cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to request CLI--NFCU or CLOC first?

tag
derboesekoenig
New Contributor

When to request CLI--NFCU or CLOC first?

I'll post a little history first:

Been with NFCU since '15. I have their Amex. (opened 10/2018, $20k initial and current limit), Visa Sig cashrewards (opened dec '16 @ $7900,  they have done auto cli to 9400 now, but it's been over a year), and visa plat (opened feb '18 @ $7900).

Don't know why they're obsessed with the 7900. But my question is, what's my next move? Can or should I request CLI? If so when? Do balances matter, what credit score do I need? I would like to hit their max credit profile. Also interested in their CLOC but not sure which move I should make next.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
TryItAgain
Regular Contributor

Re: When to request CLI--NFCU or CLOC first?

@derboesekoenig wrote:

Been with NFCU since '15. I have their Amex. (opened 10/2018, $20k initial and current limit), Visa Sig cashrewards (opened dec '16 @ $7900,  they have done auto cli to 9400 now, but it's been over a year), and visa plat (opened feb '18 @ $7900).

Don't know why they're obsessed with the 7900. But my question is, what's my next move? Can or should I request CLI? If so when? Do balances matter, what credit score do I need? I would like to hit their max credit profile. Also interested in their CLOC but not sure which move I should make next.

Thanks!

The CLOC is fairly easy to get if they are already extending credit to you.  Just know that apping for the CLOC (I still call it NavChek) is for sure a hard pull.  They will likely give you $1-3000 without POI. 

However, it's generally best to ask for the max $15k right off the bat since each CLOC CLI request later is also a hard pull unlike the cards (which is usually SP).  Just know they will ask for POI in that case.  So if your ok with a HP and have POI, going for the full $15k CLOC is a handy thing to always have sitting there available.

As for cards you can find other threads for datapoints on this forum to know exactly how long to wait between requests.  I can tell you though it's usually best to request it online after they do the soft pull each month for best chances. Just remember if you request past $25k on any one card it's a HP for sure where if under it's Usually a soft pull (YMMV).

You have plenty of room on the cards though until their max revolving exposure of $80k as long as your income supports it.  The NavChek CLOC does not count against that $80k.

(Ch7 Discharged 12/12) AvgScore 807

Personal-
NFCU Platinum 50k | NFCU Flagship 20k | NFCU More Rewards 10k | NFCU NavChek PLOC 15k | PenFed Power Cash 25k | PenFed Gold 15k | PenFed Pathfinder 10k | PenFed OLOC 3K | GTE Financial CU 15k | VyStar CU Cash Back 25k | VyStar CU PLOC 15k | FNBO Evergreen 25k | FNBO 11.85K | BofA Cash Rewards 10.1k | Capital One Venture 13k | Capital One QS 7k | PNC Cash Rewards 15.5k | Citi Costco 8.5k | US Bank Cash+ 10k | Discover 14.8k | Discover 14.1k | Regions Cash 6k | Truist Enjoy Cash 9k | Truist Future 6.5k | Elan Max Cash 7k | Wells Fargo Reflect 20k | Fifth Third 7k | USAA PrefRew 15k | CFNA Tires Plus MC 8k | GM Rewards 3.5k | TD Bank Cash 3.5k | Amex BCP 3K | Lowes Store 30k | Sleep Number Store 13.5k | Home Depot Store 10k | Amazon Store 10k | Care Credit 15k | Walmart Store 6k | JCrew 25k | Jared 18.6k | HSN 4.1K | King Size 4k | Buckle 3.1k

Business-
Amex BBC 25k | Amex BBP 22k | Amex Business Platinum NPSL 30.4kPoT | Citizens Business Everyday 35k | Sams Club Business MC 25K | US Bank Business Plat 24k | Capital One Spark 2% 22k | Marcus GM Business 12.5k | Capital On Tap 2% 10k | Chase Ink 3k | Divvy 7k | PNC BLOC 50K | Citizens BLOC 50K | (Private) BLOC 75K | WEX Business Access Fuel 30k | Sams Bus Store 25k
Message 2 of 18
800wannabe420
Regular Contributor

@TryItAgain wrote:

@derboesekoenig wrote:

Thanks!

The CLOC is fairly easy to get if they are already extending credit to you.  Just know that apping for the CLOC (I still call it NavChek) is for sure a hard pull.  They will likely give you $1-3000 without POI. 

However, it's generally best to ask for the max $15k right off the bat since each CLOC CLI request later is also a hard pull unlike the cards (which is usually SP).  Just know they will ask for POI in that case.  So if your ok with a HP and have POI, going for the full $15k CLOC is a handy thing to always have sitting there available.

As for cards you can find other threads for datapoints on this forum to know exactly how long to wait between requests.  I can tell you though it's usually best to request it online after they do the soft pull each month for best chances. Just remember if you request past $25k on any one card it's a HP for sure where if under it's Usually a soft pull (YMMV).

You have plenty of room on the cards though until their max revolving exposure of $80k as long as your income supports it.  The NavChek CLOC does not count against that $80k.

The max CL for the CLOC is 5k for active duty and 3k for non-active duty members. 

The 15k CL is no longer available for new applicants. 

Message 3 of 18
TryItAgain
Regular Contributor

The max CL for the CLOC is 5k for active duty and 3k for non-active duty members. 

Ahh ok, did not know about that change, glad I got the 15k years ago when I did then.  I do know my son recently upped his 1k to 3k without POI, but was another hard pull, I guess thats why it was only 3k.

(Ch7 Discharged 12/12) AvgScore 807

Personal-
NFCU Platinum 50k | NFCU Flagship 20k | NFCU More Rewards 10k | NFCU NavChek PLOC 15k | PenFed Power Cash 25k | PenFed Gold 15k | PenFed Pathfinder 10k | PenFed OLOC 3K | GTE Financial CU 15k | VyStar CU Cash Back 25k | VyStar CU PLOC 15k | FNBO Evergreen 25k | FNBO 11.85K | BofA Cash Rewards 10.1k | Capital One Venture 13k | Capital One QS 7k | PNC Cash Rewards 15.5k | Citi Costco 8.5k | US Bank Cash+ 10k | Discover 14.8k | Discover 14.1k | Regions Cash 6k | Truist Enjoy Cash 9k | Truist Future 6.5k | Elan Max Cash 7k | Wells Fargo Reflect 20k | Fifth Third 7k | USAA PrefRew 15k | CFNA Tires Plus MC 8k | GM Rewards 3.5k | TD Bank Cash 3.5k | Amex BCP 3K | Lowes Store 30k | Sleep Number Store 13.5k | Home Depot Store 10k | Amazon Store 10k | Care Credit 15k | Walmart Store 6k | JCrew 25k | Jared 18.6k | HSN 4.1K | King Size 4k | Buckle 3.1k

Business-
Amex BBC 25k | Amex BBP 22k | Amex Business Platinum NPSL 30.4kPoT | Citizens Business Everyday 35k | Sams Club Business MC 25K | US Bank Business Plat 24k | Capital One Spark 2% 22k | Marcus GM Business 12.5k | Capital On Tap 2% 10k | Chase Ink 3k | Divvy 7k | PNC BLOC 50K | Citizens BLOC 50K | (Private) BLOC 75K | WEX Business Access Fuel 30k | Sams Bus Store 25k
Message 4 of 18
derboesekoenig
New Contributor

@TryItAgain wrote:

Ahh ok, did not know about that change, glad I got the 15k years ago when I did then.  I do know my son recently upped his 1k to 3k without POI, but was another hard pull, I guess thats why it was only 3k.

Oh wow, late to the game on that. Huge difference between 3k and 15k+.

I think I will wait when they update the credit score that they pull once a month. It seems to be within the first few days of the new month. Any tips on what to request on the cards? Should I do one at a time and small amounts or?

Message 5 of 18
800wannabe420
Regular Contributor

@derboesekoenig wrote:

@TryItAgain wrote:

Oh wow, late to the game on that. Huge difference between 3k and 15k+.

I think I will wait when they update the credit score that they pull once a month. It seems to be within the first few days of the new month. Any tips on what to request on the cards? Should I do one at a time and small amounts or?

@derboesekoenig 

You can ask for whatever the max limit you want for each card (online to reduce the possibility of a hard pull).  Navy will only give you what they feel you are ready for (up to a max of an 8k CLI for each card) based upon your NFCU internal score. 

You can ask for all cards at once,

but I would prioritize which cards I was most hoping to increase as each increase will most probably reduce the total amount of credit NFCU is willing to offer at this time.

I posted a thread explaining in more detail what the current NFCU policy is for CLOC:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Personal-Finance/NFCU-CLOC-Data-Points/m-p/6495736#M244234

Good luck on whatever you decide to do!

Message 6 of 18
derboesekoenig
New Contributor

Ok thank you. I will do one card at a time, but will wait for my internal score to improve. I don't want a HP right now, so no CLOC.

Message 7 of 18
white-rose

You may request an increase once every 6months with NFCU via online versus calling to avoid HP. Most are soft pulls (but as with any app, it can result in a hard pull...although not typical). I would request an increase on all 3 cards ensuring that you request the max or 25000. They will usuallly approve amount requested or give counteroffer for the amount you qualify for. During my last increase, it was a SP and a request on all three. All three were approved.

Message 8 of 18
derboesekoenig
New Contributor

What are your data points? What is the score they use--EQ9?  How about previous CL for cards? DTI? What was the increase for each as a result?

Message 9 of 18
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@white-rose wrote:

You may request an increase once every 6months with NFCU via online versus calling to avoid HP. Most are soft pulls (but as with any app, it can result in a hard pull...although not typical). I would request an increase on all 3 cards ensuring that you request the max or 25000. They will usuallly approve amount requested or give counteroffer for the amount you qualify for. During my last increase, it was a SP and a request on all three. All three were approved.

Navy no longer has a max limit of 25K to request. You can request it but it won't be granted as current cap is at 8k per card if eligible. Navy will  approve what you are eligible for but not necessarily what you ask for especially if it's over their current cap. It's OK to try because one day you maybe the one to experience the new capSmiley Wink if approved for a cli, 6 months is the minimum wait period to  try. This is card specific, not account specific like Amex . Hope this helpsSmiley Happy

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.