cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would Citi take AA in response to CLI request?

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Would Citi take AA in response to CLI request?

My EQ FICO Bankcard 8 score is about to jump up 20 points or so in Citibank's monthly soft pull, so I was thinking of making an online CLI request for one of my cards.

But I wouldn't want to "poke the bear" and trigger a review, because my utilization is relatively high right now.

Part of me says: "stay out of their way, they are not the friendliest, stay off their radar".

Part of me thinks: "it's just going to be an algorithm saying yay or nay, and no one's going to care, so there's no harm in trying"

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on which voice I should listen to.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

11 REPLIES 11
Priory_Man
Valued Contributor

Re: Would Citi take AA in response to CLI request?

My adult response would be if you are doubting the outcome yourself then you should leave things well alone.

On the other hand i get tired of adulting at times and say go for it.

I can't see Citi AA'ing you beacuse of a CLI.
If it has happened in the past, it is a rare occurance that people aren't sharing with the forum.

"Total revolving credit $286,000 Current UTIL >1%"
Message 2 of 12
Remedios
Credit Mentor

They know where your utilization is because they are doing monthly SPs.  If AA was to happen, it would happen because of SP, not CLI.

Ask, nothing is reviewed when you ask, responses such as "too many new accounts" and "balances too high in relation to credit limits" aren't being provided from real time SP, they are result of SP that already happened. 

Message 3 of 12
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

All right, I'm going to give it a day or two until the new SP settles in. And unless I hear from one or more MyFICO forum members who have experienced a CLD or worse from Citi triggered by a CLI request, I'll go ahead and give it a shot. I've been waiting a long time for that particular score to make a decent upward move.  My app will probably be denied anyway, but that I can live with Smiley Happy

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 4 of 12
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@SouthJamaica,

Have to agree with @Remedios , "She's right you know"Smiley HappyHeart

If anyone would have been AA'd by Citi, it would have been me, I have put them through the test in every way possible,

cycling full $17.6K & $10K limits 3X in billing period. Basically ran $51,000 through a $17.6 CL card.

Big payments, little payment, multiple payments.

Went well over the limit in a single day, with 3 other credit cards basically maxed out.

Ran I don't know how many flex loans to the max amount through the card(s)

All while hammering the CLI button to no end.

I only once got a call from their fraud department asking, what the heck I was doing? ..I explained.

They said, just want to make sure it was you. High dollar rare coin purchases online.

I also must say, not one twitch of a decline on any purchase.

Sorry if that is not layed out perfect, very much a lack of sleep.

Message 5 of 12
Janneman
Established Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@SouthJamaica,

If anyone would have been AA'd by Citi, it would have been me, I have put them through the test in every way possible,

cycling full $17.6K & $10K limits 3X in billing period. Basically ran $51,000 through a $17.6 CL card.

Went well over the limit in a single day, with 3 other credit cards basically maxed out.

I only once got a call from their fraud department asking, what the heck I was doing? ..I explained.

They said, just want to make sure it was you. High dollar rare coin purchases online.

What kinda coin, plz? Gold, silver?? Do you think you got a call from their fraud dept because of cycling your full CL or purchasing coin online??

Message 6 of 12
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

SouthJamaica,

I would pull the trigger if your utilization in under 30%. Anything higher might not be beneficial to you CLI increase. They already know your spending and payment patterns with the monthly SP's, so the worst Citi can say is no.

I will tell you Citi is paying attention to their cards. I spent over $2000 on new suits on my Macy's Amex and they called to verify the purchase, which I guess is a good thing. 

Guyatthebeach 

Message 7 of 12
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Janneman wrote:

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@SouthJamaica,

What kinda coin, plz? Gold, silver?? Do you think you got a call from their fraud dept because of cycling your full CL or purchasing coin online??

hi @Janneman ,

I do not want to clutter the thread with pictures,

So I will just give a few links to pics

https://i.imgur.com/7NPRIWF.png https://i.imgur.com/2OSTK2v.png https://i.imgur.com/KC1Twq3.png https://i.imgur.com/LXN2vhI.png https://i.imgur.com/xIw1FB9.png

I have made in excess of 35+ purchase over the last 4-8 weeks.

I would say that Citi fraud called because,

multiple things combined .. not the coin purchases in itself.

As that is pretty normal spend, and I am sure they can see the track record.

I normally use My AODFCU card to get 3%, but I had that maxed @ $25K

I really do not want to be cycling that card in a statement period, as I would hate to lose it.

They are just a small obscure CU. If I were to lose the Citi DC card, it would be no big deal,

as I have a boatload of other 2% cards. I did max the cap on (2) Disco cards for the 5% quarter,

and also the BoA CashRewards cap for 3% online spending. Also FNBO Evergreen 2% was maxed out.

Disco does have 5% coming up on "Digital Wallet" purchases as a 5% quarter, and I can use G-pay through eBay direct.

The nice part is I will be able to use My new Affinity Cash Rewards card and get the $200 SUB ..

plus another $200 bonus for a certain amount yearly spend.

Because of inflation, I believe that rare coins are going to see a large increase similar to the 70's (JMHO)

https://www.pcgs.com/prices/coin-index/mint-state-rare-gold

https://www.pcgs.com/prices/coin-index/morgan-and-peace-dollar

Several of the coin dealers that I deal with at coin shows, are reporting overall strong demand.

Sorry, I do not mean to hi-jack the thread, just wanted to answer @Janneman's question in detail.

Also sorry for anything Off Topic. I will go away and try to behave.

Message 8 of 12
Janneman
Established Contributor

It does seem obvious that lenders do watch all our transactions which I was not aware of....very scary...

Message 9 of 12
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Janneman wrote:

It does seem obvious that lenders do watch all our transactions which I was not aware of....very scary...

They have to be out of necessity as both a fraud prevention and risk mitigation activity.  Citi just happens to be one of the more aggressive issuers at denying a charge due to suspected fraud and sometimes even having a rep proactively call within several minutes to follow up. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.