Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When can i apply for a prime card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: When can i apply for a prime card

Yeah my utiliazation is high and i have 3 cards reporting high balance (about 33% of their limit). The lates are old but the BK scares me.
Message 11 of 21
Gregory1776
Valued Contributor

You could, at 650+ i would wait to 680 or so.

wrote:
Dang 4 months is a longgg time. But i think im going to take your advice. I was thinking about trying Penfed first when i do pull the trigger. How do you feel about 25 lates. Can i get approved with them?

Message 12 of 21
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

wrote:
Dang 4 months is a longgg time. But i think im going to take your advice. I was thinking about trying Penfed first when i do pull the trigger. How do you feel about 25 lates. Can i get approved with them?

I like the credit union idea. If you don't get approved for a card right away, if you can get membership, you'd have your foot in the door. I'd still let the six months elapse before applying, though. Penfed in particular is sensitive to new accounts. I'm not sure where 25 lates might fit in. Someone else would have to chime in on that. All I can suggest is that you have your reports and scores in the best shape that you can.

Message 13 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Howdy!! Well, if you are looking to get a premium card, in order to be in the running for one you’d have to a least be in the 650 + credit score range. AMEX is one of the easier cards to get approved for, but you’d have to get rid of late payments and I am not sure they will take well to a BK.

The other cards out there that are premium are going to have tighter requirements. All of the Visa Infinite cards would have to start at a $10K limit. You’d have to be able to qualify for that. These cards would be CSR, Ritz Carlton Card and US Bank Altitude. The other premium cards would be the Citi Prestige (MC World Elite) and the two AMEX (Platinum and Hilton Honors Aspire).

Now, all of these cards have either a $450 or $550 AF. If you’d be looking for some that are a little below that, you’d be looking at CSP, CapOne Venture, Citi ThankYou Premier, B of A Travel Card or one of the AMEX Preferred Everyday Cards. These cards all have a $95 or $99 AF. The requirements on these cards sometimes are harder than the cards with the higher AF’s.

Hopefully that helps. Good luck with your decisions! ☺️
Message 14 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

Howdy!! Well, if you are looking to get a premium card, in order to be in the running for one you’d have to a least be in the 650 + credit score range. AMEX is one of the easier cards to get approved for, but you’d have to get rid of late payments and I am not sure they will take well to a BK.

The other cards out there that are premium are going to have tighter requirements. All of the Visa Infinite cards would have to start at a $10K limit. You’d have to be able to qualify for that. These cards would be CSR, Ritz Carlton Card and US Bank Altitude. The other premium cards would be the Citi Prestige (MC World Elite) and the two AMEX (Platinum and Hilton Honors Aspire).

Now, all of these cards have either a $450 or $550 AF. If you’d be looking for some that are a little below that, you’d be looking at CSP, CapOne Venture, Citi ThankYou Premier, B of A Travel Card or one of the AMEX Preferred Everyday Cards. These cards all have a $95 or $99 AF. The requirements on these cards sometimes are harder than the cards with the higher AF’s.

Hopefully that helps. Good luck with your decisions! ☺️

I don't think he's talking about that kind of prime cards, more like Chase, Citi, Boa, Amex, regular cards with no annual fee.

Message 15 of 21
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Lol, +1 TreasureSmiley Wink.

My question concern the lates. Are those student loans?
Message 16 of 21
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Apart from that, quick tip do not get more lates with your current cards, especially after a recent bk, wont look good. Eventually youll get to "prime" territory. In todays credit world, achieving that doesnt necessarily need a 700 ficoSmiley Happy
Message 17 of 21
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

I believe that AMEX requires that a bankruptcy be five years old, and Chase now requires that it be off one's report entirely. That's definitely something the OP will want to come here and ask about when applying.

Message 18 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

I believe that AMEX requires that a bankruptcy be five years old, and Chase now requires that it be off one's report entirely. That's definitely something the OP will want to come here and ask about when applying.

Chase can be gotten through reconsideration. That thread that said it had to be off the report was updated to reflect this.

Message 19 of 21
joltdude
Senior Contributor

wrote:
Lates are from Fed Loan Services. Should i ask for goodwill removal?

You can try but very likely it won't work since they are student loans... Not to be a buzzkill but your not in the ballpark yet for a more mainstream credit card..... Definitely need more time..... and a higher FICO score.... and a lower utilization.... think with a little work paying down and off some of those cards.. get that utilization down.. and let more of your cards get to at least 6months of age.. youll be better off and in condition to app..... 

Heres the thing.. lates sting less the older they get (that time thing)... also new accounts sting less (yes i know most of your accounts are SCT and such) .... Youll get there.. but its going to be later this year....

And you think 4 months is a long time... Again more bad news... Obtaining and improving credit is not a sprint, its a marathon... and a lot of what improves your credit relys on aging and takes time to establish... Esp lates that cant be removed...

-J

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.