cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to apply post for AMEX, Chase and Citi post CH13?

tag
rrscott426
Established Member

When to apply post for AMEX, Chase and Citi post CH13?

I'm sitting at 700+ on all 3 bureaus, up from 560 one year ago. I have Disco (2.3k), Cap1 QS (1.2k step program from secured), Paypal MC (1.6k), NFCU more rewards AMEX (4k steady CLI's from secured nRewards) and Paypal credit (1.2k), all of the cards are 2+ years old 0% util. I make 136k per year. My BK will be discharged in a month. When would be a good time to app for an AMEX, Chase or Citi card? Should I wait 3-6 months or should I just keep checking for offers to appear on the pre-qual sites?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: When to apply post for AMEX, Chase and Citi post CH13?

All of them blacklist if bk is present.

Amex 5yrs 1 mos

Chase 10 yrs*

Citi till whenever they feel like it

Sorry. There are other lenders in the sea.

Edit: Chase's policy is to blacklist for 10 years. If you apply after it falls off, you can get approved, unless, you subscribe to their credit journey or apply while bk is showing. The computer will remember. There are outliers, but they're rare. They only blacklist for 1 year for auto loans. Another thing to note, if chase was included in BK, you could be looking at a very, very, very long time before they'll approve you again.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex also remembers a very long time if you cooked them in a BK. I've seen DPs for Citi that they'll consider you seven years later but that will be a YMMV scenario, and like the others, probably a no-go if you burned them.

Agreed with @Brian_Earl_Spilner , gonna have to look elsewhere for quite awhile.

Message 3 of 7
rrscott426
Established Member

Thanks for the info, I greatly appreciate it. I didn't burn Chase, Citi or Amex in the BK. One last question. The blacklist timeline you posted, are the years from the BK discharge date or date it was filed?

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

For Amex it's 61 months post filing date, not discharge date. I'll let someone else answer for the other two - those I don't know.

Message 5 of 7
rrscott426
Established Member

Thanks for your help. I waited 61 months then started checking the AMEX pre qual site, almost daily!!!  The fish weren't biting, but on that 5th day of checking they took the bait. Got offers today for 2 Delta cards and the HH Aspire. App'd for the Hilton card and was approved for $3100 SL. On my way to recovery post bk. Man, this forum is awesome, you guys really know your stuff.  

Message 6 of 7
dragontears
Senior Contributor

For Chase it is auto denial if BK is on your report (as others mentioned) but since you have a 13 not a 7 it will be removed from your reports 7 years after filing not 10 like a BK7. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.