cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who do you have to be to get a US Bank plus card approval?

tag
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Who do you have to be to get a US Bank plus card approval?

@Anonymous wrote:

For the record I have two cards with USB and no relationship, I also am no Millionaire nor do i sport an 850 score. 

As for the verbal assault on the CSR, I hardly think a denial is even worth that. Possibly a CLD and no reinstatement.

But a simple denial?  Don't make it personal and they will not affect you that severely. 

There are literally hundreds of banks out there with very good credit products, to get worked up over one. 

Even a CLD and refusal to reinstate isn't grounds for cussing out a CSR. Everything is becoming automated and for all we know, the rep isn't able to change what the computer has decided. There are alternate routes to take like contacting their executive office. 

Message 31 of 39
shoegal
Valued Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@VanderSnoot wrote:

Well said. I had a flawless history as well. I was a bit of a credit snob also. Only took a few months in the hospital and almost dying to completely destroy that. It was very humbling.

Guilty as charged Smiley Embarassed High income smartypants, brought low by job loss during the recession. I recovered, my FICO will recover, but my spending habits will never be the same Smiley Very Happy

Funny how that works 😂

There are still some things I will not compromise on though. Like a good steak. feedme.gif

Or a Gucci wallet

Message 32 of 39
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@Bandit5160 wrote:

Are they looking for only millionaires with perfect 850 scores?  Jesus H. Christ!  They recently denied me AGAIN!  I got denied from them last year about this time too.  I have only had three denials in my life and two of them are these guys.  The other is CITI Best Buy, who a year later came to their senses and approved me.  Look, I am not the absolute richest man in town, but I'm far from a scrub.  My income is near six figures and my credit scores are all good to excellent, in the 740-780 range.  My payment history is perfect.  I have always paid my bills on time and there is absolutely no reason for anyone to think I won't continue to do so for the rest of my life.  I am good with money and my history proves it.  I like cash back and this card offer 5% in some categories no one else does so I really want it but they keep shutting me down.  It pisses me off...the nerve of those people!  After their refusal, I got approved for a Synchrony BP Visa at 5K and responded to a mailer for a Synchrony MC that gives 2% on all purchase and got that one too...7K limit!  Why does Synchony, Chase, CITI, Bank of America, Capital One, etc. etc. always say yes while US Bank says hell to the no?  I can think of just one possibility...I called the woman on the phone the b-word and also used the f-word and s-word when she said they'd be no recon for me a year ago and perhaps they took my name and blacklisted me!

Others have already given you valuable feedback on your recent denial and your treatment of the recon analyst, and hopefully you will consider heeding their advice.

About the above in blue, though, I feel the need to point something out... very few people posting on this site's 'Rebuilding Your Credit' or "Bankruptcy' boards ever planned on having an illness, job loss, divorce, or whatever circumstances led to them having a problem with their credit.  I'll even go so far as to say many are even what most would consider to be, to use your words, "good with money."

You are to be commended for your "perfect payment history," however lenders are very aware that one's financial situation can change quickly and drastically regardless of one's past payment history.  This is why many banks consider numerous other factors in addition to history and income in making credit decisions.

@UncleB has said it well. The only thing I'll add is that USB is also known for pulling some lesser known CRA's like Sage Stream and Lexis Nexus. OP might want to take a look at those in case there's a hiccup that he is unaware of.

Message 33 of 39
Andypanda
Established Contributor

@ChargedUp wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Bandit5160 wrote:

Are they looking for only millionaires with perfect 850 scores?  Jesus H. Christ!  They recently denied me AGAIN!  I got denied from them last year about this time too.  I have only had three denials in my life and two of them are these guys.  The other is CITI Best Buy, who a year later came to their senses and approved me.  Look, I am not the absolute richest man in town, but I'm far from a scrub.  My income is near six figures and my credit scores are all good to excellent, in the 740-780 range.  My payment history is perfect.  I have always paid my bills on time and there is absolutely no reason for anyone to think I won't continue to do so for the rest of my life.  I am good with money and my history proves it.  I like cash back and this card offer 5% in some categories no one else does so I really want it but they keep shutting me down.  It pisses me off...the nerve of those people!  After their refusal, I got approved for a Synchrony BP Visa at 5K and responded to a mailer for a Synchrony MC that gives 2% on all purchase and got that one too...7K limit!  Why does Synchony, Chase, CITI, Bank of America, Capital One, etc. etc. always say yes while US Bank says hell to the no?  I can think of just one possibility...I called the woman on the phone the b-word and also used the f-word and s-word when she said they'd be no recon for me a year ago and perhaps they took my name and blacklisted me!

Others have already given you valuable feedback on your recent denial and your treatment of the recon analyst, and hopefully you will consider heeding their advice.

About the above in blue, though, I feel the need to point something out... very few people posting on this site's 'Rebuilding Your Credit' or "Bankruptcy' boards ever planned on having an illness, job loss, divorce, or whatever circumstances led to them having a problem with their credit.  I'll even go so far as to say many are even what most would consider to be, to use your words, "good with money."

You are to be commended for your "perfect payment history," however lenders are very aware that one's financial situation can change quickly and drastically regardless of one's past payment history.  This is why many banks consider numerous other factors in addition to history and income in making credit decisions.

@UncleB has said it well. The only thing I'll add is that USB is also known for pulling some lesser known CRA's like Sage Stream and Lexis Nexus. OP might want to take a look at those in case there's a hiccup that he is unaware of.

When i apped for my us bank cash+ they pulled TU. Don't know if they pulled any lesser known CRU.

Message 34 of 39
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

They always pull sagestream

Message 35 of 39
UncleB
Credit Mentor

They always pull sagestream

+1

They are also known to pull EWS, and in my case they had LN info at their fingertips as well.

Message 36 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

They use ARS also. 

Message 37 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Now I can see why USB may be considered conservative, they pull every CR known to man and a few more for good measure!

I'm sure some of those "others", that like to hold onto your data from birth. Ans probably do have some items on them that make us look more risky tham the typical big 3.

Message 38 of 39
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Nah, they are not that conservative

They dont hold their noses up at derogs, a lot of customers get great SL, and those of us who have shown some signs of risky behavior (credit seeking) may start on a lower end, which merely reflects the higher risk.
They are no different than most lenders, maybe slightly less tolerant of new accounts than a few others
Just like Chase, they are not hurting over it as average customer will not be opening multiple cards every year, or have a dedicated card for every imaginable spend type.

Message 39 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.