cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to ask for a CLI on my Navy Fed more rewards Amex?

tag
Mad12345
Regular Contributor

When to ask for a CLI on my Navy Fed more rewards Amex?

I'm at 181 day on my Navy Fed more rewards Amex. I have just over 10 % usage on the card from a auto repair ($24,000 limit----$2455.89 balance). Shoud I go ahead and ask for a CLI now or wait to pay the card down some more?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
800wannabe420
Regular Contributor

Re: When to ask for a CLI on my Navy Fed more rewards Amex?

@Mad12345 wrote:

I'm at 181 day on my Navy Fed more rewards Amex. I have just over 10 % usage on the card from a auto repair ($24,000 limit----$2455.89 balance). Shoud I go ahead and ask for a CLI now or wait to pay the card down some more?

I believe you should be OK to ask now.   Recent DP's suggest 6 statements from your last CLI seem to be an important factor when requesting a 6 month CLI. 

10% utilization on that card doesn't seem to be excessive. 

Message 2 of 11
Rebuild2019
Valued Contributor

@Mad12345 I agree you should be ok. I had a balance of around $900 on mine in Aug/Sept 2021 and NFCU gave me an auto CLI. I have paid that off. I think as long as they see you paying your cards off you are fine. Good Luck.

@Mad12345 wrote:

CARDS: Discover It | Kohl’s | Truist Spectrum Cash Rewards | Truist Bright | CITI Custom Cash | Chase Freedom Flex | Chase Amazon Prime Visa | VACU Cash Rewards Mastercard | Sam’s Club Mastercard | PenFed Gold Visa | NFCU CashRewards | NFCU More Rewards | NFCU Platinum Visa | AMEX BCE | Verizon Visa | Wells Fargo Active Cash | Amazon Prime | NFCU Auto Loan
Starting Scores 05/2019: EQ:519, EX:525, TU:574

CLOSED : Capital One Quicksilver One | OpenSky |
Message 3 of 11
Jordan23ww
Valued Contributor

@Mad12345 wrote:

Double check that you've also received 6 statements since your last limit increase.  If so you should be good to ask now.  My last 2 requests at 182 days and 183 days were both denied only to be approved days later when asking again after the 6th statement released. Now just to be safe I'm actually waiting 190 days before asking.  Just to be sure I get approved on the first try. Best wishes to you when you go for it!

Message 4 of 11
greatscott85
Frequent Contributor

Double check the calendar date as well. It should be 6 months. For ex, if your last cli or issue date was 1/1/21, then wait until 7/2/21. 

Good luck and keep us posted! 

Message 5 of 11
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@greatscott85 wrote:

Double check the calendar date as well. It should be 6 months. For ex, if your last cli or issue date was 1/1/21, then wait until 7/2/21. 

Only if their 6th statement is generated within the six months though. They go by statements as well as days. Similar to the 91/3 rule for first CLI/new account. 

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 6 of 11
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

@Jordan23ww wrote:

@Mad12345 wrote:

Double check that you've also received 6 statements since your last limit increase.  If so you should be good to ask now.  My last 2 requests at 182 days and 183 days were both denied only to be approved days later when asking again after the 6th statement released. Now just to be safe I'm actually waiting 190 days before asking.  Just to be sure I get approved on the first try. Best wishes to you when you go for it!

OP, I would agree waiting until you're at 190 days and after your 6th statement cuts.

Let us know how it goes.

Good luck!

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 7 of 11
greatscott85
Frequent Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:

@greatscott85 wrote:

Only if their 6th statement is generated within the six months though. They go by statements as well as days. Similar to the 91/3 rule for first CLI/new account. 

Yes indeed! I learned this lesson recently. Had 6 statements AND 181 days but something like 3 days before the calendar date, got denied. Reached out via SM and 2 days later, approval. They like to keep us focused! Haha

Message 8 of 11
PicoFico
Frequent Contributor

Also overlooked occasionally is that without spend in a statement period, a statement does NOT generate.

Make sure to get SOMETHING on the card each month if you plan on going for consistent CLI's with 181/6 bracketing.

Rebuild start: 5/15/19

Financial Institutions:
Wells Fargo | NFCU | Penfed
Products:
Discover It CB $2.1k | WF Propel $22.5k | PenFed PCR $20k | NFCU Platinum $10k | NFCU More Rewards $25k | NFCU Flagship $30k | NFCU CLOC $500 | NFCU SSL 60mo | NFCU Auto loan

Message 9 of 11
Mad12345
Regular Contributor

I got approved for another $8000 on the More Rewards Amex ($24,000----$32,000). I applied at 190 Days per @Jordan23ww .

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.