cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who should I apply to for highest Credit Limit?

tag
Eyepinpools
Regular Contributor

Re: Who should I apply to for highest Credit Limit?

Someone correct me but isn't it Chase that will report anytime an account is paid to $0 even mid cycle? I'm not sure if that might help you juggle the util/app timing. 

Message 11 of 21
user967354
Established Member

Follow up question- I was thinking about applying with FNBO since they do a soft pull, but it looks like they often request 2 years tax returns?  I'm self-employed, so deduct a lot of stuff..lol.  Is this common for credit cards now, or just a FNBO thing?

I'm thinking to try getting 1-2 regular cards...plus a Home Depot card.

Message 12 of 21
KatSoDak
Frequent Contributor

FNBO does a soft pull to pre qualify but a hard pull if you submit the final application. The soft pull will show you a likely  APR and CL but there is no guarantee either of approval or the numbers the soft pull showed.

I did get the exact APR and CL the pre approval showed. I was not asked for POI. 

YMMV 

Home Depot is issued by Citi so that may help you. I really don't know. My DH did not have other Citi cards when he apped 5 years ago. SL was $7500 I think. 

FICO 8:

EQ FICO 9 - 770
EX FICO 9 - 758

Citi (2) | Discover | HSBC | BOA | NFCU (2) | WF (2) | Simmons Bank | FNBO (2) | PENFED | BBVA | US Bank | Lowes | Care Credit | Home Depot AU
Message 13 of 21
Crowhelm
Established Contributor

@KatSoDak wrote:

FNBO does a soft pull to pre qualify but a hard pull if you submit the final application. The soft pull will show you a likely  APR and CL but there is no guarantee either of approval or the numbers the soft pull showed.

I did get the exact APR and CL the pre approval showed. I was not asked for POI. 

YMMV 

Home Depot is issued by Citi so that may help you. I really don't know. My DH did not have other Citi cards when he apped 5 years ago. SL was $7500 I think. 

Same here, I got exactly what was shown in the pre-qualify. So I think it is pretty reliable. I was also instantly approved. But yes final app will do a HP

Message 14 of 21
user967354
Established Member

multiple apps on same day?

I did an app with FNBO because I thougth it was a soft pull.  I just did an app for Chase Sapphire Preferred...and didn't get an instant approval...says decision to be made and notify me by mail within 30 days.  I also wanted to get a Home Depot card.  (fixing up house to sell), but I read that Citi won't approve any app if another credit card inquiry was within last 5 days.  

I have a very long term credit profile, average age of accounts is over 10 years...but think that a few extra cards would help overall score, as I only have 3...and am AU on two of them.  So trying to get cards in my name only.  And I really want to start using mileage rewards, so probably should have applied ofr the Chase card first, but thought FNBO was a soft pull.  (I got an instant approval on FNBO)

Message 15 of 21
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: multiple apps on same day?

30 days with Chase only means that they have yet to review the application.  Don't read anything into that regarding the possible outcome but call into the robolady daily to check for a change in status.

Never heard of any such "5 day" rule with Citibank, the closest I'm aware of is that if you apply for a card with Citi you have to wait 8 days before you apply for another and no more than 2 cards within a rolling 60 day window, and while their tolerance for inquiries and new accounts is profile-specific there is oft-quoted guidance that one should not have more than 6 inquiries/6 new accounts in the last 6 months.

If I read your post correctly, you currently have 1 card of your own and are listed as an AU on the other 2?  If so, how old is the 1 card that is in your name?

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 16 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@user967354 wrote:

Follow up question- I was thinking about applying with FNBO since they do a soft pull, but it looks like they often request 2 years tax returns?  I'm self-employed, so deduct a lot of stuff..lol.  Is this common for credit cards now, or just a FNBO thing?

I"m not self employed but they didn't ask me for POI and they gave me 15K when I applied

Message 17 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@user967354 wrote:

Why not try for the Lowes card?  It grows much faster than Home Depot.  When I got my Lowes they started me out at 4K.  I called the day after I was approved spoke to a customer service rep told them I wanted to do some kitchen work and needed more money.  They asked how much.  I told them 20K.  They came back with 17K.   Home Depot doesn't show that much love like that.

Message 18 of 21
Crowhelm
Established Contributor

@user967354 wrote:

I did an app with FNBO because I thougth it was a soft pull.  I just did an app for Chase Sapphire Preferred...and didn't get an instant approval...says decision to be made and notify me by mail within 30 days.  I also wanted to get a Home Depot card.  (fixing up house to sell), but I read that Citi won't approve any app if another credit card inquiry was within last 5 days.  

I have a very long term credit profile, average age of accounts is over 10 years...but think that a few extra cards would help overall score, as I only have 3...and am AU on two of them.  So trying to get cards in my name only.  And I really want to start using mileage rewards, so probably should have applied ofr the Chase card first, but thought FNBO was a soft pull.  (I got an instant approval on FNBO)

Did FNBO not give you a good limit? I got 15K right off the bat. And when I applied I just applied for the Chase Amazon Prime card. That got approved for 10K. My wife applied for the Citi card, Wayfair and they are stingy with CL's. She only got 6K.

Message 19 of 21
user967354
Established Member

My card that I'm the primary on is from 2005.  The limit is only $6000.  I got approved for $5900 for FNBO, probably since that is around my Citi card limit.  

I used to Love Lowes, now I seem to get most items from Home Depot.  They have the bathroom tile I want, which is the main project left.  Although, I probably have $5,000 left worth to finish this house to sell!

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.