Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What i learned about Amex.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What i learned about Amex.

Hello All , 

I've been a long time lurker on here. I want to thank all of you for what I've learned about credit. Because of this forum and many hours of research. I have got my credit to a much better place in 18 months.  I have a amex cash magnet card. and was cancelled for a pre approved blue cash preffered card 3 times , before anyone could even tell me why. The rep just told me tonight that you can only have 1 card from the same family of cards. I said really , I've heard of 1 within a certain period of time from the same family. I was put on hold while he contacted a supervisior. he came back on and told me he was correct. My question is has anyone ever heard of this ? Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: What i learned about Amex.

LolwutSmiley Wink

I have Cash Magnet and Blue Cash Everyday, someone is pulling your leg me thinksSmiley Wink
Message 2 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's BS.... the CM won't show up for me since I have the BCP but, I went around that issue and opened the CM link incognito and got it anyway.  Denial they're feeding you is bunk.

Message 3 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

AverageJoes , 

I've read of many people having both cards. I just wanted an aswer , and spent 45 minutes on the phone for the second time trying to get one. never a single denial , even though i was initially told it was tonight. they just keep cancelling the application. I was told they spoke to a manager tonight. I really wanted to say , so i know more about American express from myfico than your manager does. However , I'm not that type of person.

Message 4 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Obscure-Expert ,

The Blue Cash Preffered has disappeared since then. the answers I have got include pre approvals aren't guarenteed. Which , Is a true statement. However , they know what card I have and if it's not possible to have 2 in same family. why waste my time and their time for a cancelled app ? The second response was the only 1 card in same family. yet , all the others from that family still say pre approved. However , Blue cash preferred isn't anywhere to be found.

Message 5 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Let's put it this way.... I have both CM and BCP.  If you don't see it listed in a normal window then go incognito.  It will show up.  Cookies from your existing login are preventing you from seeing it under "recommended cards" .  It IS possible to have 2 from the same family.  The cancelled app probably wasn't cancelled for this reason but for something else like 2 apps in a short period of time.  Even if you were to apply in incognito it would still be a SP when the system sees your info matching an existing card holder account.  

I tend to open the links here in incognito mode and then open a new tab to login after hitting apply to prefill all the info as it would in a normal session and then hit submit.

Message 6 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is the reason listed , and tonights app didn't even show up. The reason for our decision is that you have reached the maximum number and type of Cards that we will approve within the period of a few months. Please know that your prior application(s) has been approved and your Card has been sent to you. Makes me think even more that the manager or rep had no idea what they were talking about. It specifically says within a few months.

Message 7 of 24
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This is the reason listed , and tonights app didn't even show up. The reason for our decision is that you have reached the maximum number and type of Cards that we will approve within the period of a few months. Please know that your prior application(s) has been approved and your Card has been sent to you. Makes me think even more that the manager or rep had no idea what they were talking about. It specifically says within a few months.

Amex has a 2/90 rule which has nothing to do with card family, just revolving credit products period. You cannot obtain more than 2 Amex credit products in 90 days, regardless of whether they are cobranded, cash back, point cards, whatever. Charge cards are not counted in that restriction though AFAIK.

The rep sounds like they're mistakenly assuming the 90 day rule has something to do with card family which it does not, unless there's a brand new policy.

Message 8 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

image.png

So, the question is.... how many CREDIT cards have you applied for with Amex and by chance was the approval for a lower limit than say $2000 or include steps info?

Message 9 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

KDM , 

I opened the cash magnet card on March 16th. I added an authorized user to the card later on. Does an authorized user count as an additional app ? The rep i talked to over a week ago said the system cancelled my app when it shouldn't have because the authorized users last name was the same as mine. I also specifically told the rep i have never heard of 1 card from same family. I told him i thought maybe it was a time thing and just wanted to know when i could app again if that were the case. he then supposedly contacted a suppervisor and said you can only hold 1 card from the same family. I just found it very interesting as I'd never heard of that before. I do however think I ,ay have read you can only apply for 1 card from same family within a period of time. I mentioned this to the rep as well.

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.