Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When can I get a real credit card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: When can I get a real credit card?

Like others have suggested, if you "do your time" in the "garden"(I realize it can feel more like a jail), your scores will go up and you will have more proven history.

You also said you'll have a lot of inquiries dropping off soon.  Even though some folks go on about howthey dont effect the score after 1 year, it may be wise for youto wait for a bunch of them to drop off. Your scores arent that bad, but you have ample room for improvement, and I think it's possible in a very short time if you play your cards right.  

I'm not sure if your brother or anyone can get you more AU status on older cards, but it can be a quick fix for a boost. I seen you already are an AU, but I'm quite curious if another 1 or 2 might help you more if they are older? Do any experts want to weigh in and let us know if this "quick boost" is even possible or not?  Like a good CSR, I want to marshall my resources and help see this through. Any help is appreciated.  I'm losing my ability to post for some reason, yet I felt this one ws important enough to try something.

Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Like others have suggested, if you "do your time" in the "garden"(I realize it can feel more like a jail), your scores will go up and you will have more proven history.

You also said you'll have a lot of inquiries dropping off soon.  Even though some folks go on about howthey dont effect the score after 1 year, it may be wise for youto wait for a bunch of them to drop off. Your scores arent that bad, but you have ample room for improvement, and I think it's possible in a very short time if you play your cards right.  

I'm not sure if your brother or anyone can get you more AU status on older cards, but it can be a quick fix for a boost. I seen you already are an AU, but I'm quite curious if another 1 or 2 might help you more if they are older? Do any experts want to weigh in and let us know if this "quick boost" is even possible or not?  Like a good CSR, I want to marshall my resources and help see this through. Any help is appreciated.  I'm losing my ability to post for some reason, yet I felt this one ws important enough to try something.

As others have said, the prequal sites can be a GREAT tool for measuring where you are in their eyes. CapOne has a good one, and I wish Barclays did.  Those were my first 2 cards after bk7(although I waited 3.5-4 years to even start.  It's not technically gardening, so I named it "fertilization", a time of preparation.  It worked well for me, things went well and grew quickly in the fertile soil I prepared. I'm just saying what worked for me, not necessarily recommending anything,

And you're right about Discover's pre-approval site. It is a joke and should be taken down.  I wonder if all of us could email whomever is in charge of such things.  Anyhow, I'm falling asleep, so if this seems incoherent, it's the no sleeping at all last night, and not just the alcohol.  OP, I wish you the best.  Think of gardening as like practice for a sporting team.  You get yourself ready to go nuts at a later time!!   

Message 12 of 18
joltdude
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the advice. Discover has possibly the worst preapproval site ever according to many of the post on my fico. If i enter that I am a student it recommend the student card, have applied in the past and been denied, if I dont put that I am a student it recommends the secured card, applied in the past after the preapproval and was denied.

I will garden for a few more months then try the preapproval sites again. thanks 

On discover, their preapproval isnt the best, (if you get a single APR offer or very tight spread, it tends to be more reliable, but try signing up for credit scorecard through discover.. get a real fico once a month AND the preapproval offers from that site are a bit more reliable than the more random prequalifies from disco..

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Work with what you currently have. 

From personal experience, I was turned down by every single bank 6 years ago for limited credit history.

The smartest thing to do would be to use your current card for a year then apply for 2 more cards (Discover student IT and CapitalOne).

Then nurture those for an additional year (the longer the better). Then once you've paid your dues you can aim for the big banks and credit unions like Chase, Amex, BofA, NFCU, PenFed. 

See: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Chase-Trifecta-Complete/td-p/5000560

For my personal journey. 

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good news. I called Chases reconsidered line. My two collections paid for deletion did not yet report in my report. I had to suffer another hard pull but I was approved for chase freedom unlimited 2,000 starting limiting.

Once most of my inquiries fall off in mid august I will try again for the Am Ex. Thanks everyone.
Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

So what you are really asking us is how do you get your car insurance reduced after getting a speeding ticket for doing 100mph in a 55mph zone because you live 5 miles away from WalMart Marketplace that was closing in 10 minutes.

And this is your second ticket for the same violation.

Slow down a little.  It's not that much more fun after $10,000 limits anyway.

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am sure you think your stupid analogy is funny but it makes no sense and serves now purpose.

If you could read I got the card I wanted now no need to reply to this thread anymore. Especially for nonsense
Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

You got a real credit card.  7/17/2017.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.