Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where should i start

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Where should i start

Hi everybody im new to fico forum and there is plenty information that help me understand a lot about credit but i have question if anyone can help me where should i start
I currently have
Bank of america credit card with $3000 limit thats the only card i have and my score on credit karma shows 760
I would like to obtain couple more credit cards but i dont know where should i start i want to get travel card and couple cash back cards any suggestions i will appreciate that
Thank you very much
Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Where should i start

I can't offer any advise on travel cards, because i'm more interested in cashback, but I do recommend checking to see if BoA gives you a real FICO score. The scores provided by credit karma are not scores creditors will use to gauge your credit worthiness.

Message 2 of 31
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

First off. Get your free FICO's here---> Experian FICO Report back. List any baddies. Time youv'e had the 1 card. And the gang will go from there.

EDIT: OP for $1 go to https://www.creditchecktotal.com/ Cancel before the 1st week hits. You'll get all 3 CRA's.

Sorry about the goof up.

Message 3 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover ScoreCard provides Experian score, only card holders get TransUnion score.
Message 4 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi thank you for answering
I checked both places and score shows at
Discover score card 742
Experian fico 742
I dont have any negatives
I dont have inquiry’s
The credit card age is 3 year 7month
Message 5 of 31
Caught750
Valued Contributor

Travel cards... Chase and/or Amex. Check prequals for both. If you want Chase cards go for CSP or CSR and either Freedom or Freedom unlimited (the freedom and freedom unlimited are cash back cards that also give travel points if paired with either Sapphire card. Be aware of Chase 5/24 rule, if you have more than 5 new revolving accounts in 24 months it makes getting any of the cards above very difficult. Amex has some great travel options as well.

For cash back check Citi DC and Discover along with the second set of Chase cards above. DC gives 2% back on everything. Discover give 1% and 5% quarterly categories. This is matched for the first year so 2%/10% essentially. Freedom is the same idea but no match and these points can be used with the Sapphire cards as well as cash bsck. Freedom unlimited is 1.5% cash or 1.5 points per dollar. Points would be multiplied by 1.25 with CSP and 1.5 with CSR if redeemed in the Chase travel portal.
PERSONAL; Amex | AOD FCU | BBVA | BECU | Capital 1 | Chase | Citi | Discover | Key | NFCU | PSECU | SECU MD | Synchrony | US Bank
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
F8 Current F8s ~750 Best Ever F8s ~775
TOTAL PERSONAL CL > $350k and TCL > $365k
Message 6 of 31
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Welcome, @Anonymous. And thinks for giving us exactly the right information to work with. Smiley Happy

The good news is that you should be able to be extremely choosy. There are probably only a small handful of cards that might be out of your reach right now.

Don't rush this. Apply for two cards now and maybe grab another six months to a year from now.

To get going, I'd suggest checking the pre-quals for Chase, Discover, and AMEX to see what turns up.

Message 7 of 31
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Discover ScoreCard provides Experian score, only card holders get TransUnion score.

oops...brain fart

Message 8 of 31
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@HeavenOhio wrote:

Welcome, @Anonymous. And thinks for giving us exactly the right information to work with. Smiley Happy

The good news is that you should be able to be extremely choosy. There are probably only a small handful of cards that might be out of your reach right now.

Don't rush this. Apply for two cards now and maybe grab another six months to a year from now.

To get going, I'd suggest checking the pre-quals for Chase, Discover, and AMEX to see what turns up.

+1

Message 9 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @heavenohio
I checkes discover prequalify and it gave me
Hi pre approved for cash back i applied they ask for driver license and social security i uploaded will wait for results
Amex didnt gave me any prequalify i couldnt find chase prequalify link so i didnt want to blindly apply for credit card as i dont want to get many hard inquiry
Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.