
Valued Contributor

I’m sorry to hear you were denied.

From your credit line, I think you’re on AmEx version of credit steps. I think the wording says they’ll increasing 6 months after your 1st payment (roughly around your 7th statement).  

You didn’t indicate how long your account has been open. We’re you hoping after 61 days for a CLI? I believe it’s very much YMMV thing for those on the steps. 

3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716
6/26/18 FICO9 TU-750, EQ-672, EX-789

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I reported 30 000$ income. current balance reporting on my credit reports from all credit cards is 7500$ and I use 1300$ from all of them. I do not have any loans student loans , auto, or mortgage. I do not even use this card much because there only $ 500 I sometimes buy coffee from it or small expenses for $ 40 which I always pay in full.
Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

9 months of using this card.
Message 5 of 19
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Your income is fine in my opinion. Ive seen people with less than that, i for one , make less, get huge limits so other factors must be at play.
Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have Amex Everyday 2000$ limit. Never used more than 300$ always pay in full before before the report appears on my account.
Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not enough details about the overall credit history are being posted so I can't even comment.

Message 8 of 19
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
I reported 30 000$ income. current balance reporting on my credit reports from all credit cards is 7500$ and I use 1300$ from all of them. I do not have any loans student loans , auto, or mortgage. I do not even use this card much because there only $ 500 I sometimes buy coffee from it or small expenses for $ 40 which I always pay in full.

It's not clear from your post if you're still using 'balance' and 'credit line' interchangeably.  "Balance" generally refers to an amount you currently owe a creditor, not your credit lines.

In any case, if your credit profile is either new or you're rebuilding that would likely be bringing their attention to the other factors... IMO it's likely the combination of all of these that's holding you back. 

Someone with modest income but a strong credit profile will generally see good CLIs with Amex, even if they are carrying some balances.  But when you combine modest income, carrying balances and rebuilding and/or a new(ish) credit profile it's not surprising they are holding back. 

Don't worry, though... time will cure this.  With consistent usage and a good payment history Amex will eventually open the purse strings.  Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Total balance 1300$, total limits 7560$ . since the discovery increased the limit for me this month it will be 8560$. The oldest account I have is 1 year and 3 months with capital one, And 9 months with 1 discover ❤️ 2 Amex cards which I’m not really even use. I’m new with all of those scores and cards. But anyway, thanks for the answers. I think I realized that I should fix some things. But anyways, it is not fair that discover increases my balance without asks and Amex do not trust me despite the fact I don’t have and never had any negative things on my account. Very disappointed 😞
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.