Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bank of america card

tag
usaallegiancestore
Established Member

bank of america card

I recently was in the process of disputing all kinds of stuff on my credit report...started at a 450 across all the bureaus

now i have a 762 experian and a 720 tu and 730 eq

I am an au on three accounts , discover cap1 and care credit

I have a cap 1 in my own name which I got in feb and a sl of 2000!

the current balance is 1200 which I am gonna pay down in full before the next statement 

My question is can I apply for anything after I pay that down and expect to get approved?

I know that more goes into getting approved than just score so since I only have one card in my own my own name and it is still only 5 months old, even if I pay it in full so it reports a 0 balance do you guys think I have a shot at getting approved or is my file to thin.

The guy who helped me dispute everything on my credit report said that I should go for a lowes card, bank of america, or bank of the west...

Do you guys think I should get a discover secured instead? I have been pre approved for it but would prefer to just go for the discover it instead. so maybe I should try the prequal page after I pay the balance down to 0

any help is appreciated thank you.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: bank of america card

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/view-personalized-credit-card-offers/

Check the pre-apps and go from there.  Specific recommendations would require more info on what your spend habits are.

No need to go secured if you're already pulling 2K from Cap1 w/o a deposit.

EX score would indicate a very good chance on Amex being approved.

There have been a few approvals lately with users only having AU accounts and not personal accounts for 10K+ so, there's hope w/o going down the secured route.  Go check the sites and come back with some ideas.

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’m the same boat as you Have 1 Cap1 card at $4500 4.5 years and 1 AU Discover $10300 12 years.  I made an appt with a Bank of America Credit Rep. She thought I would be fine, but I started applying on Lending Tree and got 1 pre-approval but a lot of denials based on not having enough credit history/payments. I did get pre-approved on the Bank of America website, but I have some charge offs with B of A from 2008. The Rep stated they would look at everything and she would advocate for me to the underwriter if I get denied. So I told her yesterday to run my credit apps for business and personal, since they will only count as 1 inquiry.  I’m learning that scores mean nothing these days, everything changed since 2008.

Message 3 of 15
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I’m the same boat as you Have 1 Cap1 card at $4500 4.5 years and 1 AU Discover $10300 12 years.  I made an appt with a Bank of America Credit Rep. She thought I would be fine, but I started applying on Lending Tree and got 1 pre-approval but a lot of denials based on not having enough credit history/payments. I did get pre-approved on the Bank of America website, but I have some charge offs with B of A from 2008. The Rep stated they would look at everything and she would advocate for me to the underwriter if I get denied. So I told her yesterday to run my credit apps for business and personal, since they will only count as 1 inquiry.  I’m learning that scores mean nothing these days, everything changed since 2008.

Just for clarification, the BoA site for CCs is not a pre-qualifier portal.  It is simply a recommendation tool for CCs based on simple input criteria.  Individuals have input pet names and whatnot which can yield with a recommendation for a card.   As such, not reliable.   Internal pre-approved offers do exist, but they are more unicorns than anything. 

Message 4 of 15
usaallegiancestore
Established Member

ya but how are we supposed to build credit and stuff if we can't get credit Smiley Frustrated 

im thinking i might have to go for the discover secured?

Message 5 of 15
usaallegiancestore
Established Member

i applied for amex and was denied like a month ago...but my balance was at 50 % on the cap 1 card i have in my name

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you do the pre-app for Disco?  https://www.discovercard.com/application/prequal  you might not have to do a SECURED if you're pre-approved for a regular card.

You have credit, just not much of it yet due to time.  The longer you have an account w/ on time payments the more comfortable lenders will get with giving you an approval.  An AU account w/o actually having a card in hand and making payments gets you a SCORE but, it's not showing anyone your ability to manage a CC.

This whole process takes a LOT of TIME to make it work for you instead of working for it.  

Message 7 of 15
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@usaallegiancestore wrote:

ya but how are we supposed to build credit and stuff if we can't get credit Smiley Frustrated 

im thinking i might have to go for the discover secured?

Lower the utilization on your only card, wait a couple of months and you'll probably qualify for unsecured card from them.

If you sign up and  look at discover scorecard (it will also give you free EX Fico 8), you'll see they remove AU accounts from consideration, so you'll need to wait till your own account is in better shape and you have a bit more history https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/fico-score-free/

You dont have to have Discover card to sign up 

Message 8 of 15
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Did you do the pre-app for Disco?  https://www.discovercard.com/application/prequal  you might not have to do a SECURED if you're pre-approved for a regular card.

You have credit, just not much of it yet due to time.  The longer you have an account w/ on time payments the more comfortable lenders will get with giving you an approval.  An AU account w/o actually having a card in hand and making payments gets you a SCORE but, it's not showing anyone your ability to manage a CC.

This whole process takes a LOT of TIME to make it work for you instead of working for it.  

time stamps Smiley LOL 

Message 9 of 15
xaximus
Valued Contributor

I would definitely go the route of Discover/AmEx. Both are known to work well with thin profiles. Also, leave a small balance on your card instead of paying it off completely. You wanna show that you have usage. I would say around $25-50 should stay on. Let it report as well.

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.