cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which card to choose? First card, fair credit.

tag
diane11
Valued Member

Which card to choose? First card, fair credit.

My scores are 655 trans, 652 equi, 633 exp and I’m looking for my very first CC (my only debt currently are two large student loans, which had some lates in 2015). I checked the pre-qual site and I had none for Chase or Discover. The Capital One site says I'm prequalified for the Savor. Amex says I'm prequalified for Amex Green. Credit Karma says my odds of approval are "very good" for Capital One Platinum, Capital One Quicksilver One, and Chase Sapphire Reserve. 

Suggestions amongst those? I would like a decent CL but mostly I need high odds of approval, so I don't have an inquiry that results in a denial. I will pay in full monthly, so I don't care much about APR

My goal is score improvement (740+), a car loan in about six months, and a home loan in a year or so.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Re: Which card to choose? First card, fair credit.

Don’t go by CK recommendations. They profit from what they push. Not reliable.

Your best bet will be Cap One Platinum, or QS One. They will be a 3 HP. I think odds better with Platinum, but none will be guaranteed. I’m surprised to see pre- qualify for Saver.

I don’t think Chase CSP is realistic. They like to see established credit with other cards. JMHO!

Message 2 of 8
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@blindambition wrote:

Don’t go by CK recommendations. They profit from what they push. Not reliable.

Your best bet will be Cap One Platinum, or QS One. They will be a 3 HP. I think odds better with Platinum, but none will be guaranteed. I’m surprised to see pre- qualify for Saver.

I don’t think Chase CSP is realistic. They like to see established credit with other cards. JMHO!

Cap1, dicover, and amex are pretty much givens if it comes back for a pre-approval. Yes there's a chance he could be denied, but the chances of that are slim.

Message 3 of 8
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Great advice. OP you got to start from the bottom of the ladder and move up. Yes Cap1 or Disco maybe. But stay away from the QS1. Its a brick. Not to contradict you Blindambition. Card sucks!

Message 4 of 8
blindambition
Senior Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Great advice. OP you got to start from the bottom of the ladder and move up. Yes Cap1 or Disco maybe. But stay away from the QS1. Its a brick. Not to contradict you Blindambition. Card sucks!

No worries FireMedic! 😊 

Platinum seems to grow and PC better. Some have an easy time PC QS One, while others don’t. I would agree.

Message 5 of 8
diane11
Valued Member

Thanks, all! Did a whole bunch of reading on these boards and read all of the advice here. Applied for the Cap One Platinum and was APPROVED instantly for $3k. Pretty happy about that!! Thanks for the advice.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulation on your new Capital One card.  Use it and it will take care of you.  

Message 7 of 8
Lemark
Contributor

Congratulations! Remember to use and payoff often to build history in anticipation for other cards in the future.

wellsfargoamexamexamexamexamexboaboaboa
caponechasechasewellsfargoamexchasechasechasebbyciticitidsrapplecardpncwellsfargo
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.