cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the strategy for CLIs? I just got a bunch of hard pulls doing it on my cards

tag
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What is the strategy for CLIs? I just got a bunch of hard pulls doing it on my cards

@Anonymous wrote:

If I'm denied a CLI are credit card providers required to send me a letter explaining why just like they are required when I get denied a credit card? Is that how it works? Some of them that denied me didn't state that they would send me a letter of explanation.

Yes.  So, if you were not approved for any recent CLIs, look for any notifications via snail mail, email or electronic messages -- depending on how you are subscribed or opted-in with those particular lenders.

Message 11 of 20
PandaGirl77
Regular Contributor

Re: What is the strategy for CLIs? I just got a bunch of hard pulls doing it on my cards

@Anonymous wrote:

If I'm denied a CLI are credit card providers required to send me a letter explaining why just like they are required when I get denied a credit card? Is that how it works? Some of them that denied me didn't state that they would send me a letter of explanation.

@Anonymous I'm not positive if required but I get letters through the card issuers online messaging system.  This is my experience with Disco and Cap1.  I have typically gotten the other CLIs I asked for on other cards. I think I asked BOA once and they declined then sent a postal letter if I recall.  Looking at your cards, have you hit the luv button on your Sephora? If you're looking to pad utilization I have used it that way.  Comenity is pretty good for CLIs.  

Message 12 of 20
PandaGirl77
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous  Oh! And btw, Comenity cards CLI requests are SPs

Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Love button? I didn't even attempt to do a CLI on Sephora because 1) I never use it and 2) I heard on the internet that they do a hard pull

Is there a way to get a CLI without a hard pull? I haven't even used the card for over a year and I'm surprised they haven't threatened to cancel it on me yet

Message 14 of 20
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Love button? I didn't even attempt to do a CLI on Sephora because 1) I never use it and 2) I heard on the internet that they do a hard pull

Is there a way to get a CLI without a hard pull? I haven't even used the card for over a year and I'm surprised they haven't threatened to cancel it on me yet

If you haven't used it in a considerable timeframe (long period of inactivity >12 mos), it's unlikely it will yield a CLI.  You can always try, though.  You can call the automated system, go through the prompts, until you hear the one for Credit Limit Increases. Or, you can submit it online. These 2 methods are typically SP.

If you try requesting the CLI through an agent, it will result in a HP in most cases.

Message 15 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

While that's good advice that I'll remember I feel like I'm inclined to just leave it be and not make any waves. My CL is already high enough for the amount I shop at Sephora and don't want them to take notice of me and reduce my limit. Target recently cut my CL in half even though I shop there 10x as much as I shop at Sephora

Message 16 of 20
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

While that's good advice that I'll remember I feel like I'm inclined to just leave it be and not make any waves. My CL is already high enough for the amount I shop at Sephora and don't want them to take notice of me and reduce my limit. Target recently cut my CL in half even though I shop there 10x as much as I shop at Sephora

Just be sure to use the Sephora account every so often.  Otherwise, Comenity can close it without notice if it remains inactive for a very long period.

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got it, I'll go and get something at Sephora in the next week. One of the reasons is that I'm not happy with Comenity. The last time I tried to set up automatic payments they said there was no such thing. Now, it appears, that has changed. But I feel like they're just out for blood. Of course all lenders are but Comenity and Synchrony more than most it seems to me. I'll actively avoid both of them in the future

Message 18 of 20
FishingGuy
Frequent Contributor

What I often do...  a month or two before requesting a CLI,  I specifically use that card for purchases, show usage ( even if higher than normal ) and then make substantial payments and or pay in full ...... prior to the request. 

I also only ask for CLI on cards that typically do or are known to do a soft pull.  If I'm not sure which way it may go (soft or hard pull).... I sometimes will call... and ask or request a CLI on a soft pull only... and will proceed only on soft pulls.   So far that's worked for me.

In the last month I received three this way.... Care credit increased $5,000  Amx BCP increased $ 4,300 Citi DC  increased  $2,000  I used hard pulls for new cards only  FNBO approved $15,000, CitiDP  approved $ 6,700..... a nice 30 day run..... now back to the garden for awhile. ( at least 6 months )   

Also fyi:  I also asked for the soft pull CLI's before the hard pulls on the new accounts So I had no hard pulls when applying for new accounts.

Message 19 of 20
PandaGirl77
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Got it, I'll go and get something at Sephora in the next week. One of the reasons is that I'm not happy with Comenity. The last time I tried to set up automatic payments they said there was no such thing. Now, it appears, that has changed. But I feel like they're just out for blood. Of course all lenders are but Comenity and Synchrony more than most it seems to me. I'll actively avoid both of them in the future

@Anonymous Love button is the request increase option on your Comenity issued cards online account overview page (wasn't sure if the ? meant you hadn't heard that term). Now, they may drop the hammer on me tomorrow and steamroll my profile...but just wanted to post in defense Comenity and SYNC.  IME they have been a huge help for my DPs.  They are some of my earlier cards and as a new homeowner Lowe's is a big help. Amazon's promotional financing has been a help as well. I've gotten CLIs both issuers almost every request. They do have ridiculous interest like most store cards but I don't notice because I PIF.  The newer Comenity MasterCard has done some very cool pop up rewards like 3% grocery or travel which is nice if I don't have another more beneficial card in those categories at the time. I don't like redemption thresholds and don't travel a TON so my WF Propel is not a satisfying go to for travel ($25 threshold) and Comenity's starting at $10 is nice. I know their online management is quirky, like you said AP feature. YMMV but like I said IME they are not all that bad.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.