Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will an NFCU AMEX increase approval odds of regular AMEX card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will an NFCU AMEX increase approval odds of regular AMEX card

Just approved for a NFCU AMEX card. I’ve been continuously denied for an AMEX platinum card. Was wondering if having the NFCU AMEX card will increase the approval odds of the Amex platinum card.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will an NFCU AMEX increase approval odds of regular AMEX card

Congrats on your approval but unfortunately, no. The NFCU Amex uses the Amex network but isn’t an actual Amex card.
Message 2 of 9
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

It will affect the application the same as any other card with the same CL and issue date, for good or for bad. (May help by reducing utilization - may hurt by reducing account age.) Probably no extra brownie points for using the Amex network, though.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 3 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Hi @Anonymous, welcome to the forums.

As mentioned further upthread, NFCU underwriting is separate altogether from American Express National Bank.

What are the specific reasons cited for the denial on the AmEx Platinum?
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Low age of accounts and a 5 year old charge off.
Message 5 of 9
Medic981
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Just approved for a NFCU AMEX card. I’ve been continuously denied for an AMEX platinum card. Was wondering if having the NFCU AMEX card will increase the approval odds of the Amex platinum card.

Welcome to the myFICO forums!

As already mentioned up thread, NFCU uses the AmEx network but is not an AmEx card.

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 6 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Low age of accounts and a 5 year old charge off.

Ok.  Is the charge off with American Express or another lender?   Is your overall credit profile fairly new?  Are you rebuilding or...?

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not with AMEX. credit is in repair. That card is a goal card. I was just hoping that I can do what I can to build a relationship with AMEX to qualify for that card. AMEX wont approve me for any of their cards.

Message 8 of 9
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Not with AMEX. credit is in repair. That card is a goal card. I was just hoping that I can do what I can to build a relationship with AMEX to qualify for that card. AMEX wont approve me for any of their cards.

KEEP CHECKING BACK. If you cant get in the front door, see if you are preapproved on their website for any card and apply for it.  That will put you alot closer to your goal card

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.