Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winning the Disco game?

tag
elixerin
Established Contributor

Winning the Disco game?

heya FICOers, i needed some guidance trying to improve a low credit limit i have with Disco, they have given me a great journey being it was my first CC (secured then) when i was 18, so i definitely can’t hate.. fast forward a year and some change im “stuck?” with a 2k limit that was unsecured and increased back in july... and i request increases often. TU 733 currently

in change since i’ve been with AMEX since November 2019 i’ve rotated away from Disco and put about 60-65k through AMEX eco and recently found out i have a 30-35kish “NPSL” on plat and a revolver that was 61day’d from 4 to 12k.

Amex love is real.. how can i get miss disco to follow you guys think? before my time with amex i ran like 70-80kish in charges (most with a $500 secured and a Post-July $2000 unsecured limit, it was soo annoying and still used debit majority during this time :/)with Disco during the year.. scores are meh cause my inquiries but im still 700+ all three.. any tips on how i can break that “insufficient experience with current credit limit“ line? main goal for now is just $8,000 on Disco since its just a 5% card and my OCD for 14k TCL will kill me.. Smiley Tongue

thanks all
16 REPLIES 16
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Winning the Disco game?

How many accounts have you opened in the past 12 months? Inquiries? If Discover's internal algorithms evaluate profitability to the extent of your account's tranche (among other factors) and where your spend is invested, it's unlikely they'll budge much when you have a fair set of other tradelines at your disposal.

As it's fairly certain you've read a variety of Discover CLI threads, there's no rhyme or reason for how your specific profile would achieve a CLI versus other profiles. All you can do is use it (or not use it) for a while and try again. Hopefully you won't step on a 4506-T landmine 👍
Message 2 of 17
elixerin
Established Contributor

hey @FinStar thanks for reply, last 12 months i’ve opened one amex revolving and one charge card, rocking 18-14-10 EXP/EQ/TU inquiries
Message 3 of 17
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

What is the current FICO score provided by Discover? The inquiries could be one factor, but will remain a mystery as to why your specific account's growth is stagnant.
Message 4 of 17
elixerin
Established Contributor

TU fico in disco is 723, Experian app which updates monthly mid month instead of the end is showing 733 TU, 1% aggreg uti report
Message 5 of 17
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Well, I can only say that just like you mentioned upthread about AmEx "love" being real, so are tranches. It's coded from the get-go once your account is set up (whether secured or unsecured) and follows it through its life cycle. All banks use them. It's risk and revenue-driven.

Potentially, the type of account could be 'bucketed' in one of their many tranches, but on the upside at least a CLI was granted upon unsecuring. So, it's growth is likely to be slow and steady.
Message 6 of 17
elixerin
Established Contributor

Neat, would you recommend picking up a second disco then? i can max the miles 3% cash back first year then pc for 5% on 3k total in categories... OR should i rock the schwab platinum with BBP and gold for the 1.25 cent per point cash back incase i cant find value in amextravel or travel partners? assuming i max each credit given every year whats more beneficial you think

thx for help
Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is no max to the cash back match on the Miles and as long as you have the willingness to provide them with 4506-T if requested, it's exactly what I would recommend getting. 

Message 8 of 17
elixerin
Established Contributor

@Saeren is it a 4506-T on approval or throughout my spend to obtain cashback match?
Message 9 of 17
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

IMO, it's probably a better idea to see whether you qualify for a 2nd Discover card and see what that yields. Have you checked their pre-qualified tool? Let your scores drive up a bit for best results btw. If approved, you can eventually merge both accounts if you wish.

Then, strategize on your AmEx arsenal if that's the end goal.
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.