Did you mean: 

Which card is my best bet for approval

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which card is my best bet for approval

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks so much for all your help!

I don't travel and I like the idea of 5% cash back in revolving categories instead of unlimited 1.5% cash back (since I don't spend that much) so I app'ed for Chase Freedom and got instant approval for 10k!

How long should I wait before applying for another card?

Congrats on the approval!

The good thing is that the cash back you earn on the Freedom can be converted to UR points if you end up getting the CSP or an Ink+ in the future. So if you don't redeem the cash back that you earn while using the card you can transfer it to the CSP and use it for travel. (I wish I had known that a while back). 

Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

No one suggested this .. .but did you consider PenFed...  could come in handy for several things.  

You should check thtem out.  I want to app for them - but not quite yet. 

Keep us posted. 

PS Congratulations. 

Message 12 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on all your application success so far, OP!

If you're into cash back and rotating categories, another option might be the Discover it, which has a similar structure to the Chase Freedom - the only structural difference being that if you have a CSP, you can transfer the Freedom UR points to the CSP and then to airlines for travel, whereas the Discover it is straight up cash back.

The categories for the Freedom and the Discover it sometimes overlap, but usually they are sufficiently different for one to benefit from both. E.g. this year Discover's 2nd quarter is restaurants, while Chase has restaurants in the 3rd quarter. So if you have both, you effectively have 5% on restaurants for half the year!

Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

with those score you could have any  card you want i wish my score could go higher

Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

with those score you could have any  card you want i wish my score could go higher

My scores are higher, and there are definitely many cards I can not get. It's more than just scores.

Message 15 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

No one suggested this .. .but did you consider PenFed...  could come in handy for several things.  

You should check thtem out.  I want to app for them - but not quite yet. 

Keep us posted. 

PS Congratulations. 

I've read a little bit about PenFed and NASA on this forum, but I'm thinking I'll stick with the normal creditors (AmEx, CITI, Chase) before going that route. I want to be sure that I'll be approved for something like that before wasting the hard pull on it. Thank you for the suggestion though!

Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats on all your application success so far, OP!

If you're into cash back and rotating categories, another option might be the Discover it, which has a similar structure to the Chase Freedom - the only structural difference being that if you have a CSP, you can transfer the Freedom UR points to the CSP and then to airlines for travel, whereas the Discover it is straight up cash back.

The categories for the Freedom and the Discover it sometimes overlap, but usually they are sufficiently different for one to benefit from both. E.g. this year Discover's 2nd quarter is restaurants, while Chase has restaurants in the 3rd quarter. So if you have both, you effectively have 5% on restaurants for half the year!

I was thinking of going with Discover or Citi for my next card. I have a pre-selection for Citi Simplicity with 0% APR on purchases and balance transfers for 21 months, which is the highest I've seen so far. Both my AmEx and Chase card have 0% APR for 15 months.

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

My scores are higher, and there are definitely many cards I can not get. It's more than just scores.

I agree. We have a fairly good household income, which I'm sure helps. Also, I've never had a late payment and tend to pay off most or all of the balance every month.

Message 18 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

The freedom and discover it are pretty much the same category so I'd have gone with one of those.
Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover is awesome and they can grow fast. I love them.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.