Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who needs AMEX anyways, not this blacklisted ex customer

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Who needs AMEX anyways, not this blacklisted ex customer

For those that got back in with Amex, consider yourself lucky. I got denied today for my old charge off account from 2008. I applied since I was getting pre-quals off the business and personal websites, thought I was in the good graces with Amex, nope. Oh well so far Ive been approved by 4 CC and 1 personal loan, 2 of those CCs I also burned but they let me back in. So who really needs an Amex 😊

20 REPLIES 20
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Who needs AMEX anyways, not this blacklisted ex customer

Sounds like it is still an unpaid charge-off which of course tends to linger in their database 'memories' for a long time.  Some customers can overcome the blacklist (paid/unpaid, IIB, etc.) over time and still get approved, but any outcomes will always vary Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:

Sounds like it is still an unpaid charge-off which of course tends to linger in their database 'memories' for a long time.  Some customers can overcome the blacklist (paid/unpaid, IIB, etc.) over time and still get approved, but any outcomes will always vary Smiley Happy

Unpaid and long time statue of Limits to collect ran out. They have a long memory, which is fine with me. Happy Im building my cards with other, this is just a FYI for those in the same boat who wanna try with Amex

Message 3 of 21
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

As you discovered for yourself, AMEX has a disconnect between their internal blacklist and their prequalification application.  One can be prequalified while still on the blacklist.

If you're blacklisted you're automatically denied without a HP being performed.  This incidentally is a known way of discovering if one is still on the blacklist,  if your application had triggered a HP it would have meant you were off the blacklist even if the application were ultimately denied.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 4 of 21
Ricky_D
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

For those that got back in with Amex, consider yourself lucky. I got denied today for my old charge off account from 2008. I applied since I was getting pre-quals off the business and personal websites, thought I was in the good graces with Amex, nope. Oh well so far Ive been approved by 4 CC and 1 personal loan, 2 of those CCs I also burned but they let me back in. So who really needs an Amex 😊

FenderGuy, AmEx will take you back. I was in the same boat as you. I found out after waiting 18 years, I only had to wait 12 with them.

As I posted elsewhere, when they take you back (and they will), your original "Member Since" will still be acknowledged. AND, when you talk to CSRs, they will thank you for being a long time member.

I think you applied too soon. I suggest wait until the last quarter of this year, or the beginning of next year for sure.

Message 5 of 21
PointsBonus
Established Contributor

Have u tried for the Green Charge Card ? That is normally how you get back in the door....

just food for thought.

Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

They didnt HP me so its clear Im on the blacklist, no worries I now have 5 CC and 1 installment loan on my credit report. Which is what I wanted to build my credit vs only having 1 CC. If Amex will take me back they will have to wait 2 years from now lol 

Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is interesting...I applied for and was approved for a green Amex freshman year of college (1992). Despite my parents urging, I decided that I didnt want a revolving charge card and cut it up and had them close account. I wonder if I called that they would still have that in the system and would be a member back to then? I might just call...

Thanks!

Message 8 of 21
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Have you tried paying them back? Look at it from a business perspective....flip the table and put yourself in their shoes. Let's say you lent a large amount of money to someone with the promise of them "paying you back", and you believed them and took a chance, and they never did.

Later down the road, they didn't pay you back, and you had to eat that. All of sudden, same person comes to you again asking for money.....would you lend to them again so soon?? um yeah, didn't think so.

Amex is awesome if you pay them back. All you have to do is call them up and tell them you want to pay back your old debt to them, and once thats complete, the doors will open better Smiley Wink
Message 9 of 21
ChessChik47
Frequent Contributor

@Ricky_D wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

FenderGuy, AmEx will take you back. I was in the same boat as you. I found out after waiting 18 years, I only had to wait 12 with them.

As I posted elsewhere, when they take you back (and they will), your original "Member Since" will still be acknowledged. AND, when you talk to CSRs, they will thank you for being a long time member.

I think you applied too soon. I suggest wait until the last quarter of this year, or the beginning of next year for sure.

The original "member since" isn't guaranteed...I had a charge card with them in 1993 and closed it a few years later.  I came back to AMEX in 2017 and the date is "member since 2017".  I read somewhere on the forums that they stopped backdating (the history and the member since dates).  Maybe it's YMMV...

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.