Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which AMEX Card has less strict UW?

tag
silver_idle
Established Contributor

Which AMEX Card has less strict UW?

Honestly, I been holding off on asking since I have seen a few threads popup talking about amex cards but even while reading them and many others, I do not have that much DP to determine which card would be best to get from AMEX that dont have a strict UW since there seem to be vary factors on different cards. I have been reading that their cobrand cards like Hilton Honors would be easier to get, but also seen people talk about AMEX Gold and Green would be easier as well since they are charge cards, but I do want to try to get my foot in the door with something that would have a higher chance of approval before letting things age for several months. I plan on applying between next week and the beginning of next month. I do know there are other factors other than score though. I aim to try for Hilton Honors since I do plan on traveling later this year and hopefully would be able to get into AMEX.

EDIT: To give an idea of my EX report, my current EX FICO8 score is 645. I do believe there will be a few points increase between next week and next month. Currently have 3 cards with oldest being over 8 years and two are from october and december of last year (i know, a big gap and would have a hit on AAoA). Uti is about than 8% (likely to decrease sometime next week due to a CLI and a balance decrease). I have no CA reporting. An old CO from '13 is due to fall off this year so that will likely give a score increase and theres CO from verizon thats paid from last year (though I dont know if I want to call it a CO based on how they reported the account). There is a late remark with my oldest card from '15 and '16 and from discover from middle of last year that I am still fighting with them over, but that account is paid and is current (also had it closed). I did apply for the Blue Delta last month (which is another cobrand card I been seeing would be easy to get) I was denied, but that was my fault on that since at the time my EX CR didnt update and I didnt bother to recon since my score was around 623 at the time and knew recon at the time probably wouldve had it denied anyway (and I also didnt want to risk another HP). 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Which AMEX Card has less strict UW?

Have you tried the Amex prequalify?
EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 12
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@silver_idle wrote:

Honestly, I been holding off on asking since I have seen a few threads popup talking about amex cards but even while reading them and many others, I do not have that much DP to determine which card would be best to get from AMEX that dont have a strict UW since there seem to be vary factors on different cards. I have been reading that their cobrand cards like Hilton Honors would be easier to get, but also seen people talk about AMEX Gold and Green would be easier as well since they are charge cards, but I do want to try to get my foot in the door with something that would have a higher chance of approval before letting things age for several months. I plan on applying between next week and the beginning of next month. I do know there are other factors other than score though. I aim to try for Hilton Honors since I do plan on traveling later this year and hopefully would be able to get into AMEX.

EDIT: To give an idea of my EX report, my current EX FICO8 score is 645. I do believe there will be a few points increase between next week and next month. Currently have 3 cards with oldest being over 8 years and two are from october and december of last year (i know, a big gap and would have a hit on AAoA). Uti is about than 8% (likely to decrease sometime next week due to a CLI and a balance decrease). I have no CA reporting. An old CO from '13 is due to fall off this year so that will likely give a score increase and theres CO from verizon thats paid from last year (though I dont know if I want to call it a CO based on how they reported the account). There is a late remark with my oldest card from '15 and '16 and from discover from middle of last year that I am still fighting with them over, but that account is paid and is current (also had it closed). I did apply for the Blue Delta last month (which is another cobrand card I been seeing would be easy to get) I was denied, but that was my fault on that since at the time my EX CR didnt update and I didnt bother to recon since my score was around 623 at the time and knew recon at the time probably wouldve had it denied anyway (and I also didnt want to risk another HP). 

I am pretty sure Hilton and Delta have less strict under writing.

My guess is having an EX score 670 and above is more benficial.

but I believe I have seen approvals with lower.

As it was mentioned upthread check for pre-approval.

Message 3 of 12
silver_idle
Established Contributor

@Jnbmom wrote:

No prequal, though I could've sworn ive seen an offer back in november but I didnt bother submitting an app at that time and when I did it check again there werent any offers. I just plan on doing a cold app though.

@M_Smart007 wrote:

Yea, I've seen people get approved with a much lower score than what I had last month, but then again there could also be other factors into it.

Message 4 of 12
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

@silver_idle wrote:

@Jnbmom wrote:

No prequal, though I could've sworn ive seen an offer back in november but I didnt bother submitting an app at that time and when I did it check again there werent any offers. I just plan on doing a cold app though.

@M_Smart007 wrote:

Yea, I've seen people get approved with a much lower score than what I had last month, but then again there could also be other factors into it.

DW got a Gold @ 630 and I just got a Gold Biz at 648.  We both have 6YO derogs, but I have 3 times the amount she has in terms of Charge Offs.  Both popped up on prequal.

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -
No PG Biz Credit in Order of Approval - Uline, Quill, Grainger, SupplyWorks, MSC, Amsterdam, Citi Tractor Supply Rev .8k, NewEgg Net 30 10k, Richelieu 2k, Wurth Supply 2k, Global Ind 2k, Sam's Club Store 11.k, Shell Fleet 19.5k, Citi Exxon 2.5k, Dell Biz Revolving $15k, B&H Photo, $5k

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn’t apply until you get prequalified through their website. Scores are too low.
Back in November I tried and it showed only charge cards. 10 days ago it showed HH, Delta and Gold. I went with HH.
Scores in November were in 640s, Scores now 670-680
Message 6 of 12
silver_idle
Established Contributor

@spiritcraft1 wrote:

DW got a Gold @ 630 and I just got a Gold Biz at 648.  We both have 6YO derogs, but I have 3 times the amount she has in terms of Charge Offs.  Both popped up on prequal.

I saw your post in the business section about getting AMEX Gold Biz. Business credit has always had different factors but never had a problem with obtaining business credit as weird as it sounds.

@Anonymous wrote:
I wouldn’t apply until you get prequalified through their website. Scores are too low.
Back in November I tried and it showed only charge cards. 10 days ago it showed HH, Delta and Gold. I went with HH.
Scores in November were in 640s, Scores now 670-680

Even if one gets a prequal, it is usually a strong indicator but hold no promises to being approved. Back in '12 I remember I was prequalified for amex (cannot remember which one it was), but when I submitted the application, it was denied for high utilization (iirc I had around overall 78% util, which was mainly due to a cap1 spark card carrying a huge balance), inquires (some from an app spree but a few others was due to me looking to see if I qualified for contract plans with carriers), and new accounts (moreso business accounts reporting to personal CR than just normal personal credit).  I am waiting a little bit before trying and if I get denied I may try doing a recon. I wouldnt mind going for Gold but not trying to risk an hp for it just yet.

Message 7 of 12
silver_idle
Established Contributor

Now I dont know what it really means but when I checked hilton honors card, I noticed that I have a "Special Offer For You" while if I look at that page in incognito, I dont see the special offer. Do they usually do this or does it mean anything? I dont believe its a prequal though since I do see it on several cards.

Message 8 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Imho Amex doesnt really have strict underwriting and there is a plethora of datapoints here on myFico to prove that. Why else would many of us here recommend Amex for people building their profile lol. Also prequals are nice but they aren't be all say all. Many of us have gotten Amex cards without one. I wouldnt try and get an Amex just because its considered easiest. Thats how you get stuck with a card you either hate or wont use. Plan for the one that fits your spend and lifestyle.
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed. I see far too often people looking for "just to get in with them" type mentality with CCs. 

Instead of doing that and getting several buckets, simply research MyFico for pointers on boosting you CR. 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.