Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which first time card to apply for?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which first time card to apply for?

My son is a recent college grad.  690 FICO only student loans, no derogatories.

He lives at home, so household income is $150K+

Getting all kinds of mixed info on which card to apply for.

He/we are TD Bank customers but hear that doesn't give any advantage.

Any advice is appreciated, thank you!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Re: Which first time card to apply for?

Discover likes credit newbies

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

690 is pretty good considering the lack of credit.

Head over here and have him check for offers 

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/view-personalized-credit-card-offers/

If nothing comes up then try to target some potential contenders based on spend / interests and go for the cards he wants and not just the ones that pop-up as offers.  Chances are if they're offering one then the rest follow suit other than that I wouldn't go after a Chase CSP / CSR though due to the 5K/10K min opening CL requirements.  Check the T&C's for the min approval amounts to get an idea before hitting submit.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know that being a TD customer has no bearing. I was in a similar situation as your son a few years ago (but had graduated college about four years prior to that) and walked into TD and got the card in my profile. APR was terrible, but they gave me a 5K SL right out of the gate with no prior credit history. I still keep it open and run spend through it occasionally, but it was mostly just for building credit.

At the least, I feel like my account with TD helped my starting limits. I don't know anywhere else I would have gotten a $5,000 limit on a card with no credit history.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.