cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Citibank CLI request harm app odds for new DC?

tag
Oops_I_Did_It_Again
Regular Contributor

Will Citibank CLI request harm app odds for new DC?

I am hoping for some help resolving a dilema I have.  Any input appreciated!

I have a Citibank Rewards+ card that's now eligible for a soft-pull CLI request.  CL is currently 4K, up from last CLI 6 months ago (2.5->4K)

I am also thinking about applying for a Citibank DoubleCash card soon. 

If they approve a CLI for Rewards+ card,  my guess would be for a similar amount to last CLI, 1.5K - 2K. 

I think I have a reasonable shot at approval for a DoubleCash with SL maybe up to $5K.

I haven't much use for the Rewards+ card, to be honest I only applied because I was getting mailers and it seemed a way to 'get in with Citi'.  But the Double Cash is a much more appealing product, IMHO.

Does it seem likely asking for a CLI would significantly impact an app for the Double Cash card (a short time later, in the following days or week).  Would it be make sense to request the CLI and wait a while before applying for DoubleCash?  How long?  Or just forget the CLI request and apply for Doublecash?

Credit Profile (FEB 2024)
F8 EX 767 EQ 770, TU 773, F8 BC EX 784, EQ BC 789, F9 EX 777
TCL: $124,200, reporting available: $120,995
cc utilization: 3%, auto loan: $5,456/$6850
AoOA 5Y 9M, AAoA 3Y 3M, AoYA 7M
new cc accounts 3/24, 2/12, 0/6, 0/3, INQs 12 months EX 2, EQ 1, TU 1

Personal Cards (15)
Chase/Amazon Prime Visa, Freedom Unlimited, Bank of America CCR, American Express BCP+CM, GS Apple Card (MC)
PenFed PC Rewards, Citibank DoubleCash, Discover IT + BT, Regions Cash Rewards, Wells Fargo AC, CapOne QS, Synchrony PPMC +
Closed (1): Synchony Amazon Prime

Business Cards (1)
American Express BBC
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Will Citibank CLI request harm app odds for new DC?

Unless you're taking a HP for the increase on the Rewards+ I can't see any reason why one would impact the other...unless you've reached some sort of internal limit with Citi.
Message 2 of 11
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

@Loquat wrote:
Unless you're taking a HP for the increase on the Rewards+ I can't see any reason why one would impact the other...unless you've reached some sort of internal limit with Citi.

+1. Also, why not just PC to DC?

Message 3 of 11
RSX
Valued Contributor

^ this

that is how i ended up with my double cash - it was another card (citi expedia) before

i called them and it was switched right away

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 4 of 11
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

The only real reason I see to hold on to the Rewards+ after the sign up bonus is the 10% rebate in TYPs on the first 100k redeemed. Or at least that's the only reason I hold on it.
Message 5 of 11
Oops_I_Did_It_Again
Regular Contributor

@Curious_George2 wrote:

@Loquat wrote:

@Curious_George2

I am considering that; there's no SUB for the DC so no problem there, but I think there are 0% APRs for 18 months, for BT and new charges that I suspect you don't get with a product conversion.  Please correct me if I am wrong. 

Though I usually PIF I like to have the goodies (like these) that I tend to think as offered only with new accounts...

Personal Cards (15)
Chase/Amazon Prime Visa, Freedom Unlimited, Bank of America CCR, American Express BCP+CM, GS Apple Card (MC)
PenFed PC Rewards, Citibank DoubleCash, Discover IT + BT, Regions Cash Rewards, Wells Fargo AC, CapOne QS, Synchrony PPMC +

Business Cards (1)
American Express BBC
Message 6 of 11
Oops_I_Did_It_Again
Regular Contributor

@Loquat wrote:

Your response somehow clicks with what I've assimilated (unclearly) from reading forum board posts.  So I'm not arguing with you, but just wanted to mention that the reason I worry about relates to CLIs as "New Credit", a scoring & approval factor that is often treated as a negative for new account applications (most dramatic examples being US Bank and Chase). 

The nice thing about CLIs is that they are pretty much off the radar, not counted against you as "new credit" but if you are applying with the same bank that just gave you a CLI, it seems like it would be 'on the radar' from internal records.  Why should they blindfold themselves to the fact that you've just requested more credit?  CLIs seem like  new credit too!

Personal Cards (15)

Business Cards (1)
American Express BBC
Message 7 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Loquat wrote:

+1 this 

You should be ok if they find you qualified for approvalSmiley Happy

Message 8 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Oops_I_Did_It_Again wrote:

@Curious_George2 wrote:

@Loquat wrote:

@Curious_George2

I am considering that; there's no SUB for the DC so no problem there, but I think there are 0% APRs for 18 months, for BT and new charges that I suspect you don't get with a product conversion.  Please correct me if I am wrong. 

Though I usually PIF I like to have the goodies (like these) that I tend to think as offered only with new accounts...

this +100

That 0%  apr offer can be huge right nowSmiley Happy

Message 9 of 11
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

I suggest you first apply for the DC, as Citi does consider aggregate CL.    They may be willing to increase the amount of credit in aggregate they extend to you but if you tap that well for a CLI there may not be enough left there to get another card.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.