Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

amex cli - did I mess it up

tag
mfinsmi1
Established Contributor

amex cli - did I mess it up

So my amex bce has been open 91 days but i just recently got a business blue cash this past month...every time i try to get request a cli for the BCE it says im not able to since i recently opened a new account. Did i mess up my chance to get a CLI on this card by opening up this business card? If so when do you think Ill be able to ask for a CLI ? 

Personal Cards (Over $100k):

Business Cards:

Rebuilding Starting Scores - December 2021

FICO SCORE 8/9 - Current 1/6/23

Stats: : 3/6; 8/12; 17/24 --- AAoA 3 YRS, 8 MO --- INQ: EX-6/TU-7/EQ-2
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
isik
Regular Contributor

Re: amex cli - did I mess it up

Wait a few more days. I wasn't able to request it at 91 days but at about 100 I could. Just got the 3x CLI.

Personal:

Business:

FICO 8:
Message 2 of 11
805orbust
Valued Contributor

Pretty much. Doesn't hurt to retry however you may have reset the 180 day clock with them. 

Message 3 of 11
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@805orbust wrote:

Pretty much. Doesn't hurt to retry however you may have reset the 180 day clock with them. 

Negative, it's just that the 3x CLI seems to not be at 61 or even 91 days anymore. It seems to be at 100+ days now (103ish IIRC for me), though for some people it did take up to 180 days. But opening the business card had nothing to do with it.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 11
mfinsmi1
Established Contributor

thanks for the info everyone ! ill try again after 100 days or so 

Personal Cards (Over $100k):

Business Cards:

Rebuilding Starting Scores - December 2021

FICO SCORE 8/9 - Current 1/6/23

Stats: : 3/6; 8/12; 17/24 --- AAoA 3 YRS, 8 MO --- INQ: EX-6/TU-7/EQ-2
Message 5 of 11
learningcredit54
Regular Contributor

I have yet to receive a CLI on my personal Amex but just got a 3x CLI on my one of my business cards. Does anyone know if the Amex Business CLI reset the time I can apply for a CLI on my personal card?  I have heard it does BUT the strange thing is I first requested a CLI on my personal, was denied, and less then 24 hours later was approved for the CLI on the business card.

Business Cards:
Amex Business Plus: 6000 // Amex Business Hilton Honors: 3000 // Amex Delta Gold: 4900 // Amex Business Platinum NPSL POT 5000 // Amex Business Gold NPSL POT 15000

Personal Cards:
Discover It Cash Back: 8000 // Chase Saphire Preferred: 5000 // Truist Enjoy Beyond: 4500 // Amex Blue Cash Preferred: 1000 // Cap1SavorOne: 2000 // Cap1 Secured Platinum: 200 // Cap1 QuiksilverOne 2000 // Citi Double Cash: 5200 // Amex Platinum NPSL POT 4000 // Amex Gold NPSL POT 1750

GOAL SCORES 750 ACROSS
Message 6 of 11
805orbust
Valued Contributor

@OmarGB9 you're absolutely right.  First, you are MUCH more knowledgeable with that stuff than I am, 2nd I just remembered that the 180 days is my internal rule with Amex because....   I'm a nutcase.  Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 11
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Actually, getting a new card has a lot to do with CLI denial as being approved for a new account means additional credit has been extended to you - same as CLI. 

Usually this goes away in a few cycles, so it's not going to hold you back for a long time, especially if you are using your card.

As far as Amex and CLI timelines, everyone should forget "old" Amex. While one is still eligible for 1st CLI after 60whatever days,  it doesn't mean one will get it at 61,91, 180, 365 days etc. It's "whenever they approve it" these days, and for some cardholders it's "when your report is clean and you apply for a new card" 

Message 8 of 11
bigseegar
Established Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

Actually, getting a new card has a lot to do with CLI denial as being approved for a new account means additional credit has been extended to you - same as CLI. 

Usually this goes away in a few cycles, so it's not going to hold you back for a long time, especially if you are using your card.

As far as Amex and CLI timelines, everyone should forget "old" Amex. While one is still eligible for 1st CLI after 60whatever days,  it doesn't mean one will get it at 61,91, 180, 365 days etc. It's "whenever they approve it" these days, and for some cardholders it's "when your report is clean and you apply for a new card" 

100% This ^ I mean AmEx has an internal rule about total CL's and is only only to extend you a certain amount of credit based on income, credit usage, UTL and reports. Whether it be in CLI's or new cards. 

Message 9 of 11
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

Even if it's a business card? I thought issuers separated business and personal credit?

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.