cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who do you have to be to get a US Bank plus card approval?

tag
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

Re: Who do you have to be to get a US Bank plus card approval?

Many of us have a particular lender that we simply can't get in with. For me, it's Citi. I had a Citi card in the past: it was my daily driver for most of 2005-2011, when I closed it because I was moving to cash to rein in my spending (I didn't know the value of a SD). I was a good customer during that time: used the card, always PIF, and clearly not a churner since I used the card for six years. Fast forward to today: Chase loves me, US Bank and I are buds, Amex tries to woo me. Citi is not known for being a lender with high UW criteria, and yet, here I am, Citi-less. There's something in my profile that they don't like, but luckily for me, there are other lenders out there.

I know it's hard to keep this in perspective when you want a card, but while the Cash+ is a great card, it's limited: the 5% sounds great but  generally translates into a difference of only a few $ every month over a 2 or 3% card.

Message 11 of 39
stw715
Regular Contributor

Why do you want US Bank card that badly? The SUB and extra cash back hardly seem worth the aggravations that costs you on the on going basis (from your posting history). You already have plenty of other cards, I think maybe you should move on from US Bank, at least put in far far back in your mind.

Message 12 of 39
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

I'll echo that a relationship isn't required. I was 0/6, 1/12, 9/24 when I successfully applied. One INQ in the most recent 6 months, 4 INQs the past 12 (tho' only one or two per bureau). Scores above 800. Income just into six figures, but paying both a (non-USB) mortgage and HELoan. It was my 14th card, but the 13th hasn't reported yet.

(ETA - USB was, I believe, the last remaining issuer with which I wanted a relationship. It and Cap1 were the last 2 on the list. Now I just have to intelligently manage and grow what I have. A nice change from the mid-600 scores of 2.5 years ago.)

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 13 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@stw715 wrote:

Why do you want US Bank card that badly? The SUB and extra cash back hardly seem worth the aggravations that costs you on the on going basis (from your posting history). You already have plenty of other cards, I think maybe you should move on from US Bank, at least put in far far back in your mind.

Getting told no makes you want it more. At least that's how it works for me. It's true that a single SUB would more than cover the difference between my current 3% and the US Bank 5% but the fact that they said no makes me want it more. It sounds like OP is similar in this regard. 

Message 14 of 39
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@stw715 wrote:

Getting told no makes you want it more. At least that's how it works for me. It's true that a single SUB would more than cover the difference between my current 3% and the US Bank 5% but the fact that they said no makes me want it more. It sounds like OP is similar in this regard. 

Didn't we just have this discussion, @Anonymous? Smiley Happy

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 15 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@expatCanuck wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@stw715 wrote:

Didn't we just have this discussion, @Anonymous? Smiley Happy

We are all a bunch of toddlers when it comes to credit cards. smiley-laughing021.gif

Message 16 of 39
stw715
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@stw715 wrote:

I understand that aspect completely, but the difference is you and perhaps many others don't seem to get as worked up as OP does and not taken the credit rejections oh so personally.

Message 17 of 39
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Honest question...

Is this for real?
Message 18 of 39
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Remedios wrote:
Honest question...

Is this for real?

Honestly, based on the topic...

Q: "Who do you have to be to get a US Bank plus card approval?"

A: @Remedios 

smiley-laughing021.gif

Message 19 of 39
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Bandit5160 wrote:

Are they looking for only millionaires with perfect 850 scores?  Jesus H. Christ!  They recently denied me AGAIN!  I got denied from them last year about this time too.  I have only had three denials in my life and two of them are these guys.  The other is CITI Best Buy, who a year later came to their senses and approved me.  Look, I am not the absolute richest man in town, but I'm far from a scrub.  My income is near six figures and my credit scores are all good to excellent, in the 740-780 range.  My payment history is perfect.  I have always paid my bills on time and there is absolutely no reason for anyone to think I won't continue to do so for the rest of my life.  I am good with money and my history proves it.  I like cash back and this card offer 5% in some categories no one else does so I really want it but they keep shutting me down.  It pisses me off...the nerve of those people!  After their refusal, I got approved for a Synchrony BP Visa at 5K and responded to a mailer for a Synchrony MC that gives 2% on all purchase and got that one too...7K limit!  Why does Synchony, Chase, CITI, Bank of America, Capital One, etc. etc. always say yes while US Bank says hell to the no?  I can think of just one possibility...I called the woman on the phone the b-word and also used the f-word and s-word when she said they'd be no recon for me a year ago and perhaps they took my name and blacklisted me!

Certainly this recon approach is not the way to go.  Your denial letter will state the reasons you were denied. Politely and matter-of-fact, even.  You don't have dates listed, but I'm getting the feeling that you have a very active recent credit profile that is not all that well-aged.  US Bank typically doesn't like that.

Message 20 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.