cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wondering advice for getting United Explorer card / Chase Sapphire Preferred Card

tag
Mones
Frequent Contributor

Re: Wondering advice for getting United Explorer card / Chase Sapphire Preferred Card

Yeah, with the new 90k offer, it could be worthwhile but I would end up paying more since Explorer is 0 first year and $95 after that whereas Quest is always $250. The signup bonus would make it negligible but I believe Quest gives statement credit of $125 per year so there is still a $30 difference which could be made up for with anniversary award flights maybe. 
Is the underwriting any different? For me, for all practical purposes it doesn't really matter which one I get cause I can PC in the future.

Current Cards (in order of approval)

Closed Cards

Current FICO 8 Scores:
Inquires (6/12/24):
Account Age metrics:
Updated Mar 12th, 2024
Message 11 of 16
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Wondering advice for getting United Explorer card / Chase Sapphire Preferred Card

The CSP, Explorer, and Quest each have a mininum $5K SL and I see you already have a Citi core card with CL > $5K.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 12 of 16
Mones
Frequent Contributor

That's true, I just need to wait for the card to report its new CL at the end of the month. By then I'll be at 6/24 though but I'm not sure how tight 5/24 is for the cobranded cards.

Closed Cards

Current FICO 8 Scores:
Inquires (6/12/24):
Account Age metrics:
Updated Mar 12th, 2024
Message 13 of 16
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Mones wrote:

That's true, I just need to wait for the card to report its new CL at the end of the month. By then I'll be at 6/24 though but I'm not sure how tight 5/24 is for the cobranded cards.

Officially they use the same criteria for United and core cards, but there are multiple recent data points to suggest that at least in some cases Chase has been looking the other way re: 5/24 compliance.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 14 of 16
Lostinthegame
New Contributor

If you are under 5/24 and you have over a year of credit history, you can apply without a problem (not saying that you'll get approved but those two are immediate denials).

If you only want the card for free checked luggage and travel a lot, I see the benefit on getting it.

United devalued their miles. What would have taken 35k to travel to a destination, is now 40/45k one way so I would take that into consideration.

Goal cards:
Message 15 of 16
Mones
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for letting me know @Lostinthegame . I won't be under 5/24 till next year but I now have a year of credit history so I may be risking an INQ but that's okay. Yeah I'm mostly just using it for the free checked bags since I do at least 4 round trip flights with United a year. 1 International and 3 short haul domestic flights. Even if the miles are devalued, it'll be fine for a domestic flight.

Closed Cards

Current FICO 8 Scores:
Inquires (6/12/24):
Account Age metrics:
Updated Mar 12th, 2024
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.