Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Would You Choose: PreQ for Disc & BoA

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which Would You Choose: PreQ for Disc & BoA

I would love your advice, please.

I am desiring to get my first CC on my own. I am an AU on 2 cc and have an autoloan in good standing. My scores are not the greatest as you will see but I am working to change it. Scores right now: EQ 624 | TU 658 | EX 649

I have one negative ding on my credit on EQ and EX that I am hoping will be removed by in about 15 days. (Should I wait for this removal before I apply for any CC?)

I went to the various PrQ sites to see what offers I might get. Listed below are what came up. I was advised to try the Discover preQ and that turned up a couple matches. I also tried BoA. Based on some of the posts I have read here I am a bit shocked that BoA give me some options as it seems these are difficult cards to get but I don't know. I am complelty knew to this who CC thing and don't understand all the strategies.

I would lean towards BoA because it's a MC and I have been traveling to Europe at least 3 months each year and I would like a card I can use while traveling. I do not believe many places accept Discover outside the US. I will admit while at home I am not a big spender so to speak. I buy my airline tickets, do some a few times a month shopping, gas about ever 7 to 10 days, and some resturants a couple times a week. I spend more when I travel but still try to be concervative in my spending.

What advice do you have? What strategy would you use for my situation, score, and desire to build credit and score? Would be unwise to apply for both cards at the same time? If so why?

PreA Discover

Discover it Card
Discover it® Cash Back Discover it® Cash Back
We've saved the info you entered.
  • We match all the cash back you've earned at the end of your first year.
  • Earn 5% cash back at different places each quarter like gas stations, grocery stores, restaurants, Amazon.com and more, up to the quarterly maximum, each time you activate.
  • Plus, earn unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases — automatically.

Discover it Chrome Card

Discover it® Chrome Card Discover it® Chrome Card
  • We match all the cash back you've earned at the end of your first year.
  • Earn 2% cash back at gas stations and restaurants on up to $1,000 in combined purchases each quarter
  • Plus, earn unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases — automatically.

PreQ BoA

Bank of America® Cash Rewards credit card
  • $150 cash rewards bonus if you make at least $500 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening
  • Choose which category you want to earn 3% cash back in: gas, online shopping, dining, travel, drug stores, or home improvement/furnishings
  • View an online snapshot of your prior spending for each of the available choice categories to help choose where you can earn 3% cash back.
  • Make no changes and the category stays the same.
  • Cash rewards don’t expire.
Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card
  • 25,000 bonus points offer
  • Earn unlimited 1.5 points for every $1 you spend on all purchases
  • No annual fee and no foreign transaction fees†
Bank of America® Premium Rewards® Credit Card
  • 50,000 bonus points offer
  • Earn unlimited points – 2 points for every $1 spent on travel and dining purchases and 1.5 points per $1 spent on all other purchases.
  • Low $95 annual fee and no foreign transaction fees†

BankAmericard® Credit Card
  • 0% Intro APR offer†
  • $0 Intro balance transfer fee†
  • No annual fee and no penalty APR†

BankAmericard® Secured credit card
  • Help establish, strengthen - even rebuild your credit
  • Access your FICO® Score for free within Online Banking or your Mobile Banking app
  • Access to credit education on using credit cards responsibly, budgeting and more
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Which Would You Choose: PreQ for Disc & BoA

You can apply for any CC that fits your spend or travel patterns; but just FYI, the BoA portal is not a pre-qualification tool.  It simply provides recommended CC products based on general inputs.

On the upside, Discover seems to have provided you with some prequalified options.  Only downside, not really widely accepted if traveling abroad.

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

With your scores, I would go for the Disco card. I think BoA could be a wasted pull. 

You can certainly app for both though, Disco isn’t known to be jealous and BoA won’t kill your card for adding a single card with another lender, just don’t do more than that. 

Message 3 of 13
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

I would go for disco, their preapprovals are pretty solid, BOA looks like prequalify which doesn't usually result in approvals.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

With your scores, I would go for the Disco card. I think BoA could be a wasted pull. 

You can certainly app for both though, Disco isn’t known to be jealous and BoA won’t kill your card for adding a single card with another lender, just don’t do more than that. 

Thanks for your advice. I am thinking it’s a waste in BoA as well.

Out of the two Disc cards are either one of them better than the other? Agreed about the lack of being accepted globally 😢 but I am at where I am at.

Is it better to maybe wait to apply for a card till my scores get higher? (But to my understanding part of getting my scores to increase is having more creadit but 🤷🏼‍♀️)

Thank you for giving of your time to answer my questions.

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jnbmom wrote:

I would go for disco, their preapprovals are pretty solid, BOA looks like prequalify which doesn't usually result in approvals.

Thanks for your advice and encouragement!

Out of the two Disc cards are either one of them better than the other? Agreed about the lack of being accepted globally 😢 but I am at where I am at.

Is it better to maybe wait to apply for a card till my scores get higher? (But to my understanding part of getting my scores to increase is having more creadit but 🤷🏼‍♀️)

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:

You can apply for any CC that fits your spend or travel patterns; but just FYI, the BoA portal is not a pre-qualification tool.  It simply provides recommended CC products based on general inputs.

On the upside, Discover seems to have provided you with some prequalified options.  Only downside, not really widely accepted if traveling abroad.

Very good to know about BoA. I was thinking that there seemed to be too many options but I was not sure.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Discover It card is generally considered the better of them. For one, the first year you get your cash back matched (you earn half up front and get the other half after the first year is over) so it’s a 2% on everything and 10% on rotating categories card. You can really rake up some serious cash back if you max out the $1500 spend on the categories each quarter. 

Its definitely better to add a card like Disco now as it will propel you quite far through your build. 

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The Discover It card is generally considered the better of them. For one, the first year you get your cash back matched (you earn half up front and get the other half after the first year is over) so it’s a 2% on everything and 10% on rotating categories card. You can really rake up some serious cash back if you max out the $1500 spend on the categories each quarter. 

Its definitely better to add a card like Disco now as it will propel you quite far through your build. 

Ok thank you! I am new to all of this so I very much apprecate your help. Any post here, blogs or books that you recommend I read to help me understand build strategy?

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Check out our rebuilding forum. Lots of great people there. You may even be able to get a good will removal of lates if you follow the process. Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.