Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which card to app for - Amex Blue Cash or Discover or BoA

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which card to app for - Amex Blue Cash or Discover or BoA

Hi,

I have some big purchases coming up and I would like to get 1 new card with a good sub for it so I can earn some kind of reward. I’m prequalified for Discover Cash and for BoA Cash Rewards. The other option is I think I can get Amex Blue Cash via SP since I am an Amex customer. But the Amex I have is a Delta Gold with $1K SL and I’m only newly back in with Amex so I don’t see any preapprovals when I check in the app. My stats are: EQ 750, EX 710, TU 712. I have 4 inquiries on EX, 2 on TU, 1 on EQ. I had a few lates from student loans 6 yrs ago. I’m 3/24 (4/24 if you count PayPal Credit) with Chase but I don’t want any other Chase cards so I don’t care about that.

Separately, approved for $5k on Apple Card but would rather try for either Discover or BoA or Amex so I can earn rewards beyond the 2%.

Thanks!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Which card to app for - Amex Blue Cash or Discover or BoA

What current cards do you have at the present time? And what does your spend look like? It will help give you a more informed decision.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I spend a lot on groceries, clothes shopping, amazon and target purchases etc. This upcoming spend is for kid related costs (after school, camps) and some travel.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Being newly back in with Amex sounds like you had a bad ending to a prior relationship with them. Freshly reestablished with a $1000 cobranded card and no preapprovals says to me that they want you to prove yourself. I’d go for Disco and let Amex regain their trust - wait for preapprovals from them before you try for BCP. Plus, fourth quarter this year with Disco is 5% back on Amazon, Target, and Walmart, so you could cash in on that with the first year cash match.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you...does Discover care about inquiries? My research indicates they may pull EX which has all my inquiries. I went for yrs without any credit cards then I got 1 BoA card over 2 yrs ago which has no rewards, an AF and is bucketed for me since it started as an insecure card. I just got the 2 new cards a few mths ago and have been PIF and doing spending but Amex is only giving me miles on Delta and Chase Freedom only gives me 1% cash back (the 5% gas category this quarter is useless to me since I don’t have a car)
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

From all my reading, Disco isn’t overly concerned with inquiries. If you’re preapproved you stand to do well with them, as they like to be your main card on a thin file. A $1000 Amex isn’t a great daily driver so you may get a pretty decent SL from them. They’d definitely be my choice in your shoes. If you see a preapproval with a specific APR rather than an APR range, that’s about as solid as it gets - go for it Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 7
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

All signs point to Discover. Everybody needs one anyway! Disco tends not to care so much about inquiries and often gives decent SLs. Plus, if you time your spend well on the card, you could rack up some serious cashback in those categories. Not to mention the CB match the first year.

Go forth and Discover.

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.