Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Barclay such a pain

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why is Barclay such a pain

So this all started about 2 weeks ago.  I wanted to finance a MacBook so applied for the apple card with Barclay. When I hit send I got I got a message saying they were unable to approve and they would send a letter. The next week I get the letter saying they need to verify me please send in a copy of your drivers license ss card and a bank statement or utility bill. No upload or email has to be sent via us mail. 

I'm thinking wow this is a pita but ok I will do this and sent in the copies. I get a call this morning and the lady said they can't accept the banks statement since it's from one of my fidelity accounts has to either be a utility bill or a different bank. At least they gave me a fax number this time but I just don't get why this is happening I've never had to do all this before I've had then same address now for 4 years it's listed on my valid drivers license I had already sent them.  Anyone else ever had this happen? If I get denied after all this I am going to be bummed. 

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why is Barclay such a pain

Because they are Barclays. No other reason.
Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Are they that bad?  I have not had any issues with over the past 2 years I have had a card with them.  They have even given me a CLI without me asking.

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Are they that bad?  I have not had any issues with over the past 2 years I have had a card with them.  They have even given me a CLI without me asking.

It's just my opinion. I had the ring card and the cashforward card and never had a problem with them either to be quite honest.

But after reading about how they AA people, I figured it would only be a matter of time that they would AA me. So I closed them before they had the chance to inflict AA on me.

In all fairness, If you are happy with them, I suggest that you keep them. 

Message 4 of 19
Viva-LV
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So this all started about 2 weeks ago.  I wanted to finance a MacBook so applied for the apple card with Barclay. When I hit send I got I got a message saying they were unable to approve and they would send a letter. The next week I get the letter saying they need to verify me please send in a copy of your drivers license ss card and a bank statement or utility bill. No upload or email has to be sent via us mail. 

I'm thinking wow this is a pita but ok I will do this and sent in the copies. I get a call this morning and the lady said they can't accept the banks statement since it's from one of my fidelity accounts has to either be a utility bill or a different bank. At least they gave me a fax number this time but I just don't get why this is happening I've never had to do all this before I've had then same address now for 4 years it's listed on my valid drivers license I had already sent them.  Anyone else ever had this happen? If I get denied after all this I am going to be bummed. 

Had the Ring at the time when I app'ed for an Arrival +.  Jumped thru same hoops: DL, SS and utility via registered mail.  Took them two weeks to get to my info (into it three weeks now), couldn't get an answer.  Then they asked me to reverify!  Told verification dept to withdraw my app - frustrated beyond belief!  In the meantime, picked up BOA TR and Disco Miles.  Six weeks later, app'ed for NFL card, instant approval.  Never a cli on either card (haven't asked either), and no problems/issues with my two cards.  They really are unpredictable.  Now receiving mailers for the Arrival+, and the Ring.  Aah, the irony!

Am Ex | BOA | Chase | Citi | Disc | PenFed | USB | 400K Club
Message 5 of 19
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Im sorry but I dont see what the issue here is.  In this age of identity theft and credit fraud, Barclays asks you to verify your identity for your protection and theirs. They ask you to send in  copy of a bank statement or a utility bill and you dont. You send in a brokerge statement instead and they ask you to resend and you get upset.??? 

This is your fault for simply not following easy to understnd instructions.  Identity verification is very common these days accross all lenders.

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

i think its ridiculous that my fidelity statement was not sufficient.  or that i couldnt send a copy of m y 2016 w2 that also has my ssn and address on it.  i have never had to do this for any card before and if this doesnt work then im going to tell them to go pound sand i dont need the stupid apple card anyway.  

Message 7 of 19
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

".......or that i couldnt send a copy of m y 2016 w2 that also has my ssn and address on it."

You can go down to any office supply house and buy blank W2s or 1099s and print your own

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 8 of 19
JoeLuvsHisCredit
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

+1 They have even given me a CLI also without me asking. I got my card approved on 11/23/2016

I also had to send the same docs to another bank for a credit card to get approved I sent them by fax then they said that wasn't good enough I had to send them by a png file and i had never send anything by a png file but After I sent in all docs I got approved 3 days later.

Message 9 of 19
peghede
Valued Contributor

Im counting the numbers of days to close Barclay .Dec 2017

Pain is not the right word.cannot post it here.lol

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.